Spinoff of YC's 'Standing Alone' Thread

4 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

^^This is what I was referring to earlier. Your very first instinct was to protect and help!

To be honest, it was not as altruistic as all that.  There was really no risk to me except if I were to have accidentally been bitten which was unlikely.   If a bear had been chasing all 3 of us I think I would have sprinted for cover, grabbed my evil terrorist, and left Sappho the Pyr to handle the bear for us all.

• Like 1

@Jaunty,

5 hours ago, Jaunty said:

I noticed that I was willing to throw myself between my demonic Emotional Support Terrier and 2 100 pound beasts in order to save her life.  So I'd probably do it for a beloved person as well.  

@Jaunty fair enough my response was mostly based on this^^ (bolded).

But I suppose you and everyone is right, one can't truly know how they'll react unless and until they are in that situation.  

After reading all the responses, I do feel better about the guy who ran ahead of his girlfriend and climbed the tree.  He was probably in such a panic, he may not even been thinking clearly!   

It must of been heart-wrenching and gut-wrenching watching his GF being mauled to death!  He's no doubt going through his own hell because of it and will for the rest of his life, he doesn't need my or anyone's judgment.

P.S.  I always wanted to live in Oregon!  There or Idaho.  When my dad was alive, he owned a cabin in the Sierra Nevada mountains, I used to visit and my brother lives there now and loves it!  We all love nature, we lived in suburban New York but spent summers on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire on the foothills of the White Mountains --  hiking, water skiing, boating, fishing!!!  I actually really love fishing!

Sounds like you live an awesome life with your gf and all your animals, I have no doubt if you were ever being charged by an angry bear while with your gf, you would do just what you did with your dogs!!

This topic reminds me of when I was so upset watching one of these "based on actual events" where a young family got caught in. a blizzard driving to Oregon from California. The wife was being interviewed and she admitted she was yelling at her husband to get out and find help and he didnt want to because he thought the safest thing was to stay put. They had two little ones (one was an infant). By the 3rd day, no help and still under a white blizzard, the husband decides he was going to get help. However, they've all been starving so he was way disoriented, and he couldn't see the roads and died. Broke my heart. While I was watching it, I found myself mad at the husband, mad at the wife, mad at the husband again, and then the wife haha. Then I realized when these type of life and death situation arises, its hard to decide what is right and what is wrong. Especially when you are getting attacked by bear, thats a split second you have to decide what to do, and you might not even be thinking but just going off your instinct.

Another example, my brother's house was broken into in the middle of the night while he was home and he said he was so scared that he literally hid and just froze (and he now carries after that incident). He never thought in a million years he would ever just let someone walk into his house and froze out of fear. And he's a big guy! Haha

I'm not sure if I answered the questions on here but just wanted to chime in my experiences from watching those type of life and death situation shows and my brother's experience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LootieTootie said:

This topic reminds me of when I was so upset watching one of these "based on actual events" where a young family got caught in. a blizzard driving to Oregon from California. The wife was being interviewed and she admitted she was yelling at her husband to get out and find help and he didnt want to because he thought the safest thing was to stay put. They had two little ones (one was an infant). By the 3rd day, no help and still under a white blizzard, the husband decides he was going to get help. However, they've all been starving so he was way disoriented, and he couldn't see the roads and died. Broke my heart.

I recall reading about that story, it broke my heart too.  I always think of my own dad in a situation like that with my mom and all the kids, no doubt he must have been in a panic but trying to appear calm, hoping and praying they would be found.

I am nearly in tears now just thinking about it, it's just the saddest thing.

3 minutes ago, LootieTootie said:

Yes. She was on the show being interviewed, and he wasn't so I knew he died before the show even said it.

Unfortunately, that is usually the sad result . 😓The correct response is to stay with the vehicle and not wander off. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Unfortunately, that is usually the sad result . 😓The correct response is to stay with the vehicle and not wander off. 

Yes I think thats what her husband had said and she admitted they were arguing about it. He wanted to stay put because thats what everyone say to do during a blizzard. She wanted him to go out and get help because she was worried they would starve knowing there was a week long storm. 

I was so mad at them for traveling if they had known there would be a storm but they "done it every winter with no issues." 

16 minutes ago, LootieTootie said:

Yes I think thats what her husband had said and she admitted they were arguing about it. He wanted to stay put because thats what everyone say to do during a blizzard. She wanted him to go out and get help because she was worried they would starve knowing there was a week long storm. 

I was so mad at them for traveling if they had known there would be a storm but they "done it every winter with no issues." 

I was out walking last evening thinking about this story and when I was around 19-20, I drove cross-country (New York to California) in my little red two seater.  Stupidly and naively I took the northern route and encountered a very bad snow storm around 5,000 feet above sea level and could not see so had to pull over at a road stop and wait for the storm to clear.

There were other people there and they invited me into their van to wait.

Man I am thinking now I was SOOOOO lucky.  Firstly because the people who invited me into their van were so nice and secondly because I came across that road stop and did not get stuck like that poor family did.

It's so hard to know what to do in that moment!   

Anyway, I finally arrived in CA and had an enjoyable visit with my friend and took the southern route back to New York. 😂

If anyone likes a suspense/thriller involving animals gone crazy, Stephen Kings ‘Cujo’ is a pretty good read! 

Mother and son trapped in their car during a heatwave by a circling, rabies crazed St. Bernard!

(I don’t know much about dog breeds but St. Bernard’s are gentle giants who were bread to save drowning sailors I read once! Anyway!)

I read it when I was about 12 and it’s always stuck with me.

x

On 7/10/2024 at 1:13 AM, mylolita said:

If anyone likes a suspense/thriller involving animals gone crazy, Stephen Kings ‘Cujo’ is a pretty good read! 

Mother and son trapped in their car during a heatwave by a circling, rabies crazed St. Bernard!

(I don’t know much about dog breeds but St. Bernard’s are gentle giants who were bread to save drowning sailors I read once! Anyway!)

I read it when I was about 12 and it’s always stuck with me.

x

I met a dog named Cujo and I thought it was just wild that his parents would name him Cujo. 

• Haha 1

I was thinking of this thread because of the reporting of how the firefighter who was murdered Saturday at the rally so tragically died while covering his family with his body to protect them. May he rest in peace. Yes a true hero. I am so saddened by this loss of life and for his family. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I was thinking of this thread because of the reporting of how the firefighter who was murdered Saturday at the rally so tragically died while covering his family with his body to protect them. May he rest in peace. Yes a true hero. I am so saddened by this loss of life and for his family. 

I thought the same. ALWAYS expected of men and never women. 

• Like 1