Open Club  ·  98 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

video game lounge Part 2

happyfrank

11 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Your son is clever. I think I like him. LOL. Think I only napped once the whole year. The rest of the time was me lying there wondering when we would get up again so I could learn something or go back to the sandbox.

Mother was a teacher's aide for awhile in the 70s/80s. Sister taught second grade for a couple of years. Always appreciate teachers and all the effort they put in. I'm sure your students appreciated you as well.

I think some of my students appreciated me and I felt even more so when I volunteered weekly at a local homeless shelter from January 2002-Spring 2008 reading to the children who resided there with their mothers  then I did some tutoring through the Children's Aid Society for a few months at a local middle school -I had to quit when I got pregnant - I was very tired and when I tutored was when the custodian was cleaning with harsh chemicals -it just wasn't going to happen for me. I also wasn't yet announcing my pregnancy and couldn't ask them of course to not clean the school building.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, ShySoul said:

Stickers are better then the writing they mark on some items. Actually, I'm seeing few books in the thrift stores now. And the best stuff is getting putting online. Though it's still fun going on the treasure hunt and when you do get a find it's a real treat.

Right now Goodwill has become my supplier for plushes. Between 15 dolphins, Daffy Duck, a penquin, and an axlotyl and other ocean based items, my room is slowly becoming SeaWorld. Oh, I can't forget one of the Toy Story aliens dressed up as Nemo. 

I'm a fan of stickers, I wish I kept my binders of all the stickers I collected when I was a kid but put them all in this big bin and donated them. Oh the silly things we do as children. 

My aunt and I were just talking the other day, and they always send me greeting cards, and I say how much I appreciate them because cards are almost a thing of the past too. Handwriting is like that too, but like it's almost a lost art because of technology and typing everything, so it's still cherished by some who value the effort put into the writing and the personal touch. 

I try to send out hand written cards to my friends and family just because but sometimes I get lazy and send a text or an email like everyone else. It's definitely a special thing to receive a hand written letter or note though. 

Stuffed toys all around your room? Definitely unique!! Do you prefer a dolphin or a teddy bear? 😚

My one and only stuffed animal that I treasured. It was a stuffed lamb that my mother gave me on my 3rd birthday. I carried it with me everywhere. Her name was "lambie."🦙 Sadly, lambie got lost and it's never been the same. (lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I'm a fan of stickers, I wish I kept my binders of all the stickers I collected when I was a kid but put them all in this big bin and donated them. Oh the silly things we do as children. 

My aunt and I were just talking the other day, and they always send me greeting cards, and I say how much I appreciate them because cards are almost a thing of the past too. Handwriting is like that too, but like it's almost a lost art because of technology and typing everything, so it's still cherished by some who value the effort put into the writing and the personal touch. 

I try to send out hand written cards to my friends and family just because but sometimes I get lazy and send a text or an email like everyone else. It's definitely a special thing to receive a hand written letter or note though. 

Stuffed toys all around your room? Definitely unique!! Do you prefer a dolphin or a teddy bear? 😚

My one and only stuffed animal that I treasured. It was a stuffed lamb that my mother gave me on my 3rd birthday. I carried it with me everywhere. Her name was "lambie."🦙 Sadly, lambie got lost and it's never been the same. (lol)

When my son was a newborn I had a cleaning lady weekly. She told me not to have too many stuffed animals in his room because of the dust! (And of course none in the crib -safe sleep and all).  We got a lot of them as gifts.  He still likes a stuffed pillow with a space related emblem on it for sleeping.  

He liked stickers too! We have some on the walls! I love real cards -especially if they're not $7 each lol.  We still buy and give them.  And remember postcards from friends traveling?? Loved those too.  Didn't love a holiday card I got from a friend who'd met my husband several times and even dated his friend way back - it was addressed inside Dear [my name[ and [my ex boyfriend's name -same first letter as my husband's name].  She did not understand why this was not ok.  My husband took it -ok - but - nope - not ok.  I wonder if I'd felt the same if it was an e-card or e-mail - easier to click send with a bad "typo" like that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

When my son was a newborn I had a cleaning lady weekly. She told me not to have too many stuffed animals in his room because of the dust! (And of course none in the crib -safe sleep and all).  We got a lot of them as gifts.  He still likes a stuffed pillow with a space related emblem on it for sleeping.  

He liked stickers too! We have some on the walls! I love real cards -especially if they're not $7 each lol.  We still buy and give them.  And remember postcards from friends traveling?? Loved those too.  Didn't love a holiday card I got from a friend who'd met my husband several times and even dated his friend way back - it was addressed inside Dear [my name[ and [my ex boyfriend's name -same first letter as my husband's name].  She did not understand why this was not ok.  My husband took it -ok - but - nope - not ok.  I wonder if I'd felt the same if it was an e-card or e-mail - easier to click send with a bad "typo" like that.

Oh they are for sure dust magnets. My mom over the years tried to replicate original lambie with other lambies and I had about 10 or so stuffed lambies on my bed (lol). I had to put them in the wash 1 x a week. I wish I kept them, -but I gave them away.

There's something about sticker and decals. DIY window stickers and mural decals are super cool and fun too! It's neat that your son is into decor stuff.

Oh yes, postcards! My cousin travels everywhere and he always sends out postcards when he visits. 

Oh, wow she sent a card with your ex's name on it and not your husband's? I'm glad your husband was ok with it! Email and e-card typos are definitely easier to brush off - you can just blame it on autocorrect haha. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogacat said:

I still give out birthday cards to my mother, sister, and best friend. Also do a mother's day card. I always make sure to include a handwritten message on the card, heartfelt but humorous. 

It started with one dolphin as a suvenior from Seaworld since dolphins are my favorite animal. Then my friend found a cute one of a dolphin with a smaller baby dolphin attached and got it for me. Then I just kept going, picking up unique ones when I can find ones. A sparkly giant purple one, a huge orange one, one wearing a hoodie... I've got a variety. Seem to have luck too in that they are all in pretty good shape and not to well loved. Also have dolphin snowglobes, keychains, a nightlight (that doesn't work lol), figurines, etc. Guess it's what I've chosen to collect.

Got rid of most of my childhood stuff, but kept a couple of stuffed animals I've had since I was 5. Snowball (a rabbit) and Blue Bear (a bear that is, um, blue lol) were my constant companions through everything. Kind of nice having one link to that simpler and more carefree time.

• Like 2

My mother used to make a display of all the Christmas cards we'd receive each year, taping them up on the wall in a corner of the room. Large family on both my parent's side so we would get a lot. Now I get one from my sister and thats it. Oh, and from one aunt before she passed away a few years ago. A lot of traditions get lost over the years.

Have a box of treasures with a few postcards from friends. Nice to have things like that to pull out every now and then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yogacat said:

DIY window stickers and mural decals are super cool and fun too! It's neat that your son is into decor stuff.

Nope he just liked to decorate the walls randomly and the ceiling with those slime wacky hands when he was  younger lol.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played through Mario 64.

Somehow I got started watching a Youtuber play through levels from Mario Maker, where fans create there own Mario levels. Some of the levels that get made are insane. Was just wondering what your experience was and if you had seen anything like this.

If you've got a some spare time. The level that starts at 11:30 is one of the trippiest and coolest thngs I've seen from a video game.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 8:01 PM, BeaTlesFan77 said:

image.png.70641c4d782b7cdbc7fafda6691d0b5d.png

Lately I've been having fun with RetroAchievements on my Linux system. 

Thank you. Now I'm going to have to figure out a way try out Trapper. I wasn't familiar with that one.

I also need to play Frogger again. Poor frog, everything trying to squash it.

On 8/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, ShySoul said:

Thank you. Now I'm going to have to figure out a way try out Trapper. I wasn't familiar with that one.

You’re welcome. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you on there. 

12 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

How long has it been since you played?

It was my jam. 🍇🙂

Oh gosh, I can't recall the last time I played. But when I played I was a beast 😊

Are you more Donkey Kong or Galaga? Two completely different types of games but I struggled with the donkey!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2024 at 1:32 PM, yogacat said:

It was my jam. 🍇🙂

Oh gosh, I can't recall the last time I played. But when I played I was a beast 😊

Are you more Donkey Kong or Galaga? Two completely different types of games but I struggled with the donkey!

Oh wow, I didn't see this until now.  Thanks for your patience.  I would say that I'm equally both.  If I'm at a retro arcade or barcade, I have to play at least one game of each.  🍓 is my favorite.  😉

On 8/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, ShySoul said:

Were you able to play Tapper and Frogger?  Frogger is another one I need to revisit as well. 

1 minute ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Were you able to play Tapper and Frogger?  Frogger is another one I need to revisit as well. 

Haven't been in the video game frame of mind lately, too much else happening. So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it. 

Hope you're having fun with whatever game you're working on.

Discovered a new store in the mall near me that sales retro games and systems. Prices seem fair. Thinking of going back and seeing if they have anything for my GameBoy Advance. 

Almost went to a Nintendo pop up last weekend. Had games you could play, photo ops and a chance to take your picture with characters.

https://www.nintendo.com/us/events/play-events/?srsltid=AfmBOooRdjKMUj2dF9zGGeI5TOnYsONS2J7aPZjMybAJw-BQNadCG64R

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Haven't been in the video game frame of mind lately, too much else happening. So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it. 

Hope you're having fun with whatever game you're working on.

Discovered a new store in the mall near me that sales retro games and systems. Prices seem fair. Thinking of going back and seeing if they have anything for my GameBoy Advance. 

Almost went to a Nintendo pop up last weekend. Had games you could play, photo ops and a chance to take your picture with characters.

https://www.nintendo.com/us/events/play-events/?srsltid=AfmBOooRdjKMUj2dF9zGGeI5TOnYsONS2J7aPZjMybAJw-BQNadCG64R

Looks like it was a great time!  How far are you from Universal Studios and would you be able to go another time?  Just out of curiosity, was that new retro game store in the mall related to GameStop?  I read somewhere that they are going into that market.  

17 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Looks like it was a great time!  How far are you from Universal Studios and would you be able to go another time?  Just out of curiosity, was that new retro game store in the mall related to GameStop?  I read somewhere that they are going into that market.  

Around an hour and a half. One reason we didn't go. The drive out there with LA traffic, then $30 parking to get in the mall, seemed like a lot just for that. Unfortunately it was only that weekend and it was the next to last stop in the tour. So missed out.

They do have a Nintendo themed area at Universal now. Had a pass a few years ago before the area was built. Maybe in a few years once they've refreshed enough of the rides, we'll go again.

Though the giant Simpson inspired doughnuts are missed.

The store is in addition to a Gamestop. Last time I was in Gamestop felt like there was a lot of toys and figures and few games. This place had several older systems and games in glass display cases. Orignal NES games still in the box! I'll be making a return trip once I get a list of games I'm looking for.