Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

At what age would you like to retire?

Seraphim

I plan to "retire" at about age 58 from my current profession. The business I'm in is very young and I'm in my early-mid 50s. I still plan to work but just do a couple of part-time gigs. Probably deliveries and maybe a bit of Uber or Lyft. Also maybe work in a hotel gift shop or as a tour guide. Minimum wage but I like meeting people. And have enough time to volunteer at the local neighborhood farm feeding and caring for the animals.

I can't imagine myself sitting at home while I'm still somewhat mobile.

I'd like to purchase an RV so I can see the country, which is why working part-time after retirement appeals to me. I can have some travel money.

Fortunately the company I work for has a very generous and lucrative stock plan, so while I don't have a 401(k) I do own a decent amount of shares. Income for my future!

I plan to "retire" at about age 58 from my current profession. The business I'm in is very young and I'm in my early-mid 50s. I still plan to work but just do a couple of part-time gigs. Probably deliveries and maybe a bit of Uber or Lyft. Also maybe work in a hotel gift shop or as a tour guide. Minimum wage but I like meeting people. And have enough time to volunteer at the local neighborhood farm feeding and caring for the animals.

I can't imagine myself sitting at home while I'm still somewhat mobile.

I'd like to purchase an RV so I can see the country, which is why working part-time after retirement appeals to me. I can have some travel money.

Fortunately the company I work for has a very generous and lucrative stock plan, so while I don't have a 401(k) I do own a decent amount of shares. Income for my future!

We are lucky as well as we have RRSP’s and my husband will have his military pension and we will have Canada pension and old age pension.

Unfortunately in the US, social security is either already gone or it will be soon. So no way to count on that. I CAN count on myself, however, as long as my health holds out. I have several medical conditions that, while not completely debilitating, do affect my ability to perform physical work and cause profound fatigue. If my darned body holds out I feel I can work well into my 70s!

Well, Canada pension and old age are paid by our contributions off the income we make today.

That allegedly is true in the US as well. However, the US government in its infinite wisdom has "borrowed" from the social security fund and therefore it's either completely empty or almost is, because the "loans" have not been paid back.

That's one of the reasons I fear not working. If there's no money left in social security from all the years I've been paying in, I better have a Plan B.

Archived