Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

World cup 2018!!!

BecxyRex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks j.man! I'll look into this. Yeah, I'm fairly certain we're out, unless a miracle happens. In that case, I'll ... actually South Korea just scored. So, looks like I'll be cheering on Mexico, since I'm in Texas and have lots of Mexican friends.

For now, I hope work has some whiskey stashed away somewhere that I can put into my coffee to cope with this disaster.

Australia impressed me during their game against France. Thought that was going to be a romping.

I'm still laughing about Neuer, though. Not the guy's fault they lost but Jesus, guy. Talk about giving the internet a gift. Come up and play winger if you want but don't disrespect the South Korean player in front of you by thinking you can successfully take him on instead of passing it. Deserves every bit of the humiliation.

I had missed the part of him leaving the goal and when I glanced back at the screen he was gone! I actually did a double take. What a ridiculous risk to take. I was surprised, because he's such a solid goalie otherwise.

Yeah, I didn't blame him too much for coming up. Kinda silly to do it during open play rather than off a corner or free kick, but they needed two goals in something like three minutes. But why he thought he, as GK who's largely been on the bench all season, could dribble right past folks on the field is beyond me. Would have been less embarrassing if anyone other than him had lost the ball there. He's always been a bit smug so I'm a bit biased in my enjoyment of seeing egg on his face.

At the end of the day, though, you're right that he's been quite good this tournament and even in that game. Despite his memeability, it was a crap performance by the rest of the team. I nearly took to day drinking today after seeing Gomez miss that header.

Very questionable and quite risky bringing pretty much name-for-name the exact same squad as 2014 with the exception of those who made up one of the best back-to-front trios I've ever seen Lahm, Klose, and Schweinsteiger (respectively). No way Werner was gonna carry that goal scoring load. Still, even if I don't support them, it always hits the heart a little bit when a team like Germany doesn't even make to knockouts.

Mexico can be our little common interest, though. :) Brazil vs. Mexico is going to be an amazing game to watch. With Marcelo injured, Mexico's counter attacks are going to be a huge issue, I think.

Completely agree and I bet he knew he made himself look foolish. "Despite his memeability" made me laugh pretty hard. But seriously, I'm not sure I heard the announcer right (had one headphone in while working on the other screen), but did he actually say that Hummels face was in the way of the ball accidentally? Because that would be absolutely hilarious.

I know! They left the strongest people out. Always loved Schweini's performance, but what throws me is that the newly assembled team still does really well nationally in the Bundesliga. I wonder if it's a case of "we won last time so no big deal", but I have a hard time believing that with that coach up their rears. Disappointing but there's always 2022. I think I might splurge on a ticket if it's indeed happening in the States.

I know too little about the Mexican team, but I'm looking forward to getting more acquainted! Definitely viva Mexico (forgive me for probably butchering it).

I had missed the part of him leaving the goal and when I glanced back at the screen he was gone! I actually did a double take. What a ridiculous risk to take. I was surprised, because he's such a solid goalie otherwise.

Has anyone figured out where he disappeared to? Wow, talk about making it an easy goal .... just leave your post and let them kick the ball in, lol. Me thinks he should be fired.

Hi Capricorn3, as far as I understand he saw time running out and decided to help out his team mates. Unfortunately, he ended up looking rather foolish for abandoning the goal. It was desperate and not very well thought out :-/

Thanks Anya! Still an interesting event to watch for me and I'm now rooting for Mexico so cross all your fingers :)

Going forward is fine. Trying to take players on when you're an out of form GK coming off a season long injury is something you deserve the internet laughing at you for. The result clearly wasn't helpful even if the situation likely couldn't have been helped.

Germany deserves to be laughed off the internet for finding themselves in a situation where they were so desperate that they needed to do that.

My understanding is that anything besides a win was not good enough for Germany. A 1-0 defeat is just as bad as 2-0 defeat. They were staring down the barrel of being knocked out and had to go for it. The goalie got caught out and is going to look silly in any situation like that which results in a goal.

Funny but to try and place blame on him for getting knocked out, or make the game about that particular moment, is a little short sighted in my opinion.

Germany deserves to be laughed off the internet for finding themselves in a situation where they were so desperate that they needed to do that.

My understanding is that anything besides a win was not good enough for Germany. A 1-0 defeat is just as bad as 2-0 defeat. They were staring down the barrel of being knocked out and had to go for it. The goalie got caught out and is going to look silly in any situation like that which results in a goal.

Funny but to try and place blame on him for getting knocked out, or make the game about that particular moment, is a little short sighted in my opinion.

I agree the loss definitely wasn't on him. The squad was doomed bringing in the Old Guard despite Lahm, Klose, and Schweinsteiger having retired. Those three were instrumental in taking what made tiki taka so good in letting short and accurate passes do the work of opening up spaces while incorporating a very dangerous and efficient directness from back to front. As a fan of Spain (unless I've got to throw my obligatory support behind the US), it was quite honestly the most dangerous soccer I've seen at a team level. The goals absolutely poured in. Without the physicality and creativity, they looked just like Spain in 2014 out there. All that possession just to get destroyed on a counter.

Neuer played pretty well. IMO shouldn't have been starting after just having come off a season long injury, but it's not what made the difference by any means. Still, come forward deep in open play, take the position away from an actual winger, and disrespect your opponent by thinking you of all people are going to beat them 1 on 1 when you've got plenty of options to pass to, and you're gonna have egg all over your face regardless of the game's situation. I think the incident itself was hilarious. I don't blame him for the loss, though. That team wasn't going to score 2 goals in 3ish minutes. I do give him credit though for summing up in about 10 seconds pretty much the entire 270 minutes of his team's performance in the tournament.

But regarding Lozano, if you guys can manage to snatch him up, he'd be an amazing acquisition. He's the guy who scored a pretty good winner over Germany their first game. IMO, 10x more dangerous than Chicarito has been this tournament. I think you'll have a lot of competition trying to sign him after this tournament, though. Hope you plan on watching the Mexico - Brazil game. IMO will be the best game of the Round of 16. Lot of people are looking forward to France - Argentina, but as much as I'm rooting for Messi, I think he and the boys are gonna get rolled over hard. Hoping for the best but will have the tissues ready.

Championship hangover. Sports is 90% mental. Germany just simply didn't have the desire to win.

The last three fifa world cup champions failed to survive group stage.

2018 Germany

2014- Spain

2010 Italy

Big Messi fan, so hoping they beat France, but I have to try real hard to imagine anything other than France completely spanking them. Honestly, I don't see Portugal beating Uruguay, either, though it'd be a more even match. Think we'll be relatively lucky to see either Cristiano or Messi go through to quarters.

Lotta big names stacked up on that left side. Don't blame Belgium or England for not being in any hurry to win that game yesterday. Watching out for Croatia or Spain to come out on top of the other bracket.

Called it lol.

The better teams won. France's Kylian Mbappé is something special and is only 19. All that speed and talent is fun to watch.

Spain vs Russia and Croatia vs Denmark endings were great..

Yeah man. Both Messi and Spain getting eliminated made it a tough weekend. If Mexico gets eliminated here, all three of my Top 3 will be gone in 3 days, so that'd suck. Russia parked the bus, but you can't blame them for not wanting to play football against Spain. Spain's fault for leaving an in-form Morata at home and fielding like 8 midfielders. Also not sure why Costa was subbed out. Went back to the same wasteful possession as 2014.

Absolutely crazy tournament, and a very big wake-up call to a lot of these bigger teams that systems matter more than names. I can definitely see them dumping a whole lot more money into their youth development after this debacle.

I've maintained since the beginning that if France doesn't take it, it'll be the year of the dark horse, most likely Belgium, but I have no idea at this point. Croatia was my guess to make it to the finals on that side, but after their pretty poor performance and having to play an extra 30 minutes (will definitely impact their fitness going forward), we could very likely see a much smaller minnow make history reaching the final.

Very bummed about my teams, but this is definitely most interesting World Cup I've seen in my life just in terms of sheer competition.

Yeah man. Both Messi and Spain getting eliminated made it a tough weekend. If Mexico gets eliminated here, all three of my Top 3 will be gone in 3 days, so that'd suck. Russia parked the bus, but you can't blame them for not wanting to play football against Spain. Spain's fault for leaving an in-form Morata at home and fielding like 8 midfielders. Also not sure why Costa was subbed out. Went back to the same wasteful possession as 2014.

Absolutely crazy tournament, and a very big wake-up call to a lot of these bigger teams that systems matter more than names. I can definitely see them dumping a whole lot more money into their youth development after this debacle.

I've maintained since the beginning that if France doesn't take it, it'll be the year of the dark horse, most likely Belgium, but I have no idea at this point. Croatia was my guess to make it to the finals on that side, but after their pretty poor performance and having to play an extra 30 minutes (will definitely impact their fitness going forward), we could very likely see a much smaller minnow make history reaching the final.

Very bummed about my teams, but this is definitely most interesting World Cup I've seen in my life just in terms of sheer competition.

The winner of Belgium vs Brazil will win it all. Unless Belgium lays an egg against Japan in the next match.

Archived