My Aunt is dying

My step dad’s last sibling is dying she is the oldest sibling , she is 93 and can no longer walk or keep food down or swallow foods or barely talk. She wants to pass at home with her daughters . 

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, Jaunty said:

I'm sorry you're losing one of your oldest family members, and I hope she's able to leave this world in the way that she chooses.  

Thanks. Her doctor came to the house and offered to have her admitted to the hospital but her daughters said they were keeping her home to be with her to her last breath as per her wishes. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My step dad’s last sibling is dying she is the oldest sibling , she is 93 and can no longer walk or keep food down or swallow foods or barely talk. She wants to pass at home with her daughters . 

I am so sorry to hear this Seraphim. Sending sympathy and support. 

• Like 1

I hope for her sake it is swift. I know she feels alone as all her siblings including my step dad ( my step dad was the baby sibling he died 2.5 years ago) died within the past 4 years. Her husband is gone  and her son. 

• Like 3

Aunts are quite unique.

I recall when I lost my one aunt, she was akin to a second mother to me, I lost it after she passed. 

I think one of the reasons Aunts are so special is because they are often the ones that spoil us and give us special treats when our parents say no. They are like a safe haven, always there to listen and support us without any judgment. They are like a second mother, but with a different perspective and approach. 

Sounds like you and your aunt had a special bond and I'm sure she felt lucky to have you in her life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

Aunts are quite unique.

I recall when I lost my one aunt, she was akin to a second mother to me, I lost it after she passed. 

I think one of the reasons Aunts are so special is because they are often the ones that spoil us and give us special treats when our parents say no. They are like a safe haven, always there to listen and support us without any judgment. They are like a second mother, but with a different perspective and approach. 

Sounds like you and your aunt had a special bond and I'm sure she felt lucky to have you in her life.

Hahaha no, I had no cozy family like that. My mom married my step dad after I was married myself so I didn’t meet her until I was 27. 

My mom has no sisters and my dad’s sisters hated me because they hated my mom and I grew up 3000 miles from all family . So no cozy extended family  relationships in my life unfortunately. 

It is more for my mother’s sake I am upset as this is her sister-in-law and they have been friends for 30 years. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

Seraphim,

My best wishes and sympathy - it sounds like she is surrounded by love and comfortable in her own home.

All the best, and thinking of you! 

x

She got to die with her daughters holding her hand in her own bed so a peaceful way to go. 

• Like 1