Is it bad to be a shy, quiet, boring person?

10 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

Social gatherings are way overrated.  It's draining and exhausting.  It's more trouble and hassle than it's worth.  🙄

Sometimes for sure -it depends on who/purpose etc - I find them more draining post-motherhood.  Easier now that my son is more independent (if he attends which he often does). I don't think the OP should attend any if she doesn't care to.  I think if she does she should act in a polite way.

5 hours ago, Dandelionspring said:

I am boring to other people. I like being alone. I’m not bored when I’m alone. But others find me boring. 

I do try to avoid social situations but sometimes I’m forced in them. I really do try to be pleasant but I feel like I usually am found to be boring. 

It's fine to be perceived as boring -who cares what others think? Don't try so hard-just sit and have a kind or neutral expression and listen and observe.  Do you have to do gatherings for your work? We had a rare night out a few days ago. In part to see a new part of our city that's all built up now that we'd never seen.   My son is on the shyer/introverted side and I had some concerns about leaving him at home for the time period we'd be out. 

But I told him - look if you don't want to go that's totally fine -I'll fix you a dinner plate and you'll be fine.  He said - unusually -no I actually do want to go, be with you and dad and see the family friend.  My expectations of him were: be polite and well mannered.  I did not pressure him to talk during the meal or when we were walking around.  No expectations that he wouldn't be "boring" - it's a simple evening out.  If people are rude enough to comment that you are "boring" that's on them.

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

It's fine to be perceived as boring -who cares what others think? Don't try so hard-just sit and have a kind or neutral expression and listen and observe.  Do you have to do gatherings for your work? We had a rare night out a few days ago. In part to see a new part of our city that's all built up now that we'd never seen.   My son is on the shyer/introverted side and I had some concerns about leaving him at home for the time period we'd be out. 

But I told him - look if you don't want to go that's totally fine -I'll fix you a dinner plate and you'll be fine.  He said - unusually -no I actually do want to go, be with you and dad and see the family friend.  My expectations of him were: be polite and well mannered.  I did not pressure him to talk during the meal or when we were walking around.  No expectations that he wouldn't be "boring" - it's a simple evening out.  If people are rude enough to comment that you are "boring" that's on them.

Yes I have to work with people. Yes it does bother me to be perceived that way. 

1 hour ago, Dandelionspring said:

Yes I have to work with people. Yes it does bother me to be perceived that way. 

So is this because you chose this type of work -I'm curious since you say you just want to "exist" how did you balance the choice of a job that requires you to work closely with people -sounds like to a significant t extent? Also perhaps you're thinking you're perceived that way when it's not  true.  Do people actually make rude comments to you? I'm extroverted and in the last year I've stopped going out at night or talking on the phone after around 7 or 8PM (my mother the exception) with rare exception.  I've had some judgey comments - and I don't appreciate it and I've found a way to respond that tells the person - who the heck cares what you think about my current schedule and routine? My response is polite and firm.  When people see a polite and firm response they very often back the heck off.

So if someone tells you you are "boring" say "oh what an interesting observation. gosh it's supposed to be hot tomorrow!"

5 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Sometimes for sure -it depends on who/purpose etc - I find them more draining post-motherhood.  Easier now that my son is more independent (if he attends which he often does). I don't think the OP should attend any if she doesn't care to.  I think if she does she should act in a polite way.

Yes,  I agree.  Politeness is good even if OP @Dandelionspring prefers to be quiet,  it's her right.  No one has to bother nor interact with her if they don't desire,  everyone can be polite,  keep a safe distance if they prefer and @Dandelionspring is free to do as she wishes whether accept or decline invitations.  Idle chatter is fatiguing anyway.  🙄

If anyone dares to comment that you're boring,  don't give them the satisfaction of a response.  Learn to walk away.  🚶‍♀️  They can't give you a mouthy reply if you're not there.  Have them talk to a wall instead for all you care.  😉  Don't give them the time of day because they don't deserve you.

4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

So is this because you chose this type of work -I'm curious since you say you just want to "exist" how did you balance the choice of a job that requires you to work closely with people -sounds like to a significant t extent? Also perhaps you're thinking you're perceived that way when it's not  true.  Do people actually make rude comments to you? I'm extroverted and in the last year I've stopped going out at night or talking on the phone after around 7 or 8PM (my mother the exception) with rare exception.  I've had some judgey comments - and I don't appreciate it and I've found a way to respond that tells the person - who the heck cares what you think about my current schedule and routine? My response is polite and firm.  When people see a polite and firm response they very often back the heck off.

So if someone tells you you are "boring" say "oh what an interesting observation. gosh it's supposed to be hot tomorrow!"

Yes I know. I wish I could work alone. But I have bills to pay until I can figure out how to do that. And yes I’m working on not being dependent on people’s approval. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dandelionspring said:

Yes I know. I wish I could work alone. But I have bills to pay until I can figure out how to do that. And yes I’m working on not being dependent on people’s approval. 

Good for you! Do you have specific ways you do this work? 

I can tell you that the most boring people I've known are not the quiet people - they are the ones that drone on and on and don't shut up, or keep repeating the same stuff, or can't stop talking about themselves, or griping about this or that ad infinitum.     

The most interesting people I've known are compelling because they have a passion for something in their lives, whether it's their work, their hobby, their loved ones, literature, art, whatever.   

Also it's very common for quiet people to be perceived as "mysterious" and there's nothing "boring" about that.   Though, who knows, the quiet person might be boring if they actually started talking, and then people would find out that there was really no deep mysteries involved. 

Anyway OP, if you are happy alone, and you don't want to work with people, and you just want to "exist," I'm not sure why you care one bit about whether people think you're boring or not.   It seems like you really aren't interested in other people yourself. 

Is that the case?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Being shy, quieter, or even being called boring are all just personality labels and don't mean you're not good enough. Everyone has their own flash point, your uniqueness is exactly where your charm lies. Don't worry too much about other people's opinions, just be yourself and live a comfortable life!

19 minutes ago, Panlees said:

Being shy, quieter, or even being called boring are all just personality labels and don't mean you're not good enough. Everyone has their own flash point, your uniqueness is exactly where your charm lies. Don't worry too much about other people's opinions, just be yourself and live a comfortable life!

I think it's rude to call someone boring and it's not a personality "trait" but the person who does that in a rude way in public likely is a person who is rude about other things too.  

Also yes- OP - read what Jaunty wrote -too chatty, repetitive is actually way more boring than sitting quietly in a group of people.  

At work who cares if people think you are boring?  You only need your work collogues to recognize you as a reliable member of the team who is a good, productive worker.  

If you are being polite & civil you are good to go.  

• Like 2

I agree with @Jaunty.  To the contrary,  those who talk,  to me,  are very boring.  Who wants to listen to superficial chit chat?  It sounds so shallow and meaningless not to mention having impatience to have to force oneself to partake in an idle conversation for the sake of pleasantness.  Ugh.  😒  I've also known those who've monopolized conversations and never came up for air.  Where is the nearest fire escape?  🙄 

I'm quiet and just because I'm quiet,  I'm perceived as boring and if I appear sulky,  then so be it.  However,  get me together with my 1:1 friends and we can mutually converse about very deep subjects for 8 hours whether dining,  shopping and making an entire day of it.  Now,  that's serious,  extremely gratifying socialization on a whole new other level;  let me tell you.  😁  Rest assured,  there's absolutely nothing boring nor quiet about that by any stretch of the imagination! 

Just because larger gatherings aren't your comfort zone,  try smaller,  more intimate (meaning not physical)  interactions with close knit friends on a 1:1 basis which IMHO is far more precious and priceless above all else.  

Some people such as myself are fortunate to have 1:1 friends stemming from childhood and for many years.  We're like sisters and can gab for hours non-stop.   We're all local and meet regularly several times a month throughout the year.  Try going that route and it might be more your comfort zone. 

It's actually more enjoyable to have in person 1:1 preferably local friends as opposed to not having enough time and attention for anybody in group settings. 

Like you @Dandelionspring,  I'm shy,  quiet and considered boring but I don't care.  I don't have to impress the public or groups.  I have a few in person 1:1 local friends which is far better.  You ought to try a different avenue. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 5:06 PM, Batya33 said:
On 7/13/2024 at 5:00 PM, yogacat said:

the quiet and shy often go unnoticed and dismissed. But as the chaos grows louder and more chaotic, the voice of the introverted will rise, offering wisdom and insight that will shape the future.

For it is in the stillness and observance that true understanding is found, and the world will come to recognize the power and necessity of the shy and quiet ones. Embrace your unique presence, for it holds the key to a brighter tomorrow.😉

I've never ever treated quiet and shy people in this way.  I've met quiet and shy people who have depth and those who do not.  I don't assume just like I don't assume extroverted chatty people are shallow.  I became much more introverted and needing space at age 42 after I had my son.  I was very extroverted and social prior.  I am not more or less deep or more or less insightful from being more introverted.  I enjoy being around people who are intrroverted -for many reasons.  I don't enjoy being around negativity or veiled hostility whether the person is quiet, loud, introvered or extroverted.

As long as the OP is polite in public or at social gatherings she should be whoever she wants to be. She also might choose to avoid being in public or at soclal gatherings.  Totally fine.  If she is not happy with who she is or how she is then obviously she can choose to make small or large changes. 

I lilke making people feel comfortable in their own skin whether that means they are comfortable sitting quietly, comfortable chatting -whatever.  I know how to give someone space, I know how to listen when they do choose to talk, I know how to ask questions that are not prying but show the person that I mean well.  

I don't think I implied that quiet and shy people are always deep and insightful, but rather that their quiet nature often leads them to observe and contemplate before speaking, resulting in a unique perspective or insight.

This is not to say that extroverted and talkative people cannot also have depth and insight, but rather to acknowledge the value of all personality types and the strengths they bring to the table.

It's great that you treat people with kindness and respect regardless of their personality type or level of social interaction. That is how it should be. But unfortunately, not everyone sees the value in the quiet and introverted, and they may be dismissed or misunderstood.

My message is to encourage those individuals to embrace their true selves and not feel pressured to conform to extroverted norms, as they have valuable contributions to make in their own unique way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogacat said:

I don't think I implied that quiet and shy people are always deep and insightful, but rather that their quiet nature often leads them to observe and contemplate before speaking, resulting in a unique perspective or insight.

This is not to say that extroverted and talkative people cannot also have depth and insight, but rather to acknowledge the value of all personality types and the strengths they bring to the table.

It's great that you treat people with kindness and respect regardless of their personality type or level of social interaction. That is how it should be. But unfortunately, not everyone sees the value in the quiet and introverted, and they may be dismissed or misunderstood.

My message is to encourage those individuals to embrace their true selves and not feel pressured to conform to extroverted norms, as they have valuable contributions to make in their own unique way. 

I feel the same about how people fail to see the value in someone who speaks in a direct way - too often the assumption is negative especially for a woman - assertiveness =pushy and direct =blunt in a bad way.  I know many extroverted people who think in a thoughtful way before they speak and are not chatty at all.  I know people who are quiet because they tend to be self-absorbed and don't choose to learn about the world around them, their community and/or current events or they have very narrow interests like their fur baby, or a very specific hobby or sport such that if you are not involved they'd rather be quiet than try to get to know the people around them -they're not curious about what makes people tick or what interests them.  I also know people who are quiet and have great depth and insight especially when they choose to speak.

Of course minimum standard is treat other humans with basic kindness and respect, try to make them feel comfortable in their own skin.  Totally fine to avoid being around people of course -not a requirement!

Today was my son's first day of a week long camp where he will be a counselor in one of their academic camps. He is on the quiet side and he also wants a paying job eventually so I am teaching and reinforcing good work habits.  He asked me if they know what camp he is assigned to this week.  I did say I emailed the director to follow up but I told him he had to speak up if it turned out they didn't know or assigned him incorrectly.  I said just be direct and remind your supervisor of your assignment this week.  I could have emailed again. 

But I do want him to learn how to "advocate" for himself in a work situation even if he is on the quiet side.  However when he's told me in the past he does not want to go to a big party with other teenagers I tell him that is fine.  That's not a requirement -with very rare exception. It's simply not fun for him because he is on the quiet side.  I loved those parties at his age.  I totally respect his differences from my preferences and I make sure he knows that.  

• Like 2

Better to stay home,  interact and associate 1:1 in person because you have more time,  energy,  interest and attention going this route as opposed to group settings which means you don't have much time for everyone. 

I've known countless extroverts to be very narcissistic and self absorbed ad nauseum and I've known quiet types to be in their own world as well.  It's an individual choice and it's better to avoid social situations if it's not your cup of tea. 

If possible,  try being with 1:1 in person,  local friends for lengthier visits and outings.  It's extremely enjoyable and there's plenty of time for in depth conversations whether personal,  intellectual or anything on your mind.  It's truly pure joy.  🤗  My friends and I delve into human psychology which is a fascinating subject because you'll understand what makes people tick. 

OP I love 1:1 dynamics much better too however only do that if you have the attitude of wanting to get to know the other person and being interested in what the other person is all about.  

I met someone 1:1 last year at this time -she requested to meet me as our kids would be starting at the same school both new students.  She was distant and cold to me at our lunch,  No idea why as she'd been warm on our messages and we have mutual friends and also are on the same FB group.  I asked about her -nothing prying -and she was happy to share about her life, her family, their travels, her kids sports etc.  Asked nothing about me.  We simply didn't click but part of the reason was she simply didn't seem interested in getting to know me.  She wanted to meet 1:1 without our kids or spouses which is totally fine of course but..... why if you're not interested in getting to know me.  If she simply wanted to see if our sons could be friends eventually we could have had them meet I suppose at school.  

I've interacted with her since then -for sure it's possible she's introverted and becomes extroverted only when it suits her (for sure her jobs/careers require her to interact in a professional and social way) - but I found it odd that she wanted to meet me in person 1:1 and yet not interact on her end.  So if I were you I'd see if 1:1 works better in a general way -but then also ask yourself whether you are interested in getting to know the person. Totally fine if not -but then don't waste that person's time especially if she is taking the time out of a busy schedule to meet with youo.

• Confused 1

Observe would be friends before 1:1 get togethers.  The only reason why I suggested 1:1 friends was because I've known my close knit friends for many years.  We don't need to get to know each other because we've established this long ago.  It's not just for coffee or lunch either.  It's for meals plus shopping so it's all day which is wonderful catching up time even though we're local and see each other several times a month throughout the year.  Other times,  it's a foursome with husbands in tow for some outing plus meals.  For example,  4th of July fireworks 🎇  plus potluck picnic.

In your case,  if you're getting acquainted with anyone,  don't wait for them to ask about you.  Jump right in and volunteer information you wish to share about yourself.  Keep the conversation rolling along so it's fair to both of you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

Observe would be friends before 1:1 get togethers.  The only reason why I suggested 1:1 friends was because I've known my close knit friends for many years.  We don't need to get to know each other because we've established this long ago.  It's not just for coffee or lunch either.  It's for meals plus shopping so it's all day which is wonderful catching up time even though we're local and see each other several times a month throughout the year.  Other times,  it's a foursome with husbands in tow for some outing plus meals.  For example,  4th of July fireworks 🎇  plus potluck picnic.

In your case,  if you're getting acquainted with anyone,  don't wait for them to ask about you.  Jump right in and volunteer information you wish to share about yourself.  Keep the conversation rolling along so it's fair to both of you. 

Yes for sure -there is a difference in getting to know first.  I also have awesome phone catch ups 1:1 and that is what many of us had to do during covid.  

OP -I have a friend since 1978 -a bit on and off for a couple of years from 2001-09 - who doesn't lead an exciting life.  I went to her house for an afternoon when we visited our home city -we text regularly -she has a medical condition that makes it hard for her to do phone calls- and it was like no time had passed and perhaps she didn't discuss exciting topics and perhaps I did not either -I saw her new bathroom and kitchen, we chatted like no time had passed - it was comfortable and heartwarming and fun - was it "boring?" To an outsider I bet our convo would have sounded boring.  But the expectation was not to be charming or charismatic or exciting -just to be together, and catch up and laugh.  We go way back! I'm wondering if because of the rude comments you mentioned from others you took it to heart -too much.  I sure hope not.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:15 PM, Batya33 said:

I feel the same about how people fail to see the value in someone who speaks in a direct way - too often the assumption is negative especially for a woman - assertiveness =pushy and direct =blunt in a bad way.  I know many extroverted people who think in a thoughtful way before they speak and are not chatty at all.  I know people who are quiet because they tend to be self-absorbed and don't choose to learn about the world around them, their community and/or current events or they have very narrow interests like their fur baby, or a very specific hobby or sport such that if you are not involved they'd rather be quiet than try to get to know the people around them -they're not curious about what makes people tick or what interests them.  I also know people who are quiet and have great depth and insight especially when they choose to speak.

Of course minimum standard is treat other humans with basic kindness and respect, try to make them feel comfortable in their own skin.  Totally fine to avoid being around people of course -not a requirement!

Today was my son's first day of a week long camp where he will be a counselor in one of their academic camps. He is on the quiet side and he also wants a paying job eventually so I am teaching and reinforcing good work habits.  He asked me if they know what camp he is assigned to this week.  I did say I emailed the director to follow up but I told him he had to speak up if it turned out they didn't know or assigned him incorrectly.  I said just be direct and remind your supervisor of your assignment this week.  I could have emailed again. 

But I do want him to learn how to "advocate" for himself in a work situation even if he is on the quiet side.  However when he's told me in the past he does not want to go to a big party with other teenagers I tell him that is fine.  That's not a requirement -with very rare exception. It's simply not fun for him because he is on the quiet side.  I loved those parties at his age.  I totally respect his differences from my preferences and I make sure he knows that.  

Oh yes, I have been told by my brother that sometimes I come off "too assertive" so much for quiet meek agreement with everything!  

However my brother knows that I challenge blatant misinformation right away and gently guide conversation when I am asked to a conversation vs a declaratory lecture. 

Other times, I am a meek shy little kitty.🫣😅🥹

I definitely agree that there seems to be a negative connotation associated with women who are assertive or direct, which is unfortunate.

It can also be seen as threatening by some people, which is ridiculous.

And you make a good point about there being different types of quiet people. Some are introverted and thoughtful, while others may be self-absorbed or just have narrow interests. It's important to not make assumptions about someone's quietness and instead get to know them as an individual.

That's great that you're teaching your son how to advocate for himself in a work situation, even if he is on the quiet side. It's an important skill to have and it's good that you're finding ways to help him develop it. And I completely agree with your approach to his preferences for social situations. It's important to respect and support our children's differences and not pressure them into conforming to societal norms.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yogacat said:

It's important to respect and support our children's differences and not pressure them into conforming to societal norms.

That's not my reasoning.  I don't think attending large parties is a societal norm. I'm fine with conforming when it works and is appropriate.  My reasoning simply is I'm not going to force him into optional stuff.  There's enough essential/nearly essential stuff he needs to do/participate in.  Which is what has guided my input to the OP here.  I sense that maybe because of the judgments she's received or perceives she's kind of soured on people and has this notion that she has to be charming or charismatic -also not a societal norm IMO.  I hope she has more positive interactions with people in social and work situations so that her perspective starts to shift and be a bit more balanced and maybe a bit more positive.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Yes for sure -there is a difference in getting to know first.  I also have awesome phone catch ups 1:1 and that is what many of us had to do during covid.  

OP -I have a friend since 1978 -a bit on and off for a couple of years from 2001-09 - who doesn't lead an exciting life.  I went to her house for an afternoon when we visited our home city -we text regularly -she has a medical condition that makes it hard for her to do phone calls- and it was like no time had passed and perhaps she didn't discuss exciting topics and perhaps I did not either -I saw her new bathroom and kitchen, we chatted like no time had passed - it was comfortable and heartwarming and fun - was it "boring?" To an outsider I bet our convo would have sounded boring.  But the expectation was not to be charming or charismatic or exciting -just to be together, and catch up and laugh.  We go way back! I'm wondering if because of the rude comments you mentioned from others you took it to heart -too much.  I sure hope not.

Boring is subjective.  What's boring to some is not boring to others.  Opposites can attract but I've found  having a lot in common is very relatable.   There are so many variables whether socioeconomic,  demographics,  personality and characteristic traits,  backgrounds,  geographic,  sometimes political,  religion and it runs the gamut.  Sure,  people can be superficially polite but in order to dig deeper,  there needs to be a common thread somewhere. 

As for women being assertive and direct,  I certainly am and I like it as long as it's done with tact.  I don't like obnoxious rudeness in order to get a point across and I've encountered plenty of those in my lifetime. ☹️ Some people are perceived as "witchy" to put it mildly if they're headstrong and outspoken.  There is a way to stand one's ground while maintaining respectful,  graceful behavior. 

OP @Dandelionspring, only you know who you are so work with what you've got.  Don't force yourself to change if it feels unnatural and uncomfortable.  No sense placing yourself in awkward situations.  Do what you feel is best.  🙂

I have different takes on the 'boring' topic.  Sometimes shy and quiet people are perceived as arrogant and snobby but they're not boring.  To the contrary,  quiet people are actually bored 🥱 with the social setting but they're not boring. 

Many times,  social settings are considered a waste of time and energy if it doesn't feel rewarding to attend and be there in the first place. 

Pick and choose what you decide to do OP @Dandelionspring.   Just because you're shy and quiet,  it doesn't mean you're a loner.  Sure,  I enjoy being by myself but I also enjoy 1:1 in depth,  lengthy interactions as opposed to cattle call gatherings.  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Don't care what other people think because they don't matter.  Focus on enjoying what you like to do.  Cast everyone else aside because they're certainly not losing sleep over you.  😴💤

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 11:20 AM, Batya33 said:

That's not my reasoning.  I don't think attending large parties is a societal norm. I'm fine with conforming when it works and is appropriate.  My reasoning simply is I'm not going to force him into optional stuff.  There's enough essential/nearly essential stuff he needs to do/participate in.  Which is what has guided my input to the OP here.  I sense that maybe because of the judgments she's received or perceives she's kind of soured on people and has this notion that she has to be charming or charismatic -also not a societal norm IMO.  I hope she has more positive interactions with people in social and work situations so that her perspective starts to shift and be a bit more balanced and maybe a bit more positive.

Yes. I guess I have had bad interactions with people that led me to believe that I am supposed to be charming and charismatic or else I’m useless. I guess that’s not true. 

As to everyone else, yes 1:1 might suit me well. And yes I do find interest in people usually. 

Anyway, yes I should just be my boring self.  And that’s ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dandelionspring Don't be convinced that you're supposed to be charming and charismatic.  I find charming and charismatic people to be phony because it's superficial and all just for show.  You'd be shocked to discover who they really are whenever they're not "on" as charming and charismatic folks.  It's a very rude awakening when you realize their warts and all.  It's unattractive and if anything,  you'd be thoroughly disgusted to know their real unsavory characters.  Granted,  not all are this way but unfortunately,  a great many of them are so don't be fooled by their charming and charismatic exterior because it's just a front.  Many of them are narcissists, too.  It's for your entertainment only and then their real selves are somebody you don't want to know!  😒

Yes 1:1 is great.  Crowds are way overrated. ☹️

You may think you're boring but when you're with a 1:1 type arrangement,  you're not boring at all.  Give yourself a chance.  You just need to crawl out of your shell but it doesn't mean you have to be in groups either. 

On 7/13/2024 at 5:00 PM, yogacat said:

In a world of constant noise and pressure to fit in, the quiet and shy often go unnoticed and dismissed. But as the chaos grows louder and more chaotic, the voice of the introverted will rise, offering wisdom and insight that will shape the future.

For it is in the stillness and observance that true understanding is found, and the world will come to recognize the power and necessity of the shy and quiet ones. Embrace your unique presence, for it holds the key to a brighter tomorrow.😉

Adding that to my quote collection. Might need to pull that one out if I'm ever in need of some inspiration.

• Like 1