The Vaccine

Hollyj

14 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My cousin was given antibiotics for the pneumonia she had as a result of the virus.

I had pneumonia years ago and was given penicillin.

That makes sense, unless it was viral pneumonia.  

"Pneumonia is an infection that causes inflammation in your lungs. The main causesof pneumonia are bacteria, fungi, parasites, or viruses. This article is about viral pneumonia. Viral pneumonia is a complication of the viruses that cause colds and the flu."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hollyj said:

That makes sense, unless it was viral pneumonia.  

"Pneumonia is an infection that causes inflammation in your lungs. The main causesof pneumonia are bacteria, fungi, parasites, or viruses. This article is about viral pneumonia. Viral pneumonia is a complication of the viruses that cause colds and the flu."

You don't give antibiotics for viruses.     "Antibiotics are strong medicines that treat bacterial infections. Antibiotics won't treat viral infections because they can't kill viruses. You'll get better when the viral infection has run its course. Common illnesses caused by bacteria are urinary tract infections, strep throat, and some pneumonia."

My understanding is that the lungs can become infected from the fluid that accumulates in them from the pneumonia and the antibiotics work to clear up the infection.  But I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV lol.  I just know when I had it and was given penicillin, it worked.

That was probably in the top 3 of the sickest I've ever been.  I actually got delirious from the high fever.

With the Covid I currently have I never got a high fever.  It never went above 99.3 degrees Fahrenheit, thankfully.  And that was just on one day.

5 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My understanding is that the lungs can become infected from the fluid that accumulates in them from the pneumonia and the antibiotics work to clear up the infection.  But I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV lol.  I just know when I had it and was given penicillin, it worked.

That was probably in the top 3 of the sickest I've ever been.  I actually got delirious from the high fever.

With the Covid I currently have I never got a high fever.  It never went above 99.3 degrees Fahrenheit, thankfully.  And that was just on one day.

Antibiotics are so overused, and I am guilty of that.   Makes us so much more susceptible to bad stuff.  I totally get why they would want to clear out the infection.   Did they also give you diuretics for the fluid?   That fever sounds frightening.  

My mom had it twice.  Landed  her in the hospital both times.   So scary .  She had issues with asthma after.  Now she has COPD from the damage that was done.   Never smoked.   

Thankfully, you did not have a high fever.  How are you feeling?

I'm plugging along.  My chest hurts a bit less.  It's been like a really, really bad cold for the past few days rather than a bad flu, so I hope that means I'm getting better.

The fatigue is tough to deal with.  Showering makes me feel like I just ran a marathon.  But I feel icky if I don't shower.

I've put my job search on hold until after the new year (for obvious reasons!).  I'm very fortunate to have housing and savings to tide me over until I can get some kind of job (after I'm healthy again, of course!)

There is little point in catastrophising. What has happened in the past has happened. It is so important to get on board with this vaccine.  And yes, 2021, even if the latter part, will be great.  

And I echo Holly:

"I am thrilled the vaccine is here.    We will not see death tolls increasing, people standing in food lines, or people losing their jobs and homes.   

Looking forward to a normal and  great 2021!

I hope that people will get vaccinated so that we will see an end to this nightmare!"

Just to add that I have no fear whatsoever of taking this vaccine, and if I had to pay for it I would.  I don't consider myself a "guinea pig" because I am an enthusiast of this vaccine.  Allergic reactions? Maybe some will have a reaction. I am allergic (for example) to mushrooms (no, not the magic kind lol) and I just love all the varieties, but dare not eat. I can only assume there will be no mushroom spores in the vaccine. 

28 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I'm plugging along.  My chest hurts a bit less.  It's been like a really, really bad cold for the past few days rather than a bad flu, so I hope that means I'm getting better.

The fatigue is tough to deal with.  Showering makes me feel like I just ran a marathon.  But I feel icky if I don't shower.

I've put my job search on hold until after the new year (for obvious reasons!).  I'm very fortunate to have housing and savings to tide me over until I can get some kind of job (after I'm healthy again, of course!)

I hope this passes very quickly.  Thankfully, you have been able to stay at home.  

29 minutes ago, LaHermes said:

There is little point in catastrophising. What has happened in the past has happened. It is so important to get on board with this vaccine.  And yes, 2021, even if the latter part, will be great.  

And I echo Holly:

"I am thrilled the vaccine is here.    We will not see death tolls increasing, people standing in food lines, or people losing their jobs and homes.   

Looking forward to a normal and  great 2021!

I hope that people will get vaccinated so that we will see an end to this nightmare!"

Just to add that I have no fear whatsoever of taking this vaccine, and if I had to pay for it I would.  I don't consider myself a "guinea pig" because I am an enthusiast of this vaccine.  Allergic reactions? Maybe some will have a reaction. I am allergic (for example) to mushrooms (no, not the magic kind lol) and I just love all the varieties, but dare not eat. I can only assume there will be no mushroom spores in the vaccine. 

I would pay for it, too.   My mother will get vaccinated at her community next month.   Thank God!  It will relieve 90% of my anxiety associated with this damn virus.   The thing that started in the UK, is even more scary.    Almost scary to go out.

6 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I am sure it is not just in the UK. World travelling I can guarantee it is elsewhere already. 

I read that its spread to Europe and Australia so far. 😞 

Canada is not allowing any planes from UK into their country right now, I'm not sure about the US.

24 minutes ago, SherrySher said:

I read that its spread to Europe and Australia so far. 😞 

Canada is not allowing any planes from UK into their country right now, I'm not sure about the US.

Well, we had a few land today. Soooooooo

But we will see what happens . It is supposed to be initially 72 hour flight ban. 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

Well, we had a few land today. Soooooooo

But we will see what happens . It is supposed to be initially 72 hour flight ban. 

A bit off the subject, but a guy chose to fly with COVID symptoms on a flight to LA and he died in flight. So now (if it ends up he was positive), he exposed everyone on that flight.

Not a flight from the UK or from Canada. Just crazy news from today...

So I am not quite 65, but I’m going through cancer treatment. I have a doctor appointment on the 30th so maybe my doc will tell me whether I’m supposed to get the shot.

Im fine stepping aside so frontline medical workers, emergency responders, and other essential workers can get protection. I’m staying home anyhow - and I get grocery delivery or no contact grocery pickup. I can continue doing that through the summer. But I may have to go to work in person in the Fall.

However, I will follow what my doctor decides. Because I do have to go to doctor appointments once a month, so there is a risk of exposure.

10 minutes ago, luminousone said:

A bit off the subject, but a guy chose to fly with COVID symptoms on a flight to LA and he died in flight. So now (if it ends up he was positive), he exposed everyone on that flight.

Not a flight from the UK or from Canada. Just crazy news from today...

What the heck???? Flies with COVID symptoms and dies in flight ? 
Yup, may stay here forever. 

2 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I know, right? He essentially lied his way on board. When he had the heart attack on board, his wife mentioned that he had been having symptoms... 

The passenger that did CPR on him is now feeling symptoms and will get tested.

Many of the passengers on that flight went off to join other flights!

Others probably went to join extended families for the holidays...

Yup. Stay home!!!

7 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

According to his wife, he had symptoms and knew he probably had it, but she said they were just trying to get him home and then they'd get tested later.

Instead, he exposed all the people on the flight including 3 passengers who tried to save him, and then died.

And there is a perfect example of why this thing is not going away. When you have symptoms you do not get on an airplane!

*Jinx luminousone!

9 minutes ago, luminousone said:

I know, right? He essentially lied his way on board. When he had the heart attack on board, his wife mentioned that he had been having symptoms... 

Yup. Stay home!!!

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

The level of don’t give a crap about others is astounding. 

Just now, Seraphim said:

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

The level of don’t give a crap about others is astounding. 

So true. And now that passenger may be infected. He said he knew he was putting himself at risk, but he couldn’t just sit there and watch the guy die. 

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

How selfish can someone get.   I believe the wife stated they  suspected that he had Covid, yet they got on a full plane.   I hate these people!   One of the passengers that gave him CPR said that the suspected as they had heard him coughing when he boarded.

The passengers that tried to save him are angels.   Can't get more selfless than that!

3 hours ago, luminousone said:

Yup. Stay home!!!

Profound!   Why the hell are people traveling!

4 hours ago, luminousone said:

I’m going through cancer treatment. I have a doctor appointment on the 30th so maybe my doc will tell me whether I’m supposed to get the shot.I

Same here.  My oncologist told me at this stage not to get any shots because due to a very weak immune system, your body may not respond as well, or the vaccine may not work at all.  

Archived