Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Worst Bear Attack Ever!! True Story....

rainbowsandroses

Hey guys, over the weekend I watched a great flick on Netflix called "Backcountry," it's based on a true story about a couple camping and hiking in northern Ontario and were attacked by a predatory black bear.

In the movie, it was the boyfriend who was mauled to death (the most gruesome bear attack I have ever seen on screen - worse than The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio - when in reality it was the woman who was mauled to death while her boyfriend looked on helpless.

Anyway, this was another one of Netflix' low budget films but really REALLY good and worth watching.  It received good reviews overall if anyone is interested.

Since watching this flick, I have become quite enthralled with bears and learning all I can about them!  Black bears and Grizzlies mostly.   I have been watching documentaries about their behavior and why they attack and also reading and watching stories of other attacks.  I watched the documentary "Grizzly Man" which was also a true story about a man who was mauled to death by the very bear he had lived peacefully with (among other black bears) for 13 summers prior to the attack.

I learned that bear encounters are plentiful but it's very very rare when they attack, about 1 in 2.1 MILLION.  And that in many cases, they are only trying to protect their cubs, they are as fearful of humans as humans are of them.

EXCEPT when they are starving and in predatory mode which is even more rare.  The response is the same though, try and remain calm, back away slowly moving sideways, wave your arms so they know you're human and not a threat and DON'T scream or run.

One of my bosses (the one I am tight with)  goes hiking and camping with his kids quite often and he has encountered plenty of black bears.  In fact on his last trip, he told me that he and his sons came across a black bear with her cubs, she was about six feet away and staring at him growling. 

The bear inched towards him and my boss began talking to the bear, normal tone, making himself look as big as possible, remaining calm and the bear then turned around and walked away with her cubs in tow.

Wow, THAT could have turned out quite differently had he reacted differently like panicking, running away, shooting at the bear or acting in a fearful and aggressive manner.  THAT bear would have come charging and I shudder imagining what would have happened after that! 

I am going hiking and camping next month in Montana (Yellowstone National Park). I am going with a group.   There are sure to be LOTS of bears roaming around and am learning all I can about what to do (and not do) when/if I encounter one.  

Another great movie I watched years ago which I will never forget is called "The Bear," it's a French film about an orphaned cub who befriends a large adult male Kodiak bear being pursued by two bear hunters.

That film was one of most most beautiful and magnificent pieces of cinematic art I have ever seen, I won't say more.

Wish me luck on my trip! 🙂

Enjoy your trip!My husband and our son are headed to southern ontario over the next day! I don't think they will have bear sightings though.  We did a national park trip out west this past December.  Amazing!

I read the book Midnight Library recently.  There is a chapter involving an encounter with a wild animal.  Don't want to do spoilers though! It was amazing with its imagery.

• Thanks 1

Your trip sounds lovely.

I think it is said that you have a greater chance of being injured by lightning than by a bear in Yellowstone. But both obviously can be serious (especially if you are up a tree hiding and the tree gets struck by lightning). 🙂

With grizzly's, brown bears, I think the rule is to play dead, because there's like no chance of outrunning them or anything and fighting back, you'll lose. With black bears, don't bother going up trees because they're better climbers than we are.

You have a better chance fighting off a Black Bear vs. Grizzley.

Bring bear spray just in case!

I hate flying but I have heard you have a greater chance of a coconut falling from a tree and hitting you on the head and killing you than of dying in a plane crash so yay for travel!

I know it doesn't quite assuage those irrational fears though, but don't do what I do before flying and watch documentaries of plane crashes. I have issues. 😂

I was deeply fascinated with learning about lions years ago and read some pretty great books about their intricate social dynamics.

Seriously though, what a fantastic opportunity. Yellowstone is stunning. Enjoy!

If you enjoy nature, there is a really good documentary on Nat Geo about powerful sisterhoods within the animal kingdom. It includes lots of footage of a female brown bear and her three cubs on the sedge meadows of Alaska:

• Thanks 1

Yogacat, thank you for the video and well wishes!  I don't have time to watch it now but will later, I am looking forward to it!  

It looks similar to the film I mentioned in my OP, "The Bear." It is so heartwarming observing a female bear with her cubs, and it explains their protective and territorial nature.

I read that playing dead can work when she (the bear) is in defensive mode protecting cubs.  When a bear is hungry and in predatory mode, not sure how effective that would be although I did read that too.  But my thought is that if they're hungry, it doesn't matter if you're dead, they're gonna want to eat you!   But what do I know I am just learning about all this.

I am not afraid and I do kind of hope there are at least a few sightings.  Not too close though!  But you're right I have had a few experienced hikers tell me it's doubtful I will encounter one in Yellowstone.

Thanks again for the video!!  Honestly I cannot wait to get home tonight to watch. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I read the book Midnight Library recently.  There is a chapter involving an encounter with a wild animal.  Don't want to do spoilers though! It was amazing with its imagery.

Thanks Bat!  I may check out the book.  I love adventure stories and dangerous tales about wild animal encounters.  

I actually surprised myself by being able to watch gruesome bear attacks in their entirety without flinching!  True stories like the one in the film Backcountry.  The Revenant was also a true story.

Typically I am NOT able to watch any type of gruesomeness like in slasher movies.

But for some reason I was captivated watching the bear attacks.  Not sure what that says about me (my dark side?), I mean it's not that I actually enjoyed seeing someone get ripped to shreds and eaten but it was captivating nevertheless.

The sheer power of the animals, their bite and their ferocious growl!   

I will update after my trip!

• Like 1

It should be fun!

I grew up watching animal and nature shows with my father, I couldn't stomach it at the time. I used to cry.

We used to always go camping. In a tiny little plastic tent lol.

When I got older I could watch, but now, I can't (have to fast forward most of it) LOL.

Bear's sense of smell is so impressively intriguing. The Jacobson's organ for detecting pheromones and other chemicals in the air. Albeit, sharks have a pretty amazing sense of smell too, better even.

It's amazing how bears can track and identify different scents from miles away. And the fact that their sense of smell is more developed than their eyesight, allowing them to use their nose to detect changes in the environment, even an oncoming storm. Neato~!

I surmise their sense of smell is a huge asset in foraging for food, since they are mostly foragers, with the exception of maybe polar bears, especially during the colder months when food sources are scarce.

How animals develop each of their senses based on their surrounding or lifestyle is truly fascinating. I believe there is so much more we have yet to discover and understand about the animal kingdom.

I've got pepper trees in my backyard and each day in the summer, swarms of honeybees are back there diligently working hard to procure their little honey pot. It's like, don't those suckers ever get tired? 🤣

Nature is truly amazing~!

Your trip will be a blast!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

Bear's sense of smell is so impressively intriguing.

Yes it IS!  And their overall sensory perception. 

I got to talking about the film Backcountry with a man in my group today and we surmised the reason why the bear attacked in that situation, where the couple was in their tent and the bear was lounging around 20 feet away minding his/her own business, was because the man (or woman in the real story) kept unzipping the tent to see if the bear was still there.

In the movie, the man's eyes caught the bear's eyes and that is when the bear starting moving forward toward the tent.  The man continued to unzip the tent to look, stare at the bear as she/he was approaching, then zip the tent back up.  Then unzipped again to look.  The bear was looking more and more agitated as this was happening.

NOT GOOD!   This most likely threatened the bear and she/he attacked.  The whole situation could have turned out much differently had the couple simply remained in their tent, quietly, NOT unzipped the tent to look at the bear, zipped it back up, unzipped to look again, rinse repeat. 

It the movie, it was the man (boyfriend) who kept doing this and it was the boyfriend that the bear attacked and mauled.  The bear left the woman alone.

I dunno, hard to know for sure but that's what we concluded because bears typically do not attack unless they feel threatened.  They are actually as fearful of us as we are of them!

Anyway, it's all so fascinating!  

• Like 1

Guys, here's a great clip from "The Bear," it's A M A Z I N G!

For context, the men were trophy hunters intent on killing the bear (an adult male Kodiak).  The bear spared his life and in turn, the hunters spared the bear's life.

12 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Guys, here's a great clip from "The Bear," it's A M A Z I N G!

For context, the men were trophy hunters intent on killing the bear (an adult male Kodiak).  The bear spared his life and in turn, the hunters spared the bear's life.

I remember watching this movie years ago. Those claws are MASSIVE. Oh, that baby orphaned bear was so cute. As an adult, not sure how I feel about using wild animals in films like this but I do recall seeing it when I was much younger and it really touched me.

So, I suppose it was good in the sense that it brings awareness to the unfortunate side of trophy hunting. 

I'm a big fan of Kevin Richardson, he does a lot of conservation work with Lions (their numbers are declining rapidly) and he is different from most people who work with these big cats in that he builds a relationship of respect with them that other people usually don't. 

• Thanks 1

Yoga, I watched the episode in 'Queens' last night about the brown bears and the Orcas.

I was in absolute awe, so amazing and so beautiful!   Everything about it and learned so much too.   

I purchased the episode so I can re-watch any time, thanks so much for recommending it!

I also rewatched the 'The Bear' on Peacock, it was many years ago when I first watched and feel like the early scenes between the cub and its mother before the mother was killed were cut but maybe not.  

Yes that cub was so precious I wanted to scoop it up and take it home!

And the bond that was established between the cub and male Kodiak was so heartwarming.  

I'm glad the hunters did not kill it, it was a beautiful and happy ending.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogacat said:

I remember watching this movie years ago. Those claws are MASSIVE. Oh, that baby orphaned bear was so cute. As an adult, not sure how I feel about using wild animals in films like this but I do recall seeing it when I was much younger and it really touched me.

So, I suppose it was good in the sense that it brings awareness to the unfortunate side of trophy hunting. 

I'm a big fan of Kevin Richardson, he does a lot of conservation work with Lions (their numbers are declining rapidly) and he is different from most people who work with these big cats in that he builds a relationship of respect with them that other people usually don't. 

I'm gonna check out Kevin Richardson's work, looks amazing!!

• Thanks 1

It’s polar bears you have to watch out for! 

Weighing in at about 1000lbs, they can run up to 40mph. They are literally killing machines and will swipe and pick up a Beluga Whale with one paw. They always attack! 

There is a famous saying that goes: 

“If it's brown lay down, if it's black fight back, if it's white - goodnight.”

x

Well guys I guess I spoke too soon about not being nervous, the past three nights, I've been feeling extremely anxious about the trip and finding it hard to sleep but also extremely excited!   

I'm learning A LOT and apparently there have been many many bear sightings and encounters at Yellowstone, below is a beautiful video clip of a grizzly roaming Yellowstone taken by a hiker who admitted to encountering many bears during his travels throughout Yellowstone.

Also just learned that bear attacks are becoming more commonplace and that bears don't fear humans like they used to.  There are theories why but no one knows why for certain. 

There is a youtube video/podcast called "Scary Bear Attacks." It's legit and there is no footage of the attacks, but rather awesome footage of the bears and scenery and a narrator narrating the attacks which I actually find more compelling than actual footage of the attacks!

These are real attacks, many brutal, some fatal.  True names are used and after watching I would research the attack and it actually happened exactly how it was narrated. 

Not necessarily at Yellowstone but various parks throughout the country (U.S.).

One very young grizzly, three years old, 125 pounds mauled a young women to death who followed Park instructions and played dead.

The bear was in predatory mode and apparently doing what its mother trained it to do when hungry.  Scoping out food wherever it could. 

Whats interesting is that her husband was with her and he also played dead, the bear sniffed him first but then went for the woman.  Sniffed her and then started biting. 

No one knows why he initially rejected the man and went for her.  They were both playing dead. 

There was a theory she may have been on her period and the bear with its keen sense of smell smelled blood but that's just a theory. 

What I learned is bears are unpredictable and one never knows whats gonna work fending them off.

In the below video shot a couple of weeks ago, there is beautiful footage of the bear roaming and of course the scenery.

Maybe I should stop watching that Scary Attacks video/podcast, but I think it's good to stay aware - it's called "being bear aware."

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2024 at 5:57 PM, rainbowsandroses said:

Wish me luck on my trip!

There's this guy I connected with through FB Groups for hiking (I only do beginners level hiking right now due to a back injury and I am also fearful of heights) but he went from 0 hikes to 3 hikes to over 100 in a year by getting rid of all those fears and I was inspired and asked him for tips, which led to us talking and discussing more about our love for hiking and other hobbies and interests.

He constantly shares his experiences through his photos and videos from his hikes and I find myself always looking forward to seeing them and reading about his adventures. 

I'm sure he runs into 1s of the biggest fears of every hiker (me included) bears and dangerously close like the video here and he likely rotates his hiking areas, so he would be exposed to all types of adventure and wildlife. 

He coaches people on how to begin with hiking and stay consistent so they can get rid of their fears that are preventing them from doing things they love.

He had mentioned the best protection was having Sabre Frontiersman Bear Spray can in one hand and a hiking pole in the other if a bear charges you so that 1 free hand can reach for the hiking pole and hopefully you can defend yourself as the spray can be deployed with your other hand.

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

He had mentioned the best protection was having Sabre Frontiersman Bear Spray can in one hand and a hiking pole in the other if a bear charges you so that 1 free hand can reach for the hiking pole and hopefully you can defend yourself as the spray can be deployed with your other hand.

Yikes!  It's so hard to know because what I learned from my guy friend (man I'm dating), who is an avid and experienced hiker, and also our group is that while bear spray can be and IS effective most of the time, when a bear is angry and charging, especially a bear with her cubs, she will sometimes continue charging right through the spray even angrier!   The spray sometimes takes a minute or two to take full effect.  But by then, damage done.

Poking a charging bear with a pole, I guess it would depend on where you poke it?

Ask your friend but the advice I was given upon encountering a non-charging bear is back away slowly, make yourself look as big as you can by raising your arms and do not make direct eye contact.  Talk to the bear with a soothing tone.

With an angry and charging bearing, play dead.  Don't make a move or a sound and even if/when they begin biting you or often times the bear will clinch down with her jaws on some part of your body and toss you or turn you over, TRY to remain quiet and don't move.  

If she thinks you are dead, you are no longer a threat.

Easier said than done!!  When I learned this, I was trying to imagine myself in that scenario of trying to remain still and quiet and I have NO idea if I'd be able to pull that off!

Unless I went into immediate shock or something, it's impossible to know.

Bears are so unpredictable!!!!

Anyway, yes we will have plenty of bear spray and the pole, my guy friend will also have a firearm.  JUST IN CASE.  It's better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Yikes!  It's so hard to know because what I learned from my guy friend (man I'm dating), who is an avid and experienced hiker, and also our group is that while bear spray can be and IS effective most of the time, when a bear is angry and charging, especially a bear with her cubs, she will sometimes continue charging right through the spray even angrier!   The spray sometimes takes a minute or two to take full effect.  But by then, damage done.

Poking a charging bear with a pole, I guess it would depend on where you poke it?

Ask your friend but the advice I was given upon encountering a non-charging bear is back away slowly, make yourself look as big as you can by raising your arms and do not make direct eye contact.  Talk to the bear with a soothing tone.

With an angry and charging bearing, play dead.  Don't make a move or a sound and even if/when they begin biting you or often times the bear will clinch down with her jaws on some part of your body and toss you or turn you over, TRY to remain quiet and don't move.  

If she thinks you are dead, you are no longer a threat.

Easier said than done!!  When I learned this, I was trying to imagine myself in that scenario of trying to remain still and quiet and I have NO idea if I'd be able to pull that off!

Unless I went into immediate shock or something, it's impossible to know.

Bears are so unpredictable!!!!

Anyway, yes we will have plenty of bear spray and the pole, my guy friend will also have a firearm.  JUST IN CASE.  It's better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks!!!

I think poking it in the EYE might work, and then you hit the bear on its snout too, then spray that sucker straight in the eye with the mace. LOL

I digress, chances are you won't encounter one. I think the odds are more akin to that of someone encountering a Great White shark along the coast of California.

My niece is an avid surfer and she's been surfing for years in one of the most common regions for these things, and has only come across a baby Great White once, she said.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I digress, chances are you won't encounter one.

I kinda hope we do but from a safe distance!!!  If not, okay too, I am just really look forward to spending time in nature unwinding and chilling, boy do I need it!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I kinda hope we do but from a safe distance!!!  If not, okay too, I am just really look forward to spending time in nature unwinding and chilling, boy do I need it!!!

Enjoy and safe travels! I like reading the memoirs of women who've done the pacific coast trail etc.  I forget the names -one recent one in particular. I love hiking and did a lot of it last December out west. I have no interest in hiking and then camping outside or hiking where there is a big risk of bears or wild animals.  There have been bear sightings in the metro area here but we live in the city.  And coyotes (luckily we don't have a furbaby/outdoor furbaby.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

And coyotes (luckily we don't have a furbaby/outdoor furbaby.

When I was traveling back and forth to Arizona to care for my Dad following his stroke, I was walking from the hotel to the hospital and a coyote came up right alongside me.

I was like "oh, hi" and ready to run like the wind 😆

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Omg guys watch this!  It's not graphic just her telling the story almost a month later.

Young woman was attacked by a bear, her head was in the bear's jaws, and her plastic hair clip saved her life, literally. 

What a brave young lady!  And let's not forget her dog, whose barking also contributed to saving her life.

We leave Sunday and I'm definitely gonna be bringing a couple of these hair clips with me! 

Wow.

Ok, I'm a male who doesn't hike or live near bears, but I might just pick up some hair clips to be safe. And I'll tell my hiker friend to do the same.

Brave lady and dog. Glad they are okay.

No bear encounters other then at the zoo. But I did see a couple of coyotes outside the office buildings where I work. Its a quiet area in a city so I'm not sure how they got there or why they ventured so far from home. Luckily I was in a car and drove right past them to the garage and safely into the building.

Enjoy the trip. Hopefully if you see a bear it will be a friendly one named Yogi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah bears...

Yellowstone area has been my 2nd home off and on for a few years lovely place. I have chatted with a lot of guides and ranchers, and bear population has grown; so be aware. Always take the extra time to hang food in the tree, away from camp, etc etc. You know the drill. Also Bear Bells don't do anything.

Fun fact, if you are flying into Jackson Hole, they do rent bear spray in the airport. Which, short of a firearm, is your best last resort with a grizzly encounter. A lot of people I know up there keep bear spray in the car, just in case.

On the East Coast I have had numerous encounters with bears, luckily they are usually just as caught off guard as I am. One funny encounter was a bear tore off across a log over a small creek and kept falling in, until It realized I was slowly backing up. The bear then calmly walked away.

Now the funniest "bear sighting" I had was in Yellowstone on the road near Hayden Valley, there were a dozen cars stopped and people pointing off into the tree line. I slowed down and hear people saying "bear" excitedly. I got my  camera rig, zoomed in... It was a huge brown bear... shaped rock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coily said:

It was a huge brown bear... shaped rock

Maybe you'll like this bear shaped rock(s) better? It's part of an art collection scattered around the University of California San Diego.

bear-stuart-collection-ucsd-photograph-2

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, in light of my recent post on @matthew567thread this morning, I thought I would give y'all an update.

I ended up not going on the hiking trip.

It was the night before the trip, I was already packed and prepared to go when my boyfriend (now ex) announced "oh by the way, my ex-wife will be there."

Which would have been okay (she was part of the hiking group) however, I had NO idea until that moment that he had an ex-wife!  Or that he had been previously married!

You can imagine my shock, I suddenly felt quite ill (physically) realizing he had withheld this information.  And had it not been for the fact that she was going to be there, it's anyone's guess when or even IF he ever planned to tell me!  I felt he was forced to tell me because she was going which I found deceptive and disingenuous.

I decided to take some space and not go and after some discussion, he understood.  

He ended up going, but was texting me every night asking how I was feeling etc, I wasn't a cold bytch but I was rather chilly and said we can talk more when you return.

He decided to come back early and we talked.  Like I said in my other post on @matthew567thread, I kept an open mind about it but once we met and talked, I saw him in a complete different light and my feelings (even my attraction) had kind of died.

The reason he gave for not telling me is because when he told previous girlfriends (or women he was dating) that he was divorced, they had a bunch of questions like what was the reason for the divorce, etc.

Well guys, the reason they got divorced was because he cheated (which he admitted was a HUGE mistake and regrets) but his now ex-wife couldn't move past it and they divorced.

Ironically, my ex-husband cheated on ME which contributed to why I left him!  Which he knew.

So this was just too much, as I said, I viewed him differently and was also put off that he waited so long to tell me AND the only reason he told me was because she was going to be there as well as she is part of the hiking group.

We only dated 2.5 months and had not even formally agreed to exclusivity yet although he was the only man I was dating as I am not a multi-dated or juggler.   I didn't get the sense he was dating other women, although now after this, my instincts could be completely wrong!

Guys I feel so deflated!  I thought he was a really good guy, we got on so well, and were both extremely attracted and I truly had hopes that this would ultimately work out.

Oh well.

Taking some time off from dating for a bit, I am not on the apps nor even open to dating and if another man I meet in real asks me out, I plan to decline.

I am going to do some volunteering and of course am still in the process of purchasing a business which may not come to fruition for various reasons.

Anyway, didn't want to leave y'all in the dark about it; I'm okay though.  Disappointed more than hurt.

I welcome any thoughts, if not that's okay too and thank you for listening!

• Sad 1