Open Club  ·  109 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

Seraphim

On 8/3/2024 at 6:40 AM, Seraphim said:

Yesterday was mostly a good day then my mom makes a snidely comment out of nowhere. So I sat silent for a second and I said calmly , “ THAT is an example of how you treat me. You aren’t as innocent as you claim . Your snidely comments hurt me and please stop. “ In about two minutes she came over and hugged me tight and said “ I am sorry.” 
Progress. 

Wish that would work with my mother. 

Take the small victories any way you can get them.

Good luck with the training.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Wish that would work with my mother. 

Take the small victories any way you can get them.

Good luck with the training.

I am sorry. Sometimes parents hurt their kids more than they realize. They think they can still hand out rules and criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's 79 and likes to talk and complain. At that age, shes probably set in her ways and isn't going to change. So I just try to focus on the positives. Her health is okay, and she loves me as best as she's able. Though I'm glad we're on opposite sides of the country and I can get away with a call each week. 😉

Good luck with your mom. I know it's a lot of stress and can be frustrating, but you seem to handle it well. She's lucky to have you there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

She's 79 and likes to talk and complain. At that age, shes probably set in her ways and isn't going to change. So I just try to focus on the positives. Her health is okay, and she loves me as best as she's able. Though I'm glad we're on opposite sides of the country and I can get away with a call each week. 😉

Good luck with your mom. I know it's a lot of stress and can be frustrating, but you seem to handle it well. She's lucky to have you there.

Thanks . We do love each other to pieces and she has admitted it is almost impossible to let your kids just be adults. Your mom is similar my mom’s age . My mom is 78. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Thanks . We do love each other to pieces and she has admitted it is almost impossible to let your kids just be adults. Your mom is similar my mom’s age . My mom is 78. 

I was reading through the last page of posts and noticed our moms seem similar in age and personality. I agree, it's hard for them to let go. I was the baby of the family and was always close to her. I'm sure some part of her is always going to see me as her little pumpkin, no matter how old I am. 

They may drive you crazy, but you love them anyway. Family is family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

I was reading through the last page of posts and noticed our moms seem similar in age and personality. I agree, it's hard for them to let go. I was the baby of the family and was always close to her. I'm sure some part of her is always going to see me as her little pumpkin, no matter how old I am. 

They may drive you crazy, but you love them anyway. Family is family.

This is true. 

I am the oldest. I have a full biological brother I was raised with that is 3.5 years younger and I have 3 step siblings. The youngest is 11 years younger than me . My son is almost 27 but he is Autistic and lives with us . My brother has 3 daughters and my one step brother has no kids. My other step brother has 3 kids and my step sister has 7 kids. My mom also has 3 great grandsons. Everyone is in the very South of our province though except us . As the oldest I am meant to tow the family line and be the shinning example . But I am rebellious more than she likes. 

My mom is the eldest sibling as well and so was my dad. My step dad was the family baby. 

I have been super worried and have terrible anxiety that my mom won’t get better . It has been almost 5 weeks she has been coughing. I mean really really bad. A week ago I took her to the hospital and she finishes her antibiotics today. She has shown improvement but not enough in my estimation. I will give it a few more days and then I am taking her back . 

• Like 1

I saw my MIL and SIL yesterday. They were up seeing my MIL’s sister and the her kids . ( my husband’s aunt and cousins) My son and I had lunch with them . My mom was too sick for them to come over . For almost 90 my MIL looks really well. She hasn’t gone frail like so many do. You can tell her short term memory is fading though . When she forgets what she is saying or words or whatever she just laughs and says , “ oh silly Nanny, never mind. “

My son’s allergies have been horrible this summer. Presently he has one eye that is swollen shut and dripping . I got antibiotic drops and his allergy meds yesterday. Poor kiddo. Rag weed is horrible here and he has a super bad allergy to it. He gets that from his dad. Both of them their eyes swell shut with rag weed. My one eye is weeping like crazy. So I think it is time to double up on the allergy meds . 

My husband was base duty officer this weekend and now he has gone to sleep . Parents of cadets kept him up all weekend worrying “ about poor little Johnny.” He took a lot of those calls and one parent hysterical about a minor ailment with their child which had him dragged out to the cadet camp to get first hand knowledge of said ailment and call the parent back. Now as a parent we both know the angst but a bit excessive if your child is old enough for cadets and you have let them go for the summer please take a Xanax and breathe. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Hope your son and mother both feel better.

Thank you . My mom is a lot better this morning and the swelling in my son’s eye is almost gone and my husband comes to visit this weekend . So it is good . 

• Thanks 1

Hubby got home last night . It was nice to be able to sleep like a baby. I just sleep like a baby when he is here. 

My mom is getting a lot better . We are all still coughing a bit though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Hubby got home last night . It was nice to be able to sleep like a baby. I just sleep like a baby when he is here. 

My mom is getting a lot better . We are all still coughing a bit though. 

🩷 good news 😊

• Like 1

We are all hacking something terrible . Even my husband. We all have inhalers now . Today I hacked so hard about three times that I actually puked.
my mom and I have them anyway because we are asthmatic. But the whole family has inhalers now because whatever this hack is that’s going around hangs on for weeks and weeks apparently. 

• Sad 1

Omg STILL hacking. I was up all night hacking . 

More commentary about my mom. When my husband was here last she was making comments about my marriage again. “ You need to talk to him more or he will find other women to talk to . “ 🤯🤯Whaaaa. My husband isn’t a big talker to begin with . And I should be doing everything with him that he is doing . Etc etc etc … So I go to my husband and tell him everything and he says , “what the af….. okay Miss Married 3 times . “ to me in reference to her . He says she needs to stop projecting her issues. We don’t have any problems . 

• Sad 1

She is always a mess about men possibly cheating she has been on me about it since before I got married . Hello mom you stayed with a man who cheated about 200 times. That is on you and my husband isn’t my father . Yea thanks . 

• Sad 2

On 8/15/2024 at 7:40 AM, Seraphim said:

She is always a mess about men possibly cheating she has been on me about it since before I got married . Hello mom you stayed with a man who cheated about 200 times. That is on you and my husband isn’t my father . Yea thanks . 

The amount of prjoection people do is staggering.

My friends mom has actually advised him to not get married despite him being married for nearing thirty years. 

If you want to look on the bright side, she's trying to help you from making her mistakes. Think she means well. Though it would probably be better if she minded her own business and let you take care of your own marriage, which doesn't need the help to begin with.

4 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

The amount of prjoection people do is staggering.

My friends mom has actually advised him to not get married despite him being married for nearing thirty years. 

If you want to look on the bright side, she's trying to help you from making her mistakes. Think she means well. Though it would probably be better if she minded her own business and let you take care of your own marriage, which doesn't need the help to begin with.

For sure . We have been together 35 years and married for 30. You would think she would get we have it figured out . But nope …. Mom to the rescue …

Absolutely she feels she is helping but throwing aspersions and burning suspect into someone’s marriage isn’t a good thing . Her mother helped destroy her second marriage so subconsciously she wants to destroy her daughter’s? People make no sense .