What do you get from being in a relationship?

CLo

Even though,  I'm my own person,  I will admit,  my husband makes me feel complete regarding my overall happiness factor.  He's an amazing husband and father to our sons.  I got very lucky with him which is akin to winning the lottery.  I would be lost without him.  He is my better half.  💗

I don't want to end up like my recently widowed mother-in-law (MIL) who was blissfully married for a long time and now she is indeed lonely and drained.  😢 

In many respects,  my husband is my whole life.  I thank my lucky stars and blessings daily.  🙏  💗

Days like these when I feel under the weather and travel weary- we’ve been overseas since June 10 - and I honestly want the room to myself to have some peace and quiet before I have to leave for afternoon plans.  

And  at the same time - fine - people say you don’t have a relationship just for the “moments” but my goodness watching our son present the small but special Father’s Day gifts we collected in Europe over the past couple of days from various places - including a secondhand boxed CD set we knew he would love - and card - hits you what really matters.   Connectedness that shows up randomly and at special “celebrations”.  

You can get that from a friendship or from family of course but typically those are less solid and stable especially if family members go on to have their own families who take priority.  And of course you can need no such connections and be delighted connecting with your inner self or with a pet or with people you help as a volunteer. I don’t mean to generalize.

But if close connections to other adults are really important sometimes it can be hard to find that outside of a long term romantic relationship.  It doesn’t have to be needy at all or even a need.  Can just be a desire. 

10 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Days like these when I feel under the weather and travel weary- we’ve been overseas since June 10 - and I honestly want the room to myself to have some peace and quiet before I have to leave for afternoon plans.  

And  at the same time - fine - people say you don’t have a relationship just for the “moments” but my goodness watching our son present the small but special Father’s Day gifts we collected in Europe over the past couple of days from various places - including a secondhand boxed CD set we knew he would love - and card - hits you what really matters.   Connectedness that shows up randomly and at special “celebrations”.  

You can get that from a friendship or from family of course but typically those are less solid and stable especially if family members go on to have their own families who take priority.  And of course you can need no such connections and be delighted connecting with your inner self or with a pet or with people you help as a volunteer. I don’t mean to generalize.

But if close connections to other adults are really important sometimes it can be hard to find that outside of a long term romantic relationship.  It doesn’t have to be needy at all or even a need.  Can just be a desire. 

Amen @Batya33!  Safe travels. 

36 minutes ago, Cherylyn said:

Get well soon, too. 

Thanks. I’m rarely ill. But travel like this will trigger it. I have my son’s former cold. He’s very good at sharing - not the best part of relationships but one hotel room will do it lol. Anyway OP another positive about relationships is that you save on travel and less risk of a partner cancelling as opposed to a friend or acquaintance!

• Like 1