Unemployed Day Structure

As the title suggests, I recently got laid off from a position I had for two years.  My resume is all updated in addition to the job sites I visit.  When you were between careers, how did you structure your day as far as putting out resumes and looking?  Thanks. 

There was no sleeping in and at the PC in my pajamas.  I still awoke early,  exercised,  took care of chores,  errands and various tasks. 

While searching for an online job is what most people do and aside from professional social media,  I engaged in in-person networking.  I let friends,  acquaintances,  neighbors,  family (relatives & in-laws) know that I was on the job hunt.  Whenever there was a social gathering,  I made my rounds.  Now is not the time to be timid nor fear mingling. 

I volunteered in the community.  I served at church.  I participated in numerous social gatherings of all sorts at various venues.  Everyone knows somebody or they know somebody who knows somebody. 

Sometimes when you apply online,  you're part of thousands or millions of algorithms and your job application gets lost,  discarded or simply ignored in the stack. 

I'm different as is my husband.  All of our jobs were attained based upon whom we knew.  We never went through HR or the front door.  We've always entered the corporate world through the back door.  It was swift and more direct. 

Also,  we didn't apply for requisitions.  A lot of jobs are not posted and snatched up from the inside or before it's posted to the public. 

My husband even had his job created specifically for him because he persuaded his management well during the interview process.  Same with me for my jobs. 

For starters,  take the conventional route by applying online but it's not always the fastest nor best way.  It's been my experience anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Searching for work became a job in itself. I tried to keep the basic schedule I had before, although I allowed myself to sleep in a little since there was no travel time. Anything that remotely seemed possible I applied for. I got back on touch with recruiters I had worked with previously. I contacted old coworkers in case they knew of something. I practiced my elevator speech and prepped ahead for interview questions. Brushed up on skills that I might not have needed recently.

At the same time, I tried to pace myself. There came a point where there wasn't always a new listing. Some times I just felt burned out. So I didn't force it. I took advantage of a rare break from the usual grind and took a day to have fun, doing things I rarely had the chance to do. I also kept any normal routines I had - volunteering, exercising, etc. 

Luckily I can generally get interviews fairly quick. That also helps break up the cycle of endless applying. Last three times I've had to go through this I've got something within a month.

Just plug away at it and you will find something. Don't get discouraged. And before you accept, make sure its something you really want to do. Better to be the right fit then something you take to get it over with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people panics too much. But the truth is, its not the end if the world. Jobs come and go, even when I didnt have a job in my field, I had jobs and even lived OKish with my freelancing. But I realized that I would always at least have to pay my bills and to eat bread. 

So I would recommend that to you as well. Dont go into “panic mode”. Always try to at least send a few resumes a week and organize your time accordingly. Take care of yourself and your home and even maybe use that free time to more expqnd your friends circle or even to visit more venues if time and money permits. A job will come sooner or later, dont worry. Take care.

• Thanks 1

Hey!

I'm in the same boat.

I'd say pick a routine that works for you. No right or wrong as long as you keep applying/looking for jobs daily. If networking is an option for you, you can try that too.

Make sure to have some hobbies to fill time and boredom.

4 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

Take care of yourself and your home and even maybe use that free time to more expqnd your friends circle or even to visit more venues if time and money permits. A job will come sooner or later, dont worry. Take care.

Very nicely said!

Crossing fingers🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never been between jobs where I had to find one in a specific period of time but when I returned to working outside the home after 7 years as a SAHM I started my search over a year prior with some slower periods for family emergencies like our parents passing away and my son’s frequent childhood illnesses. But it was a part time job at least and I had a structure and goals as to who I would contact that day and how and where I would look and responding to my network of people as I could. I sent many many emails and made many calls to dozens maybe a hundred people as part of my search. My first two interviews were from my network. Another was through a mom Facebook group. Ironically I found my job on some random listserv and signed up for many. I’d helped many many people with resumes and job searches in the past so I called in favors. I had to look when I wasn’t with my son more or less so having focus and structure was essential. 
I’d structure my day according to when people are available to meet or talk etc to assist with your search and also pay attention to the time if day you’re the most alert and focused to work on finding your next position. 
I’m sorry you were laid off! I was in January 1991 but I was starting grad school that August so I basically temped until then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it’s been over a month now and I haven’t heard anything from any of the places I’ve applied. Just the “we’ve gone with other candidate” messages. I’ve been putting out at least four applications a week. Also got all of my unemployment stuff lined up but still haven’t received any payments.  Mentally it’s been a roller coaster.  Some days you feel optimistic and others you feel like there’s no hope.  

Outside of that I’ve been spending time with my mother and helping her with things around the family home. We also have fun watching TV and movies in addition to going to brunches and dinners. Then recently I went to the movies two weeks in a row with a buddy of mine from high school that I’ve mentioned in another thread. I am very grateful to have that support system. In addition to having fun things I can do at home. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Well, it’s been over a month now and I haven’t heard anything from any of the places I’ve applied. Just the “we’ve gone with other candidate” messages. I’ve been putting out at least four applications a week. Also got all of my unemployment stuff lined up but still haven’t received any payments.  Mentally it’s been a roller coaster.  Some days you feel optimistic and others you feel like there’s no hope.  

Outside of that I’ve been spending time with my mother and helping her with things around the family home. We also have fun watching TV and movies in addition to going to brunches and dinners. Then recently I went to the movies two weeks in a row with a buddy of mine from high school that I’ve mentioned in another thread. I am very grateful to have that support system. In addition to having fun things I can do at home. 

I'm really glad you're keeping busy and helping your mom.  When I was looking I helped my mom who was helping my dad who was in a nursing home after developing severe Alzheimers that escalated very quickly.  I helped a lot with financial matters and talking to lawyers, etc.

Any interest in doing volunteer work including that might lead to a paying job- my friend did that -now working there probably 5 years.

I haven't looked since 2016 and when I did I applied to a few jobs online and my job I have now was online related but basically I heard about it through an email listserv I was on then applied through the company website and there was a specific deadline that then got extended a bit..  I was called about a week after I put in the very very long application, one interview, then got the offer about a week later.  Didn't get any other interviews through online. 

The interviews I got were through networking, friends, acquaintances and an FB mom group.  The one other offer I got wasn't really an offer just like oh if we need you to do a project we'll let you know.  I spent many many hours sending many many emails to everyone, made many phone calls, etc., went to networking events. I was your age at the time -older actually -started working again when I was 50.  I had maybe 3-4 other interviews plus interviewed with a recruiter who basically was fawning all over me then never called with anything lol.  

I'm sorry it's so frustrating!!! I hope you find something very soon.

• Thanks 1

I've found something within a week. Other times it's taken five months. A lot of it is luck and timing. Keep trying and don't get discouraged. You'll get something eventually. 

Glad to see you are keeping busy and having some fun as well. That support system is a lifesaver.

16 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Any interest in doing volunteer work including that might lead to a paying job- my friend did that -now working there probably 5 years.

My friend did that as well. She turned weekly volunteer work into a contract job that lasted nine years. You never know what connections and contacts will turn into something more. And even if it doesn't, it's just good to get out and do some good in the community. Gives a rewarding feeling when the alternative is a stream of job rejections.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2024 at 4:35 AM, Batya33 said:

I'm really glad you're keeping busy and helping your mom.  When I was looking I helped my mom who was helping my dad who was in a nursing home after developing severe Alzheimers that escalated very quickly.  I helped a lot with financial matters and talking to lawyers, etc.

I haven't looked since 2016 and when I did I applied to a few jobs online and my job I have now was online related but basically I heard about it through an email listserv I was on then applied through the company website and there was a specific deadline that then got extended a bit..  I was called about a week after I put in the very very long application, one interview, then got the offer about a week later.  Didn't get any other interviews through online. 

The interviews I got were through networking, friends, acquaintances and an FB mom group.  The one other offer I got wasn't really an offer just like oh if we need you to do a project we'll let you know.  I spent many many hours sending many many emails to everyone, made many phone calls, etc., went to networking events. I was your age at the time -older actually -started working again when I was 50.  I had maybe 3-4 other interviews plus interviewed with a recruiter who basically was fawning all over me then never called with anything lol.  

I'm sorry it's so frustrating!!! I hope you find something very soon.

To be honest, I haven’t thought about volunteering for something that could become a full-time job. What kind of volunteer work did they do?  

Thank you very much for your support and kind words Batya. 😀

On 6/12/2024 at 5:02 AM, DarkCh0c0 said:

Hey!

I'm in the same boat.

I'd say pick a routine that works for you. No right or wrong as long as you keep applying/looking for jobs daily. If networking is an option for you, you can try that too.

Make sure to have some hobbies to fill time and boredom.

Very nicely said!

Crossing fingers🤞

Hi Dark. Hope you have found some leads within the past week or so.  I’m doing the best I can with keeping a structure of some kind. Hate to say it, but my sleep schedule got so messed up.  Typically after I wake up, I have my coffee and watch a show that I like.  Then I start working on putting apps out for a few hours.  Finally, the rest of the day try to do something fun to take my mind off things. 

On 7/4/2024 at 8:55 PM, ShySoul said:

I've found something within a week. Other times it's taken five months. A lot of it is luck and timing. Keep trying and don't get discouraged. You'll get something eventually. 

Glad to see you are keeping busy and having some fun as well. That support system is a lifesaver.

My friend did that as well. She turned weekly volunteer work into a contract job that lasted nine years. You never know what connections and contacts will turn into something more. And even if it doesn't, it's just good to get out and do some good in the community. Gives a rewarding feeling when the alternative is a stream of job rejections.

Thanks Shy. Yes, I couldn’t agree more that having the support system is a lifesaver. Just doing the best I can and taking things day by day.  

24 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Hope you have found some leads within the past week or so.  I’m doing the best I can with keeping a structure of some kind. Hate to say it, but my sleep schedule got so messed up.  Typically after I wake up, I have my coffee and watch a show that I like.  Then I start working on putting apps out for a few hours.  Finally, the rest of the day try to do something fun to take my mind off things

Funny you mention it. Mine has changed too. I'm guilty of waking up later than I like it at this point. But hey, no harm done.

Whatever floats your boat

We gotta keep going.

I'm not having any great leads, but I vastly think this is due to the unstable political climate where I'm at. We're nearing a war, so so many businesses are putting things on hold. Shall a war happen, might as well be laid off again, so I'm trying not to worry about the job too much under current circumstances. My safety will be at a higher priority shall things take a bad turn (as it will be for most people). Sigh, life, huh? Man plans and god laughs... 

5 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

To be honest, I haven’t thought about volunteering for something that could become a full-time job. What kind of volunteer work did they do?  

Thank you very much for your support and kind words Batya. 😀

I really hope I am remembering right. She is an attorney and volunteered for an advocacy organization for people who couldn't afford legal services -more specialized than legal aid.  She's been there full time paid for years now.  

On 7/6/2024 at 1:39 AM, DarkCh0c0 said:

Man plans and god laughs... 

Yeah, no joke!  Am I presuming you are not in the States?  Hopefully, you are okay and nothing has happened with getting closer to war.  I can imagine it's a scary time. 

On 7/6/2024 at 6:36 AM, Batya33 said:

I really hope I am remembering right. She is an attorney and volunteered for an advocacy organization for people who couldn't afford legal services -more specialized than legal aid.  She's been there full time paid for years now.  

That's great how that worked out for her.  Did she have prior legal experience or graduate from law school? 

6 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

That's great how that worked out for her.  Did she have prior legal experience or graduate from law school? 

She was an attorney.  I'll also share this anecdote from 1991 - I needed a temp job for a couple of months before heading to grad school.  Maybe 6-8 months and it was slim pickings.  So I set up an interview for a full time receptionist type job and figured 6-8 months was fair to quit etc -not a ton of training needed.  On the way to the interview I was assaulted by a group of teenagers so by the time I got to the interview -still timely -I was so shook up.  I met with a recruiter.  I was so in awe of her -she was about 10 years my senior -so mid 30s and so -poised, attractive, put together.  I felt like crap that day of course.

She looks me in the eye "look you are over qualified for this job -why do you want this job really?" So I said -who knows where this came from -"well I don't actually.  I want to work for you."  She smiled and said -for me -what would you do? And on the spot I told her -I'd done recruiting in the past - I wanted to be her assistant in executive recruiting. I told her what I would do to help her make deals. 

She hadn't considered needing anyone but - she and i came to an agreement on pay/hours and I worked for her till grad school.  Since it was a sort of informal arrangement I told her a month in about grad school and she was totally fine with it.  Soon a few other recruiters at the company also wanted my assistance.  It was a great job and one I spun out of whole cloth.  I also got to hear about all her sex and the city adventures before the show ever aired lol.  She was so uber cool.  And I think she saw I was sort of her groupie and enjoyed it!

I have thought outside the box like that professionally many many times over.  Doesn't always work.  Often it does.  It's how I got to do stuff professionally at an earlier time than some of my peers, how I found my long time mentor in my career, how as a teenager I capitalized on the internships I got.  I'm still a spunky go getter although these days for now I'm settled in what I'm doing, it's a quieter existence but if I have to gear up again -like if we relocate, if I leave my current position -I'm -ready.  I cannot imagine looking when so much is online -i realize now it's actually not easier.  Years ago when I was looking to go back to work I considered going back into recruiting and interviewed three times with a recruiter -he ghosted me -I think partly because i really didn't know the new technology and he got cold feet about hiring someone (fear also I'd take his clients -he couldn't have been more wrong).  

On 7/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Yeah, no joke!  Am I presuming you are not in the States?  Hopefully, you are okay and nothing has happened with getting closer to war.  I can imagine it's a scary time. 

It's alright so far. I live in a forgotten country, so it's a bit usual to live on the edge occasionally here. Thank you for asking.

• Like 1

Thanks, you just helped me learn there is actually a difference in the use of those two terms. Of course the one they are using seems to pay less. That has to be a coincidence, right? 😉

• Haha 1