Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Diabetic sugar free foods

Seraphim

Raw cocoa powder is not bitter at all. It is in fact mild and pleasant and flavorful. Mix it with hot milk, add a little vanilla extract and you have your drink sugar free. You might be surprised that you don't actually need to add any sweetener at all.

Oh just one important note on that - if you are taking blood pressure meds or have high blood pressure, raw cocoa powder will drop your blood pressure by up to 40%, so beware of an over medicating effect. Raw cocoa is quite potent like that and yes, there actual scientific study done on this with those results found to be consistent.

Wow. I never knew that about the blood pressure connection. Interesting.

A lot of paleo and keto recipes are low carb / with low to no sugar. I like the paleo ones better as they tend to focus more on single ingredient whole foods and will generally be grain and dairy free.

I make my own hot chocolate with cocoa powder, a table spoon of sugar and high fat cream... the fat slows the uptake of carbs and makes it easier to regulate insulin production. I am sure you could sub the sugar for stevia, in fact you definitely can, my neighbour is on a sugar free diet and does this all the time.

I find Stevia is bitter in itself. I think Splenda tastes more like sugar. The No Name brand at No Frills is much cheaper and its exactly the same ingredients as the real Splenda.

What did you use for a whitener? Real milk or powdered milk or did you just have it without any whitener? There are non-dairy creamers if you are lactose intolerant.

I find Stevia is bitter in itself. I think Splenda tastes more like sugar. The No Name brand at No Frills is much cheaper and its exactly the same ingredients as the real Splenda.

What did you use for a whitener? Real milk or powdered milk or did you just have it without any whitener? There are non-dairy creamers if you are lactose intolerant.

No whitener at all.

• 1 month later...

Archived