Open Club  ·  98 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

video game lounge Part 2

happyfrank

• 1 year later...

Wow, this hasn't been active for over a year!  Hopefully, @happyfrank is still with us.  The most recent game I played was NBA 2K24 for PS4.  A couple of nights ago I picked up the new Star Wars Battlefront Collection and downloaded it.  Haven't started playing yet.  So far I've heard that it's been getting negative reviews which seems normal.  Given that games are not always released in perfect form these days and have a bunch of patches added to them. 

• 3 months later...

BeatlesFan, I won't have a clue what current games are out there. So I'll just share the classics whenever I get to playing them. 

Recently played through the original Legend of Zelda. Think I got sidetracked halfway through the 2nd quest. I'll have to go back and finish it. 

It's too easy these days with all the online guides. Back in the day this game must have driven people crazy with all the secret locations and items. They just threw you into the game and expected you to spend hours exploring to find everything. 

• Like 1

I’m all about the retro games!  Arcade and console. You could get so much joy out of them in minutes. Nowadays, the games are so deep you have to invest a lot of time to beat them.  Honestly, you’re not missing anything.  Especially the games that have all of these micro transactions.  

I tried playing the original Zelda a few times on the NES and couldn’t get anywhere. 

• Like 1

I liked the longer, more detailed RPGs. Only thing that's tempted me to get into newer stuff is to play the Final Fantasy's post number 12. Just never wanted to invest in the new systems for a handful of games. Maybe if I can find a used one at a reasonable price.

Don't get me started on micro transactions. You shouldn't need to pay more to win. And I don't want to keep paying just to get new items that are all virtual and don't change the outcome of the game. Just let me buy the game and play it with everything I need included. (Yep, I'm already the grumpy old guy.)

First Zelda isn't too bad. Second one is the one everyone hates. I vaguely recall playing it and agree it it was fustrating.

I used to love playing Contra.  

I played it so much until I was finally able to beat it.

Tetris, not so much. Found it a bit more challenging. When those bars are flying left and right and that music starts... Grrgghh.

@yogacat Were you able to beat Contra with and without the infamous code for the Nintendo Entertainment System? 

A lot of the original Nintendo games were cruel and punishing. There were a lot I could never beat. First Simpsons game I think I only got to the second level once. Ninja Turtles I made it the third level before giving up.

Tetris was right up my alley. Of course I was the 2nd grader doing logic puzzles for fun, so trying to make order out of the pieces was a perfect... ahem... fit.

@ShySoul I don't recall playing the Simpsons one but did play the Ninja Turtles.  You're referring to the one that was not based on the Konami arcade game?  I tried playing Mega Man and remember that one being pretty tough as well. 

Simpsons was Bart vs The Space Mutants. You had to go through stages using a can of spraypaint to change things. Somehow that folied there plans. 

Yes, the TMNT was not the arcade one. The arcade one I could do fine with. Though it was nice to not have to keep putting quarters in the machine. 

Mega Man was my favorite series growing up. The first one was tough. Do you remember the Rock Monster boss? The one that changed into pieces that came flying across the stage? Don't think I ever beat it without the Elec Beam trick (hoping you know what I'm talking about and I don't sound like a crazy person lol).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

I’m all about the retro games!  Arcade and console. You could get so much joy out of them in minutes. Nowadays, the games are so deep you have to invest a lot of time to beat them.  Honestly, you’re not missing anything.  Especially the games that have all of these micro transactions.  

I tried playing the original Zelda a few times on the NES and couldn’t get anywhere. 

I loved asteroids at the candy store -.25 cents per play.  I went to a museum many years ago that had that and pac man etc - so much fun to play.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

@yogacat Were you able to beat Contra with and without the infamous code for the Nintendo Entertainment System? 

On the contrary😊.

I was not even aware that there was a way to beat Contra with said infamous code.

My brother and I would play for hours and days.

It wasn't until some absurd amount of dedication that I finally beat it. My poor brother, he was so very close, and was a great sport about it. This is someone that can solve calculus equations but could not beat Contra.

Me on the other hand struggle with simple fractions 🤣

16 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Did you enjoy Galaga by chance? Ahh, the classics!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogacat said:

It wasn't until some absurd amount of dedication that I finally beat it. My poor brother, he was so very close, and was a great sport about it. This is someone that can solve calculus equations but could not beat Contra.

Nice to hear you had that dedication to do it the hard way. 

For those that didn't though, they just needed to hand over some more cash for this totally awesome accessory. Excellent!

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2024 at 11:16 AM, yogacat said:

On the contrary😊.

I was not even aware that there was a way to beat Contra with said infamous code.

My brother and I would play for hours and days.

Me on the other hand struggle with simple fractions 🤣

Did you enjoy Galaga by chance? Ahh, the classics!

Well done doing it without any codes!  I can tell you were committed to finishing it.  You bet I still play Galaga.  That game never gets old; just 15 minutes of it provides satisfaction.  Do you like Donkey Kong?

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2024 at 2:08 PM, ShySoul said:

Nice to hear you had that dedication to do it the hard way. 

For those that didn't though, they just needed to hand over some more cash for this totally awesome accessory. Excellent!

This is what I see when I watch that commercial.  LOL!

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2024 at 5:16 AM, Batya33 said:

I loved asteroids at the candy store -.25 cents per play.  I went to a museum many years ago that had that and pac man etc - so much fun to play.

It's so simple yet so addicting for $.25

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

This is what I see when I watch that commercial.  LOL!

Takes me on such an excellent adventure, especially compared to the bogus journies of today.

37 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

There's an arcade/bar ten minutes from me that has all the old the games - Galaga, PacMan, Donkey Kong, Mario, Space Invaders, several pinball machines and more. My go to is the Simpsons Arcade game. I probably played through the whole thing a half dozen times when I was child (always as Lisa).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Yes but I was given a certain amount of $ and often I was lucky if I had a dollar for 4 games. I had a coleco handheld football game which used batteries! We never had any video games at home.  I got my first PC in 1992, used from a coworker. 

3 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Well done doing it without any codes!  I can tell you were committed to finishing it.  You bet I still play Galaga.  That game never gets old; just 15 minutes of it provides satisfaction.  Do you like Donkey Kong?

Galaga was my jam.

I loved playing it at like a Dave & Buster's or something similar. Hitting the buttons super fast. That's the best part about these games—how quickly you can ramp up your skills and dexterity. I liked Donkey Kong but didn't get into it as much as some of the others.

I found it pretty tough, and a bit too competitive with the kill screen and everything. My brother was much better at it than me. I also loved air hockey.

There was another game that I recall, that I loved, but I can't recall the name of it. It was a bit like Galaga, but with flying food and flying dice. 

2 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

No Game Genie for you?

Had the Sega Genesis one. Only thing I remember using it for was to get past the Labrinth Zone in Sonic. The part where the stage does an infinite loop fustrated me to no end.

20 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I loved playing it at like a Dave & Buster's or something similar.

Going to Dave & Buster's Wednesday for an employee appreciation day at work. Haven't been since 2006. Any idea what games they have there these days?

15 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Going to Dave & Buster's Wednesday for an employee appreciation day at work. Haven't been since 2006. Any idea what games they have there these days?

Fun! Oh, haven't been to one in years. So no idea.

That's neat that your work treats their employees. I'm sure it is well deserved!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yogacat said:

Fun! Oh, haven't been to one in years. So no idea.

Last year was go-kart racing, though I spent the time at the mini arcade setting the high score for PacMan. Personally, I'd rather have the time off, but I'll make the most of it. The restaurants at a mall with a Barnes and Noble, so I may have to find a way to sneak out for some shopping....

I'll report back if I see any interesting games.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Last year was go-kart racing, though I spent the time at the mini arcade setting the high score for PacMan. Personally, I'd rather have the time off, but I'll make the most of it. The restaurants at a mall with a Barnes and Noble, so I may have to find a way to sneak out for some shopping....

I'll report back if I see any interesting games.

I love BN and loved Borders -so awful when bookstores started closing.

• Like 1