Advice to help get the best out of my 20’s

Hi guys,

I turned 22 in March. I’m a newly qualified mental health nurse in the NHS UK been qualified since January so I have to still go through a process to say i can work on my own.

i was just writing as wanted advice how to become successful by my 30’s. I am interested in mental health related roles however I don’t see myself always being a nurse due to burnout and how the NHS currently is. I’ve come out of a breakup 8 months ago and now I’m trying to devote my time to improving and making sure I don’t waste my time in my 20’s away by focusing on myself and my career before another relationship.

i already have a degree with mental health nursing however I am interested in further education but this will probably need paying which can be upto 10 grand a year. I want to be on a good wage by a few years as currently in the uk a band 5 mental health nurse is 28,500 which is what I am on before tax. Any advice how to improve my life, better finance and more fulfilled life going into further years would be great! Open to ideas

Thanks for reading

10 hours ago, Cat1203 said:

Hi guys,

I turned 22 in March. I’m a newly qualified mental health nurse in the NHS UK been qualified since January so I have to still go through a process to say i can work on my own.

i was just writing as wanted advice how to become successful by my 30’s. I am interested in mental health related roles however I don’t see myself always being a nurse due to burnout and how the NHS currently is. I’ve come out of a breakup 8 months ago and now I’m trying to devote my time to improving and making sure I don’t waste my time in my 20’s away by focusing on myself and my career before another relationship.

i already have a degree with mental health nursing however I am interested in further education but this will probably need paying which can be upto 10 grand a year. I want to be on a good wage by a few years as currently in the uk a band 5 mental health nurse is 28,500 which is what I am on before tax. Any advice how to improve my life, better finance and more fulfilled life going into further years would be great! Open to ideas

Thanks for reading

My friends in your field made more $ by going into private practice.  I went back to grad school on my 25th birthday, then worked 15 years full time in that career after graduating. Paid off loans in 3 years, saved $$$$$ for the next 11 years knowing I'd like to be a SAHM if I got married and was able to have or adopt a baby.  I'm almost 58, have been financially independent since 1997 and have been back to working -part time -since my son was 7 years old. So, almost 8 years.  I don't have to work but I want to work.  I worked my behind off in grad school and for the 15 years after way more than full time and for sure at times felt burnt out and fried but it paid off - I got the promotions, salary and bonuses I wanted, the network that has followed me for all these years, awesome mentors and I mentored many.

My first career was elementary school teaching which I did for about 3 years. It didn't pay the bills.  And I was in situations where I loved teaching children and was treated very badly by certain administrators.  I faced my fears of switching to my other chosen career and faced my fears of going to a very intense grad program.  But I knew I wanted to make more $ and I knew I'd be good at the other career too.  I ended up volunteering in the education field for many years so I kept my toes in that way.

This is a fabulous time to meet with seasoned professionals iny your chosen career path and be very direct about your concerns -burnout and $.  You'll pay it forward later as I did and still do.  

If formal continued education in not your budget right now that is OK but you can always keep learning. 

1.  Network.  Form relationships with more senior people who can mentor you & whom you can emulate. 

2.  Read . . . in your field & about the business of health care 

3.  Attending continuing education events / seminars etc. 

4.  Work on yourself.  Polish your public speaking skills & other business skills to help advance your career & manage your finances 

5.  Start saving now.  If you get in the habit of stashing away 10-20% of your pay check, banking raises & over time & save save save, the miracle of compound interest over time will have you get for retirement 40 years from now 

• Like 1