Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

Seraphim

It is Thanksgiving this weekend. My honey is coming home a day early ! Yay! He gets to spend 5 days at home . Thank you honey’s boss! It is the first Thanksgiving we are having at home and not travelling some place in 15 years.

Yesterday, was a long day. I went to the dentist back in T. And on my drive back just out of my home location here I came across a tiny little very little kind of fur dog running all over the hwy. I stopped and put on my hazards and got out and tried to entice her to come to me but she ran into the woods shaking and terrified. Further along the hwy in a tiny town 4 preteen boys were running about the road blocking cars from driving . I said get off the damned road before I call the police . 

I am still worried about that poor little dog but I couldn’t run into the bush to find her as you don’t know what is in there . 

• Sad 1

My mom is driving me around the bend with her rocking . She constantly rocks back and forth and has only done this since my step dad died. She says it helps her cope so I don’t say anything but I am ready to run away screaming. It is visually distracting on a constant level . 

My mom has expressed an irritation with our lack of daily structure as a family . I said that is very hard with a neurodiverse family . We do things as people are ready to do it . She says , “ well I thrive on having a family routine . “ I said , “ well we thrive on everyone doing their own things with while having the company of family . I said no one is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do but you can’t make people do what you want . We have had our own family and ways for 31 years . “ 

Yes. I’m more of a routine person as far as meals but try to be flexible since our son sleeps in etc but most often I just eat on my own. I mean most people who move into an existing family need to be the ones accommodating.  Even if she is your mother. 
the rocking thing would drive me batty too 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Yes. I’m more of a routine person as far as meals but try to be flexible since our son sleeps in etc but most often I just eat on my own. I mean most people who move into an existing family need to be the ones accommodating.  Even if she is your mother. 
the rocking thing would drive me batty too 

That’s the thing she is fitting into our family not taking over our family . She is definitely used to her way . The way she wants thing decorated to when she wants things done etc. We are very laissé faire. When we do it is when we do it . That is why she is giving me anxiety with her uptight attitude. She is always , “ you were never like this , you’ve change .” Yada yada yada … well, yes this is MY family . And we do it our way. 

• Thanks 1

She also turns every single light in the house on because it is “ cheerful”. That was ok when she lived at her apartment and paid $45 a month for gas and hydro but not when you have to pay hundreds for the same services. Turn the damned lights off if you aren’t in the room. 

On 10/10/2024 at 6:26 AM, Seraphim said:

And on my drive back just out of my home location here I came across a tiny little very little kind of fur dog running all over the hwy. I stopped and put on my hazards and got out and tried to entice her to come to me but she ran into the woods shaking and terrified

Once my family found a dog in the road that looked like it had been hit. We were able to get it to an animal hospital but it was too late and had to be put down. Was really sad. Hope the dog is safe where ever he is.

Enjoy the holiday weekend.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Seraphim said:

She is always , “ you were never like this , you’ve change .” Yada yada yada … well, yes this is MY family . And we do it our way. 

That change and that way has worked for decades. Maybe it's a good thing? Can't people just each do their own thing and what works for them? Nothing is stopping her from having her own routine if it makes her happy.

The turning all the lights on would be what drives me crazy. If you aren't using it, and haven't for the last hour, just turn the thing off already! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShySoul said:

That change and that way has worked for decades. Maybe it's a good thing? Can't people just each do their own thing and what works for them? Nothing is stopping her from having her own routine if it makes her happy.

The turning all the lights on would be what drives me crazy. If you aren't using it, and haven't for the last hour, just turn the thing off already! 

Part of why she is so disgruntled is because she couldn’t bring HER furniture. So she insists because it is my furniture all the decorations HAVE to be hers or else and SHE will do the decorating or else. And get this house to HER standard in HER time line or else kind of deal. She wants the house Buckingham Palace ready 24/7 like her house and apartment were. She also demands that I throw away my things because she had to throw away some of her things and furniture so fair is fair . Yada yada yada . Well that is a nope nope nope . She is mad she can’t make me . She used to be able to guilt and harass me into doing what she wanted so she is mad she can’t . 

Nobody is stopping her . She has her own money and car and licence. She was always able to enforce her way with me before and now she can’t and with my husband she has never been able to. She is mad that my son’s loyalty is to me above anyone else . And if she is nattering and I get upset he gets mad at her and that should never happen according to her . She is nattering for the sake of my own good and he should stay out of it or if he can’t do that he should not get mad at her. She’s just a little old lady and his grandmother. 

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Don’t let your super power be your kryptonite. 

Really speaks to me (and not just as a Superman fan). Actually had someone say what my superpower is and I agree with them. But it also is the thing that hurts me the most. Trying to walk that delicate line is challenging.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Really speaks to me (and not just as a Superman fan). Actually had someone say what my superpower is and I agree with them. But it also is the thing that hurts me the most. Trying to walk that delicate line is challenging.

Exactly . I used to be a very open empath. It was my kryptonite for decades. I have learned to close that off when necessary. However, I can go the other way as well and I can be cold and gruff although very seldom. It is a very fine line between both. 

• Like 1

Canada is a major producer of diamonds . Mine come from the Diavik mine I  believe . I would have to look at my authenticity paperwork . 

There is a common misconception that all diamonds are mined in Africa by poor children or slaves. Not true . Russia produces 31% of the world’s diamonds. And Canada produces about 13%. Together we produce 44% of the world’s diamonds. Many are mined in Africa, but just be aware they come from other regions. I know when we look for diamonds, we look for them from our own country and they are advertised as Canadian diamonds. Canada also inscribes ID numbers on the actual diamonds with the ID from what mine they came from. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Canada is a major producer of diamonds . Mine come from the Diavik mine I  believe . I would have to look at my authenticity paperwork . 

There is a common misconception that all diamonds are mined in Africa by poor children or slaves. Not true . Russia produces 31% of the world’s diamonds. And Canada produces about 13%. Together we produce 44% of the world’s diamonds. Many are mined in Africa, but just be aware they come from other regions. I know when we look for diamonds, we look for them from our own country and they are advertised as Canadian diamonds. Canada also inscribes ID numbers on the actual diamonds with the ID from what mine they came from. 

Did you mean to post this here or the other thread? I had this thought -so let's say a couple decide to do CZ because diamonds are "unethical." OK so then will they be as careful if they plan a big wedding reception? Meaning -who is being hired to help at the event -are they being paid a fair wage? is the employer an ethical person? Who is making the centerpieces? Who is working at the hotels where they're putting up out of town guests? And what are they registering for for gifts? From big corporations perhaps??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Evening Seraphim! 

Is this from your thoughts on an ethical debate? 

I never knew this regarding diamonds and Canada! This is a great fact! 

Also, although I am not particularly righteously minded and high handed regarding ethics, I will say being ethically minded and environmentally friendly are unexpected bi products of buying mostly antique. It’s up cycling at it’s most chic! 

I have to say it’s been a nice surprise pro for me! My engagement ring is also antique, I think it’s roughly about 200 years old (ish). Things were hand made back then. 90% of our furniture is also antique, mostly Georgian. No more trees have been chopped or slave labour bought for the majority of my furniture and the houses we buy are always period properties, no more land was cleared for them or materials gathered etc etc. This isn’t my driving reason to go old school as you know - I just prefer old things! 

I read once that anyone who has a smart phone is indirectly funding child slave labour. They auction these babes off and send them down mines for Cobalt, I believe? Is that right? That is contained in all smart phone devices? 

Even if you are vegan, millions of small field animals are mangled and killed when wheat and grains are harvested. Insects killed with pesticides for fruit and vegetables, and indirectly because of that birds and other animals that eat the insects. You can just go on and on. 

I remember seeing some pictures of your jewellery and I think your collection is beautiful! 

I like emeralds, but I have none 🥲😆

I also like vintage watches! I don’t know if I ever mentioned this but, the husband bought me a fantastic, very elegant 80s Gucci cocktail watch. Tiny square face proud with 180 dinky diamonds. I think he got it for my 21st Birthday. It’s basically a second hand watch. I’ll say vintage or antique if I am trying to go fancy 🤣

If I ever find myself in Canada, remind me to go rob a diamond mine!!!

x

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Did you mean to post this here or the other thread? I had this thought -so let's say a couple decide to do CZ because diamonds are "unethical." OK so then will they be as careful if they plan a big wedding reception? Meaning -who is being hired to help at the event -are they being paid a fair wage? is the employer an ethical person? Who is making the centerpieces? Who is working at the hotels where they're putting up out of town guests? And what are they registering for for gifts? From big corporations perhaps??

Yes, it was meant for my journal . That is the thing if we are looking for ethical in every aspect we would do and get nothing . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mylolita said:

Evening Seraphim! 

Is this from your thoughts on an ethical debate? 

I never knew this regarding diamonds and Canada! This is a great fact! 

Also, although I am not particularly righteously minded and high handed regarding ethics, I will say being ethically minded and environmentally friendly are unexpected bi products of buying mostly antique. It’s up cycling at it’s most chic! 

I have to say it’s been a nice surprise pro for me! My engagement ring is also antique, I think it’s roughly about 200 years old (ish). Things were hand made back then. 90% of our furniture is also antique, mostly Georgian. No more trees have been chopped or slave labour bought for the majority of my furniture and the houses we buy are always period properties, no more land was cleared for them or materials gathered etc etc. This isn’t my driving reason to go old school as you know - I just prefer old things! 

I read once that anyone who has a smart phone is indirectly funding child slave labour. They auction these babes off and send them down mines for Cobalt, I believe? Is that right? That is contained in all smart phone devices? 

Even if you are vegan, millions of small field animals are mangled and killed when wheat and grains are harvested. Insects killed with pesticides for fruit and vegetables, and indirectly because of that birds and other animals that eat the insects. You can just go on and on. 

I remember seeing some pictures of your jewellery and I think your collection is beautiful! 

I like emeralds, but I have none 🥲😆

I also like vintage watches! I don’t know if I ever mentioned this but, the husband bought me a fantastic, very elegant 80s Gucci cocktail watch. Tiny square face proud with 180 dinky diamonds. I think he got it for my 21st Birthday. It’s basically a second hand watch. I’ll say vintage or antique if I am trying to go fancy 🤣

If I ever find myself in Canada, remind me to go rob a diamond mine!!!

x

Vintage is so so beautiful. I am afraid of bad juju so I look from afar… lol. My husband has an Omega watch that is now vintage that I gave him for our engagement. Last Christmas we had it sent to Switzerland to be cleaned and have the workings replaced and a new band . The only official dealer is in Toronto. ( that is anywhere close to me ) It was like $800 for the refurbishment. However, I did notice they called my husband, sir, a lot …. lol. Quality gets noticed . 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Batya33 said:

With all these ethical considerations, plus that I don't like big crowds or being the center of attention anyway, you have convinced me to try and convince a future finance to skip the big wedding and head to a minister of the peace. Assuming a CZ ring and that the best man and maid of honor would be ethical friends, that only leaves the cake to worry about. 😁

Probably going to have to change those plans to give her the wedding of her dreams. Though with my outlook, by the time I get there maybe she'll be over the whole big celebration idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShySoul said:

With all these ethical considerations, plus that I don't like big crowds or being the center of attention anyway, you have convinced me to try and convince a future finance to skip the big wedding and head to a minister of the peace. Assuming a CZ ring and that the best man and maid of honor would be ethical friends, that only leaves the cake to worry about. 😁

Probably going to have to change those plans to give her the wedding of her dreams. Though with my outlook, by the time I get there maybe she'll be over the whole big celebration idea.

We had a small wedding 45 people. We had it at small chapel . My reception was at my mom’s house and my brother’s gf ( later his wife and now ex wife) did the food. So we were mostly ethical. Our vow renewal was the same. 12 people only direct family and I made the food. 
My ring I don’t know where the stone was from and my husband was only 21 when he bought it . 

• Thanks 1