I expected a better response on my efforts.

Loka56

My brother gives me the most frankly inexplicable gifts, mostly things I have never said I'm into or that are impractical. I politely thank him and say something positive about the gift. Even if I end up stashing it in the back of my closet. 

I hope your boyfriend is more forthcoming with thanks and compliments going forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother always gives me  several   pies and a large,  expensive bouquet of roses for my birthday every year.  I'm not a fan of pies,  don't eat them and if I had my druthers,  I prefer a chic handbag instead of flowers which die within a few days.  My husband and sons will eat pies.  I'm never delighted to receive flowers because I prefer roses in my front and back yard in the Earth as opposed to flowers in a vase.  He knows I'm not into pies and flowers yet he gives them to me annually anyway.  I know his heart 🧡 is in the right place because he paid hard money for them,  took the time to drive to a pie shop to buy pies and I'm fully aware that a large bouquet of long stemmed roses 🌹  are expensive.  In addition,  he took the time,  gas, wear 'n tear on his truck and effort to drive to my house to give pies and roses 🌹 to me in person on my birthday no matter how busy he was with his employment.  He did it just for me.  I'm grateful for his effort,  time,  energy and hard earned ca$h 💰  to pay for it all when he could've otherwise spent or saved money 💰  for himself.   He has a heart 🧡 of gold and I've NEVER  ignored his generosity.  I've always thanked him in person and promptly postal mailed 📪 a handwritten thank you note ✉️ just as my mother had taught me ever since I was a child.  I'm the same towards everyone in my life whether it be relatives,  in-laws, neighbors and friends. 

I'm the way I am because whenever I gave until it hurt to others,  I was completely ignored.  During other instances,  I received cynical,  sarcastic and snide comments regarding my efforts put forth to make others happy whether it was handmade gifts,  store bought or online gifts,  home cooked meals,  time,  labor,   my husband and I gave up our work days or weekends to help others move,  lent items to be borrowed only for items returned grubby, soiled or damaged,  etc.  I was not amused. ☹️ Everyone wants to feel appreciated and as if they matter.  Apathy and indifference are intolerable and unacceptable.  Grace and class never goes out of style. 

If the recipient treats me as if my goodwill was unimportant and insignificant,  then my desire to be kind by going above and beyond for them is now dead in the water.  I immediately pull back and either treat them exactly the way they treat me or less than that.  What do you expect?  No surprise there.  🙄  😒 What goes around comes around. 

There are people in my life who are appreciative,  express their heartfelt gratitude in person,  write thank you notes (postal or email) and it's a joy to do anything for them.  I cherish people who know how to behave honorably.  They're real keepers for many years.   Anyone else?  Not so much.  My enthusiasm is at zero.