Gift Advice for Friends

I had a related situation today. Each year those of us in exec/management positions (me) contribute a certain amount set by the head of our department so that each admin staff member can receive a gift card for the holidays of the same amount.  I received the email today with the $ amount and Venmoed the $.  But our boss said that because of all the cooties/covid going around we couldn't have our usual pot luck holiday lunch. Instead, she suggested that we bring in treats and coordinate so that staff who telework part of the time would know when to come in. 

So, I'm teleworking for the time being and I won't be partaking of treats in office but I think our staff is the best.  So I ordered a gift basket from a company i've ordered from before- -but healthier -dried fruit and nuts -to arrive next week so that even if my boss's suggestion is vetoed etc (it won't be but if) I will have contributed a little something extra just from me for everyone to share. 

It's food, yes, it has nuts, yes, but also fruit and it's packaged.  But I wouldn't have done this as my only gift - I know our staff really really appreciates the gift cards each year - it's obvious - and while they'll enjoy the gift basket that's just more of a small token extra.  

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

But our boss said that because of all the cooties/covid going around we couldn't have our usual pot luck holiday lunch.

Despite the county where my office is located being in a state of emergency due to extremely high Covid and RSV hospitalizations my manager is going ahead with us having a potluck in the office.  Apparently they don't believe any of us can get infected lol.

As long as it doesn't create tax issues I would go with a small gift card.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Despite the county where my office is located being in a state of emergency due to extremely high Covid and RSV hospitalizations my manager is going ahead with us having a potluck in the office.  Apparently they don't believe any of us can get infected lol.

Same here, only it's the whole company--a giant petri dish.

I'm opting out. My Mom has been very sick with flu or RSV, and we had planned to bake together this weekend. She's not typically fragile, but she was hit hard and we were all scared for her, and so was she.

She's feeling better this week but fatigues out, and I'm not risking picking up anything else to transfer to her.

Wishing you a safe outcome.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Same here, only it's the whole company--a giant petri dish.

I'm opting out. My Mom has been very sick with flu or RSV, and we had planned to bake together this weekend. She's not typically fragile, but she was hit hard and we were all scared for her, and so was she.

She's feeling better this week but fatigues out, and I'm not risking picking up anything else to transfer to her.

Wishing you a safe outcome.

I'm so sorry you're mom was so sick. How awful. I hope she's better very soon.

It's 20 of us participating in the potluck. I chose to participate even though I know it's a risk. I can still opt out as it's this Thursday and it would be no big deal as long as I let them know tomorrow. I'm leaning toward cancelling out only because my family gathering is two days later and I definitely don't want to miss that.

Alex, what did you decide to do?

• Like 1
Just now, boltnrun said:

I'm leaning toward cancelling out only because my family gathering is two days later and I definitely don't want to miss that.

Yep, that's exactly the thing. If I'm going to take a risk, it's to be with my family, not to put them at risk.

I don't fault anybody else for doing what they want to do, but can I just tell you that I've gone back to being scared?

(I haven't said this to anyone yet.)

6 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Yep, that's exactly the thing. If I'm going to take a risk, it's to be with my family, not to put them at risk.

I don't fault anybody else for doing what they want to do, but can I just tell you that I've gone back to being scared?

(I haven't said this to anyone yet.)

Thank you for saying this.  Me too -sort of.  Today I am going to a hot chocolate party at my son's school for parents only -supposed to be outdoors though.  I feel uncomfortable wearing a mask especially if it's mostly outdoors.  But I feel weird with all the flu/covid going around (yes I'm all vaccinated, no haven't had covid that I know of, no haven't had flu in maybe over 20 years)  - I feel weird -again! Sigh!!! It's frustrating.  Good thing is I will just make my appearance at the party and if it's moved indoors a very very short appearance.  And you know it's sad as I like the parents I have met so far but.... it puts a damper on it.

• Like 1