Engagement ring, important?

Shop around other than Amazon because there are great deals and discounts.

I wear a fake ring for errands and work. I wear my beautiful ring set (wedding / engagement) from my jewelry box at home which I wear for dining out or special occasions because I don't want to get it scratched and scuffed.

I think it's best to ask her what she likes and shop together.

I'd be angry if my husband spent thousands of dollars without conferring with me first. This is if it required my income to pay for the ring(s)!

Back in the day, my fiance at the time bought my engagement ring on his own which he saved for. It was expensive but not unreasonably expensive many years ago.

You should ask her.

My guy works a job where he can't wear a ring (it would be dangerous). If i said "he doesn't need one, because he takes it off for work" , that would be awfully callous.

If she wears it on days off, going out with you, etc, she is no less deserving of a ring. In fact, if you already live together with kids, all the more reason to do something really nice. There will be no night wedding anticipation etc or big wedding because the horse is already out of the barn. I don't think you have to spend $2k but show her that you don't take her for granted. That a ring is not just a "you are here, so we might as well..."

Im not opposed to asking her, a few months ago we had a brief conversation and she exclaimed that she doesnt want anything big or fancy, she said she doesnt care because it will be from me and thats all she cares about. Whilst thats lovely its very little help.

Not sure how this isn't helpful. You have to trust what she says. If you're not sure of the exact style ring she'd like, take her to the jeweler and have her show you rings that she likes that are within your budget.

Thanks everyone, we had a conversation in bed last night about some future plans and she said"it would be nice to get married one day" so I need to hurry up. Especially with the Royal F up which is Brexit Im not sure if we'll even be allowed to go to Paris on Nov 1st. So Ive got 4 weeks and counting.

Thanks everyone, we had a conversation in bed last night about some future plans and she said"it would be nice to get married one day" so I need to hurry up. Especially with the Royal F up which is Brexit Im not sure if we'll even be allowed to go to Paris on Nov 1st. So Ive got 4 weeks and counting.

Why do you have to go to Paris -- you can be more unexpected if you don't make it a huge production.

• 2 weeks later...
Im not opposed to asking her, a few months ago we had a brief conversation and she exclaimed that she doesnt want anything big or fancy, she said she doesnt care because it will be from me and thats all she cares about. Whilst thats lovely its very little help. Since its not been mentioned I thought it would be nice to surprise her with the trip to Paris, and then the proposal. I know she loves the impulsive romantic gestures so I know she'll love the trip and one knee thing. Im not planning too much, because it could all go wrong, just gonna check into the hotel and go for a walk around Eiffel and Ill find the right spot/time.

I didnt want to ask and tip her off but maybe thats just best. Thanks for the advice, might be a breakfast date near the jewellers soon then.

My husband proposed, on one knee, on a street in Edinburgh, in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. It was intimate, yet soooo romantic and I will never get tired of telling that story. A proposal in Paris sounds great!

Get her a basic solitaire (worry more about quality than size) and then tell her she can add to it. My husband did that - he proposed with a beautiful diamond solitaire that had been a family ring, and then we chose a new setting for it together to make it ours.

I'm in the big, shiny ring camp, but I'm not her. I've been engaged many times (yes, many lol), and I've always chosen the ring, except once when it was a family heirloom (beautiful, and yes, I returned it to him).

My point is, I had involvement in each one, which I really appreciated. So I'd get her involvement, and since you two have children, agree on a budget. Get some ideas from her via some screenshots, shapes, etc., and then you take it from there, within that budget. I've always worked within whatever budget my then-fiancé set and was always a happy customer. Oh, and I love your Paris idea!

Archived