Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

Tom's Journal - Becoming the man I've always wanted to be

Long Gone

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good points you make though, but I did want to just make it clear I wasn't doing this blindly.

View looks good! I don't really know enough about keto diets to give a decent well-informed opinion on them. My first impression is that they fall into the 'extreme and therefore very difficult to stick to' category! Though I used to know a couple of people from my old gym who swore by them.

There's a lot of pro sportspeople with diabetes (Steve Redgrave probably the most famous) who've managed to work their diet around their diabetes while still taking in enough healthy carbs to give them enough energy to train and compete effectively. As a sidenote, it's a shame this forum doesn't have a health and fitness sub-forum. Plays a huge part in mental wellbeing imo.

Beautiful photography! Also reading your post... this stood out to me. Yes!

Certainly reminded me to what being happy really means.

I followed the ketogenic lifestyle for awhile although I didn't need it. It is extreme for the average person but it works. It certainly worked for me (did it for two years). After coming out of it my body had no ill effects and I had no issues with cholesterol as that was a concern due to high intake of meats. Since then I've remained on a low(er) sugar and carb intake. I generally stick to proteins snacks in the mountains and lots of electrolytes. Mind you, I still do have regular Cadbury and Lindt chocolate bars in the house next to the Russell Stover sugar free ones. ;)

Ps: I agree on the sports and nutrition or health and fitness forum! That would be lovely.

I subscribe to the "everything in moderation" method of eating. I agree that completely denying yourself something results in that something becoming more attractive and therefore leaves you vulnerable to gorging. However, the relationship between emotions and food has to be addressed before any kind of "diet" (meaning lifelong eating habits, not "going on a 'diet'") can be successful. If one has become accustomed to using food as comfort or soothing or reward, it doesn't matter what kinds of food you buy because as soon as one has a rough day they will turn to food out of habit. That mindset must change.

Tom, I presume you've discussed your tendency to use food to comfort yourself with your therapist. Has she/he given you helpful suggestions to change this tendency?

Beautiful photography! Also reading your post... this stood out to me. Yes!

[/font][/color]

I followed the ketogenic lifestyle for awhile although I didn't need it. It is extreme for the average person but it works. It certainly worked for me (did it for two years). After coming out of it my body had no ill effects and I had no issues with cholesterol as that was a concern due to high intake of meats. Since then I've remained on a low(er) sugar and carb intake. I generally stick to proteins snacks in the mountains and lots of electrolytes. Mind you, I still do have regular Cadbury and Lindt chocolate bars in the house next to the Russell Stover sugar free ones. ;)

Ps: I agree on the sports and nutrition or health and fitness forum! That would be lovely.

Rose you must be UK based if you are mentioning Cadburys :D I lived in Germany for a couple of years and would have slit your throat for a bar of Cadburys lol .....oh great ..now I need chocolate * sigh

Rose you must be UK based if you are mentioning Cadburys :D I lived in Germany for a couple of years and would have slit your throat for a bad of Cadburys lol .....oh great ..now I need chocolate * sigh

Pippy, we have Cadbury in the US too.

Sadly (fasten your seatbelt)...I am allergic to chocolate.

Indeed Bolt. Cadbury seems to be everywhere. They must be good at marketing. And it isn't the best chocolate either.

I actually don't particularly like chocolate, and on occasions when I did eat one or two I found it gave me a pounding headache. So maybe allergic like you to chocs, Bolt.

Bolt has such a good point.. I don't have any connection with emotions and food so this is a layer I completely don't have any firsthand knowledge of. I only know it had a profound effect on my ex and so challenging. I think that's why some nutrition and health forums also have sections that have warnings for triggers for those who are working through any issues. This sensitivity to food or link to emotions is on a whole other level. Hopefully the therapist can shed more light or someone trained to help with this as mentioned.

Pippy, I would gladly wheelbarrow you all the Cadburys I can get my hands on. I am in BC, Canada. The Cadbury here is not nearly as great as in Europe. There's a funny aftertaste here compared to the chocolate I've had there. I still love it anyway... this and Kit Kat.

At the moment I'm very much sticking to soups as my staple diet. It is interesting that the injections aren't suppressing my appetite as much as they use to, and I'm having to increasingly rely on will power.

I think re the diet, it'd be worth you starting to think long-term.

From what I've read of your posts re food, you sound like quite a lot of people I know who are always seemingly going round this 'lose weight gain weight' cycle. They 'go on a diet' and this diet is usually extreme. They'll cut out any food at all which is slightly fattening and just eat salad or just eat soup or whatever. And they'll lose a decent chunk of weight for a while. The problem though is that the diet isn't sustainable because it's too far removed from a normal diet. So after a while, they 'fall off the wagon' and pile the weight back on. They then start another diet and the cycle continues.

What I'd try to aspire to if I were you is an all round healthy but balanced diet that's not too extreme so that it is sustainable long-term. I've been a lot heavier myself (I gained 4 stone a few years ago after knee surgeries put me out of action for 2 years) but I've since lost it all and kept it all off. And I think the main reason I've kept it off is that my diet is healthy and balanced but not extreme (I eat around 3000 calories a day with 200g protein) - so it's easy to stick to. Hope I don't sound like I'm p***ing on your parade too much because, as you said, you've lost a decent chunk - I'm just thinking long-term (soup isn't going to be the staple of your diet for the rest of your life!)

Definitely second this advice! My husband has weight issues sometimes, too, a lot of it I'm sure is just the bad Western diet plus genetics = yo-yo-ing back and forth.

If you can find something you like that you can realistically imagine yourself doing for life, that will be your secret weapon!

Bolt, we haven't really touched on the food issues, but its one I'll bring up at next weeks session.

For the moment, I'm happy with how I'm working on my weight diet wise. I'm not particularly wishing to stray of it and I'm loving feeling fitter that I can now managed mountain fell walks. The ozempic injections are helping, but I want to be able to manage this the natural way once I get to my target weight. I agree, I do need to vary it up a bit....I'm just not wanting cause any issues of gaining weight by over eating so I'm playing it cautiously.

I'm just happy right now that I'm approaching four stone (56 pounds) weight lost since the beginning of August.

DB.

Those are the most amazing, beautiful photos! High quality, DB. The light, the atmosphere, the colours. Such amazing places.

Thanks LaH

I can't describe how great today has felt. Give it a couple of weeks, and I'll be doing another 'Wainwright'.... 'Haystacks' which is another I attempted nearly 3 years ago but gave up 3/4 of the way up. I did get some stunning views though, so I look forward to seeing them again!

50633839086_589bb77c64_k.jpgIMG_8800 (3) by Dales Boy, on Flickr

Pippy, I would gladly wheelbarrow you all the Cadburys I can get my hands on. I am in BC, Canada. The Cadbury here is not nearly as great as in Europe. There's a funny aftertaste here compared to the chocolate I've had there. I still love it anyway... this and Kit Kat.

Damn hike of a wheelbarrowing session of you are in Canada lol I never thought of you having Nestle ( the kit kats ) either .... I must be thinking of something I have seen on the telly where they are asking people to bring them * real* chocolate and Yorkshire tea and things like that .

Pics look great! It's a nice part of the world, I've spent a lot of time around there.

I've only realised today that there actually is a 'Health, body, mind and spirit' sub-forum. Never knew it was there!

Yes, very nice... I get a bit nostalgic looking at old photos of the land, hoping to bits not too much ice melts off here or soil erodes there. I don't know if anyone else gets that way especially if there's that connection to it. I always think about the glaciers here and how they're receding. It makes me appreciate the work of the photographer a lot.

Yes, very nice... I get a bit nostalgic looking at old photos of the land, hoping to bits not too much ice melts off here or soil erodes there. I don't know if anyone else gets that way especially if there's that connection to it. I always think about the glaciers here and how they're receding. It makes me appreciate the work of the photographer a lot.

That is fascinating Rose, to live in a country where glacial action is still altering the landscape. The irony being of course, that the valleys/mountains I walk in, were formed my glacial action too....granted it was all a few years ago....well, a few thousand actually! 😂

That is fascinating Rose, to live in a country where glacial action is still altering the landscape. The irony being of course, that the valleys/mountains I walk in, were formed my glacial action too....granted it was all a few years ago....well, a few thousand actually! 

Isn't that the truth, Tom! I really enjoy those stories from the landscape. Keep up the great photography. Such a balm to the soul.

Yesterday‘s hike has had a real positive impact on me mentally. I’ve been going back and looking at the photos I’d taken. Fresh air, exercise and the natural world....nothing better!

Maybe it’s the love of the mountains, but I’ve been revisiting the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Tonight we finished ‘The Two Towers-Extended Edition’. I’ve always enjoyed the mythology surrounding Tolkien’s work. I read Fellowship of the Ring fifteen years ago, thinking of starting it again.

Right, bed for us I think. Tomorrow is a whole new day! 😊

My husband loves landscapes like this! If you figure out how to do prints, I'd totally buy your artwork!!!!

That is very kind of you.

I'd always felt I was just an amateur and my photos really weren't good enough, but it maybe something worth looking into. I have to admit I'm rather pleased with these latest ones.

50640632831_1e7f4a94a5_k.jpgDSC07765 (2) by Dales Boy, on Flickr

Archived