Retired after 30 years at the same place

14 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

Congratulations on your retirement and job well done! 🙂

I would develop a routine if I were you.  Continue getting up early, take your dog for walks twice a day, be industrious with chores and tasks, concentrate on your health, eat well, rest, engage in hobbies, read great books and surround yourself with moral friends and family even if virtually. 

When this pandemic is over, volunteer in your community.  The volunteerism is limitless.  Do charitable good works.  Help at a food bank, feed the homeless, donate your stuff (& declutter), help the disadvantaged, volunteer at your local library and do what is rewarding to you.

If you're faith based, join your local church.  There are plenty of ministries to join, serve, belong to study groups, social groups, be part of community serve groups and the like. 

This new stage in your life will be an adjustment to be sure.  You'll grow to enjoy these new phase in your life. 

Thank you Chrerylyn,

I am looking forward to getting back to volunteering.  Both programs I am involved in were shut down due to covid but one is finding a way to do limited programs.

I am a pretty active guy and I am pretty good doing things alone but it is so much nicer with others.  I do love being around good people that are not selfish.

Here I grow again!  It is going to a fun adjustment to make for sure.

Lost

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sadchick83 said:

Lost,

You sound (understandably) very emotional at the moment. While I am not retired, I have had a few gaps in employment over the years.  I suggest working on YOU, since it sounds like you did a lot of sacrificing for others in your career.  I have a Peloton bike which allows me to spin, stretching and yoga classes.  An exercise routine is something I would recommend. Make exercise the foundation of your day.

I agree with Cherylyn.  Acquire great eating habits, maybe do some gratefulness journaling.

Congrats and good luck with everything!

Sad

Thank you SD

Yes it has been a pretty emotional moment.  What my crew and I have done all these years is pretty dangerous and I have watched over them and protected them for a long time.  We are friends as well as colleagues.  I plan on seeing them often.

I eat pretty healthy but working and helping others on the side usually meant eating something quick and easy which as you know is not always a healthy choice. I am a good cook but cooking for one sucks but I will definitely cook more now (I made salmon and mixed veggies last night) I agree I will set a routine for exercise.  Working out, riding my new bike, kayaking and hiking are on the list.  The dog loves hiking with me.

I hope all is well with you

Lost

8 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

Thank you Chrerylyn,

I am looking forward to getting back to volunteering.  Both programs I am involved in were shut down due to covid but one is finding a way to do limited programs.

I am a pretty active guy and I am pretty good doing things alone but it is so much nicer with others.  I do love being around good people that are not selfish.

Here I grow again!  It is going to a fun adjustment to make for sure.

Lost

Yes- I agree with the volunteering and, after taking a bit of time off to do totally nothing, get into a routine/structure your day.  One of my friends volunteers virtually!  Good luck!!!

• Like 2

So happy for you. New adventures, endless possibilities. I have 4 years left to get  30 year pension. I'm the type of person who has to be out of the house at least 4 hours a day, so I plan to work at a less stressful job and/or do some volunteering that regularly takes me out of the house. I get too bored staying home all day, even though I do write novels as a hobby. I might work at the library. I might volunteer at a nearby group home for children who are temporarily there while awaiting foster homes. I have my bucket list of places to visit, like Alaska.

Sometimes it's fun to learn a new language if you're thinking of visiting another country in the future. My friend volunteers on a horse farm where kids with disabilities get to ride the horses. I used to be a docent at the zoo when I had time. There are also museum docent volunteers. You might want to even start your own Meetup.com group.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Big congrAts, Lost!

My best start in the morning is to throw myself straight outside for a long and fast walk throughout my neighborhood. This beats an indoor workout, which I pursue later, because of the fresh air and sense of community with my neighbors.

While walking your property can provide the air and beauty side, there's something special about taking it to streets or a park to share the energies of the people who are doing the same thing. 

This also gives you a platform for planning your day ahead, even while it raises the energy to get stuff done.

Another great pursuit might be joining the fundraiser side of your favorite local charities or civic groups. It expands your scope beyond the group itself into your community and learning the needs and issues and proposed solutions from voices not always heard through normal channels.

Two of my favorites: 'Roots and Wings,' a local group that supports youth that has aged-out of foster care, and 'Strengthen our Sisters (SOS)' a group that safe-houses abused women.

Getting involved in local politics can also help you become part of solutions you would like to see or expand.

• Like 2

Lost! 

Just want to belatedly join the chorus in saying congrats, congrats, congrats. These transitional moments in life are often when we get to taste some new and richer flavors, or so I've found.  

In terms of your questions? I come at this from a curious angle, in that my professional life is pretty unorthodox. Long stretches without work, lots of time roaming the house in a robe, to the point where an alien observer might think I've been retired for a while. 

As much as I want to talk here about routine—I have one, or ones, and am always carving out little micro routines to stay centered or find my way back to center—I really think it's a great moment to just be open to not quite knowing how to fill time. Let itches surface, scratch them. I know I've found a lot of value in being able to sit for long stretches with "I don't know" the dominant theme in my head, without reacting too intensely. 

Going from your posting here, you've got something special in your core. It's going to let you know what you need, as you adjust. In short, maybe right this second the thing to embrace is the wind, and being in it. You've earned that. 

But selfishly? I think you need a computer to stay tethered to this community. Wink emoji. 

• Like 3

What great news, Lost!!  And a belated Happy Birthday on top of that.

My bf worked as a county employee and at 30 years in, he retired at 54.  He surfs almost every morning. At one point belonged to 3 softball teams (that was too much!)  He golfs at least once a week, sometimes 3.   He has a lot of coworker/friends with those (damn) county pensions who retired fairly young(er) as well.  It's pretty envious to watch.

I am getting close to retiring myself.  But I do have my fears.  Being of that working horse mentality my entire life, it gives me a purpose.  I have spent a great deal of time this past year wrapping my head around this exciting transition.  But for now, if my company wants to pay me to do my job in my bathrobe, I will ride this out for the time being!

When I was a stay at home mom I belonged to volunteer organization.  It is up there with one of the most (unpaid) challenging and rewarding experiences I've ever had.  I know there are plenty to choose from.  I find some comfort knowing this is out there if I choose to do it.

I carpooled with someone who retired a couple years ago. I keep in touch with him occasionally and he volunteers for the Red Cross.  He's on a logistics team that is sent out during natural disasters to help support the community find placement.  He's dealt with families affected by earthquakes and fires.  He no sooner came home and they wanted to send him to another state to support the Red Cross in the midst of a flood.  Worn out and getting over bronchitis he had to decline.  Just hearing his stories gets me excited! 

Anyway. . .you'll be fine.  I can only imagine it would be like free falling.  Just have some faith and you'll do fine . . . xoxo

• Like 2
On 2/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, Andrina said:

So happy for you. New adventures, endless possibilities. I have 4 years left to get  30 year pension. I'm the type of person who has to be out of the house at least 4 hours a day, so I plan to work at a less stressful job and/or do some volunteering that regularly takes me out of the house. I get too bored staying home all day, even though I do write novels as a hobby. I might work at the library. I might volunteer at a nearby group home for children who are temporarily there while awaiting foster homes. I have my bucket list of places to visit, like Alaska.

Sometimes it's fun to learn a new language if you're thinking of visiting another country in the future. My friend volunteers on a horse farm where kids with disabilities get to ride the horses. I used to be a docent at the zoo when I had time. There are also museum docent volunteers. You might want to even start your own Meetup.com group.

Enjoy!

All great ideas thank you

I do a lot of volunteering with the disabled so that will probably increase for sure.

Lost

On 2/7/2021 at 9:29 AM, catfeeder said:

Big congrAts, Lost!

My best start in the morning is to throw myself straight outside for a long and fast walk throughout my neighborhood. This beats an indoor workout, which I pursue later, because of the fresh air and sense of community with my neighbors.

While walking your property can provide the air and beauty side, there's something special about taking it to streets or a park to share the energies of the people who are doing the same thing. 

This also gives you a platform for planning your day ahead, even while it raises the energy to get stuff done.

Another great pursuit might be joining the fundraiser side of your favorite local charities or civic groups. It expands your scope beyond the group itself into your community and learning the needs and issues and proposed solutions from voices not always heard through normal channels.

Two of my favorites: 'Roots and Wings,' a local group that supports youth that has aged-out of foster care, and 'Strengthen our Sisters (SOS)' a group that safe-houses abused women.

Getting involved in local politics can also help you become part of solutions you would like to see or expand.

Thank you, great idea about the walk first thing.

It is pretty rural here but I might see a neighbor or two.  A few years ago I decided to back off on the fundraiser stuff for the charities.  I was burned out but I might dabble a little with more time on my hands.

Running for city council would be fun but I am too young for that yet.

Lost

14 hours ago, bluecastle said:

Lost! 

Just want to belatedly join the chorus in saying congrats, congrats, congrats. These transitional moments in life are often when we get to taste some new and richer flavors, or so I've found.  

In terms of your questions? I come at this from a curious angle, in that my professional life is pretty unorthodox. Long stretches without work, lots of time roaming the house in a robe, to the point where an alien observer might think I've been retired for a while. 

As much as I want to talk here about routine—I have one, or ones, and am always carving out little micro routines to stay centered or find my way back to center—I really think it's a great moment to just be open to not quite knowing how to fill time. Let itches surface, scratch them. I know I've found a lot of value in being able to sit for long stretches with "I don't know" the dominant theme in my head, without reacting too intensely. 

Going from your posting here, you've got something special in your core. It's going to let you know what you need, as you adjust. In short, maybe right this second the thing to embrace is the wind, and being in it. You've earned that. 

But selfishly? I think you need a computer to stay tethered to this community. Wink emoji. 

Thanks Blue

I can already feel myself not pushing like I used to.  I don't want to set artificial deadlines and ruin the ride.

I do need to learn to let go and let things happen more, it is the opposite of what made me so good at what I did.

Lost

4 hours ago, reinventmyself said:

What great news, Lost!!  And a belated Happy Birthday on top of that.

My bf worked as a county employee and at 30 years in, he retired at 54.  He surfs almost every morning. At one point belonged to 3 softball teams (that was too much!)  He golfs at least once a week, sometimes 3.   He has a lot of coworker/friends with those (damn) county pensions who retired fairly young(er) as well.  It's pretty envious to watch.

I am getting close to retiring myself.  But I do have my fears.  Being of that working horse mentality my entire life, it gives me a purpose.  I have spent a great deal of time this past year wrapping my head around this exciting transition.  But for now, if my company wants to pay me to do my job in my bathrobe, I will ride this out for the time being!

When I was a stay at home mom I belonged to volunteer organization.  It is up there with one of the most (unpaid) challenging and rewarding experiences I've ever had.  I know there are plenty to choose from.  I find some comfort knowing this is out there if I choose to do it.

I carpooled with someone who retired a couple years ago. I keep in touch with him occasionally and he volunteers for the Red Cross.  He's on a logistics team that is sent out during natural disasters to help support the community find placement.  He's dealt with families affected by earthquakes and fires.  He no sooner came home and they wanted to send him to another state to support the Red Cross in the midst of a flood.  Worn out and getting over bronchitis he had to decline.  Just hearing his stories gets me excited! 

Anyway. . .you'll be fine.  I can only imagine it would be like free falling.  Just have some faith and you'll do fine . . . xoxo

Thank you

Looks like you need to take up surfing and golfing!

The Red Cross is something I never thought of.  We have a search and rescue and a volunteer fire department  near me but that may be to structured for me.  I wouldn't want to do something to close to my old life.

Your bf sounds like he has it figured out and you are right behind him!

Lost

2 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

I do need to learn to let go and let things happen more, it is the opposite of what made me so good at what I did.

This is how you can stumble across the things that inspires you to push on occasion, only it will be selective and voluntary rather than a constant state of being.

I like to call it 'puttering,' and it's one of my favorite things.

EnjOy!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

Thank you

Looks like you need to take up surfing and golfing!

The Red Cross is something I never thought of.  We have a search and rescue and a volunteer fire department  near me but that may be to structured for me.  I wouldn't want to do something to close to my old life.

Your bf sounds like he has it figured out and you are right behind him!

Lost

My friend who volunteers for the Red Cross is 66 

Surfing, no.  I do golf.  Not very well and I pick up my ball a lot to keep up.  🤫

• Confused 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Congratulations. You will suddenly be asking yourself how the heck you ever found time for a job. The mail will be more interesting, and you may even enjoy flipping through the ink soaked junk mail before it hits the recycle bin. Once that phase passes, you will wonder what you had planned to do for the rest of your life. You might feel down too, but that will pass real quick, so long as you keep yourself busy with hobbies and things you love to do. You mentioned leading an organization for years. If you should get bored, you could do a little start up, on your terms. It sounds like you have a ton of people in your network that respect you, and that would give you a lot of support.  I am not suggesting this for money, but something for you to do, that you are passionate about and never took the time to do. Something  that wouldn't really feel like a job or work. You would be your own boss and could shut the doors anytime you wanted. You could work 2 hours a week or 30. Something FUN after the years of structured service that you gave to others. You seem like a very sociable person, so that is why I think that would be a neat thing for you to do. It's not that you have to work, or even want to. But like I said, if it's something you are passionate about and love, then it would not be work at all. Enjoy your retirement. And, again, congrats from a semi-retired.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Honeycomb8 said:

That's amazing, I'm sure you will be missed. It shows true dedication and commitment to stay in a company for that long, I really hope they send you off with a massive bonus! 

No massive bonus, it isn't legal for me to get a bonus but they had to pay me for all my unused vacation which came to over 17K so that was nice.  I put half into investments and I am going to buy something for myself with the rest.

Lost