Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Which Charity?

Rhombus

Hi,

I'm looking to do some fundraising and just wanted some strangers thoughts...

I've got a personal challenge coming up and had the idea of raising some money for charity, but I'm torn between two.

I've recently had a number of people I know be affected by cancer so I'm thinking of one of the cancer research organisations. Alternately I'd like to advocate equality, especially in the gender debate field, so there is a women's rights organisation I'd like to help too.

A big ask I know as both have their virtues, but opinion wise, which would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

R

Neither.

Only pennies from each dollar actually go on to help anyone.

The majority of the money will go into marketing/owner(s)/organizers pockets, which many times is used for hidden objectives.

Instead, volunteer at your local hospital/nursing home/extended care facility etc.

Give your time, not money, to a relative, friend, neighbor etc.

Agree. Volunteer and put some real skin in the game that they can really need and use. Writing a check is easy. It doesn't matter the cause what matters is your contribution. Find a cause that means something to you personally, not one that's trendy or politically correct to impress anyone. Do it with your heart and soul.

If it's cancer that's touched you personally, maybe organize a group to go to a children's hospital and hang with the kids during chemo? Or maybe raise money to pay for a local superstar to visit them? (a local NFL star, e.g.). Something that will lift their spirits, maybe raise money to bring them gifts and toys?

Archived