Hubby having a brain MRI

My husband had a TBI last June . It has been a forever recovery but the neurologist isn’t fully satisfied with his recovery and wants to check for lasting brain damage and even early dementia as my husband’s father died of dementia as did his grandmother on his father’s side. He also wants him to see a cognitive speech therapist as his speech is too slow. It always has been but now is slower . 

Very stressful, I understand. I too have a lot of dementia in my family, both sides. However, getting information and starting treatment can really make a difference. I know your life has been very challenging, but perhaps the therapy will help and the MRI will just show that since he is is on his 50s he is taking longer to fully heal. Let’s think optimistically. 

• Like 1

I had a brain MRI about three years ago because I have had some troubling symptoms. It was an... interesting experience. I told the technicians I was going to go to sleep and they said no way, it's a loud machine. And I proved them wrong by promptly falling asleep! Mine turned out to show nothing concerning. So hopefully this is your husband's physician being thorough and it will turn out to be completely normal.

And I did make the joke about "well, I'm relieved they at least found something inside my head to look at!" My doctor just gave me that look that said, yeah, I haven't heard that joke a million times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arjumand said:

Very stressful, I understand. I too have a lot of dementia in my family, both sides. However, getting information and starting treatment can really make a difference. I know your life has been very challenging, but perhaps the therapy will help and the MRI will just show that since he is is on his 50s he is taking longer to fully heal. Let’s think optimistically. 

I think it is more he has always been a slow processor due to ADHD but his anxiety has skyrocketed off the charts due to his work atmosphere and he is in his 50’s and it is like his 8th concussion and his 3 rd major one. He is also on very heavy amounts of meds for the anxiety right now. He will also be seeing a psychiatrist for full assessment of his ADHD, OCD  and GAD. The neurologist also wants to work in tandem with the psychiatrist. 

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

I had a brain MRI about three years ago because I have had some troubling symptoms. It was an... interesting experience. I told the technicians I was going to go to sleep and they said no way, it's a loud machine. And I proved them wrong by promptly falling asleep! Mine turned out to show nothing concerning. So hopefully this is your husband's physician being thorough and it will turn out to be completely normal.

And I did make the joke about "well, I'm relieved they at least found something inside my head to look at!" My doctor just gave me that look that said, yeah, I haven't heard that joke a million times. 

Hahaha my husband is never nervous about medical procedures, me, I am apoplectic. 

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Hahaha my husband is never nervous about medical procedures, me, I am apoplectic. 

I had to check in at 6:00 am, which meant I had to leave home at 5:30 am. Which meant I got up at 5:00 am. Yuck. So I was definitely wanting to sleep. Also, they gave me headphones and asked what kind of music I preferred. I said jazz so I got to listen to some old school big band type jazz. Despite the loud knocking sound the machine made I did indeed fall asleep. 

I have had so many medical procedures that almost nothing fazes me except mammograms. I hate having my boobs squeezed into a vice. 

Maybe your husband will also sleep through the procedure. 

22 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I had to check in at 6:00 am, which meant I had to leave home at 5:30 am. Which meant I got up at 5:00 am. Yuck. So I was definitely wanting to sleep. Also, they gave me headphones and asked what kind of music I preferred. I said jazz so I got to listen to some old school big band type jazz. Despite the loud knocking sound the machine made I did indeed fall asleep. 

I have had so many medical procedures that almost nothing fazes me except mammograms. I hate having my boobs squeezed into a vice. 

Maybe your husband will also sleep through the procedure. 

I remember I was about 21 when I had a CAT scan for my migraine I was almost certifiable when that was over . 

Best wishes Seraphim!

This has been a long road, hasn't it? I hope you both find some rest and peace of mind soon. You do very well juggling it all.

It's great he's not phased by medical tests! You could get worse, I suppose! 

Again, thoughts with you. You are, Superwoman!

x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...