Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Is Anyone Else Watching The Royal Wedding?

katrina1980

Wow I'm impressed S, my head is now on overload with all things British!

I still have questions, but will either save for later (meeting boyfriend in a few) or do my own additional research.

I find all this quite fascinating!

Thanks again!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow I'm impressed S, my head is now on overload with all things British!

I still have questions, but will either save for later (meeting boyfriend in a few) or do my own research.

I find all this quite fascinating!

Thanks again!

No problem. My husband’s parents are English and so were my dad’s parents. We are taught British history at school or at least we were when I went to school . Plus I have an honours BA in History. And my husband is amazing with history facts . He has BA in history as well.

No problem. My husband’s parents are English and so were my dad’s parents. We are taught British history at school or at least we were when I went to school . Plus I have an honours BA in History. And my husband is amazing with history facts . He has BA in history as well.

I was taught in school too (European history generally) but don't remember this.

Not all the way anyway, in such depth.

Was actually more interested in American history at the time, no offense to the British!

I actually love British people, visited a few times, hope to again, probably in a couple years, I was just over there last summer.

I would love to go one day. My husband has been many times.

I have a friend who lives there and stay with her.

I have a cousin in France and visit her too, in fact I may move there (southern France) later this year or next, she's been nearly begging me to live there, stay with her since her husband passed (long battle with cancer).

I am seriously considering it!

I have a friend who lives there and stay with her.

I have a cousin in France and visit her too, in fact I may move there (southern France) later this year or next, she's been nearly begging me to live there, stay with her since her husband passed (long battle with cancer).

I am seriously considering it!

Most of my husband’s family is still in England. All of his father’s family except his father is in England . All his aunts and his uncles ( those that are still alive)and his cousins still live there except for one who immigrated to Australia because his wife is Australian . My husband‘s father is from London and his mother is from Kent . My grandfather was from Liverpool. And my father‘s mother‘s family was from Manchester .

My mother’s family is French-Canadian and has been in Canada for 400 years .

I thought The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles her Father-in -Law walked her down the isle? My husband is just watching it.

The last royal wedding I got up to watch was Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Meghan walked the first part of the trip down the aisle by herself and Prince Charles then met her and she took his arm for the rest of the walk.

I didn't like her dress. Too plain, and ill-fitting. It looked to me like she's been probably starving herself to look great, but it hung all over in strange places. And it cost over $200,000 (British pounds). Wow. Loved the veil though.

I thought it odd that Harry invited all of his ex-girlfriends, Chelsy and Cressida, and Joss Stone, who was a rumored love interest. Especially since Chelsy is often thought of his "one that got away", who broke up with him because she eschewed the royal lifestyle/magnifying glass. Rumors have always been that he's still in love with her. Meghan is a stronger woman than I would be, lol.

Megan hardly invited anyone. She had that one best friend with the 2 adorable little boys who carried her train, she had her castmates from that t.v. show that I've never seen, and that seemed like it. I do feel bad for all her family drama. I can't imagine my father not attending my wedding, even a small private ceremony to someone unknown. But to miss his daughter's royal wedding, wow. Yeah, I get it, he had heart issues, but he was saying he was missing it before the health issues came up. He's now claiming that the stress of it all is what caused the heart issues. Whatever, dude, be at your daughter's wedding.

I didn't like her dress. Too plain, and ill-fitting. It looked to me like she's been probably starving herself to look great, but it hung all over in strange places. And it cost over $200,000 (British pounds). Wow. Loved the veil though.

I thought it odd that Harry invited all of his ex-girlfriends, Chelsy and Cressida, and Joss Stone, who was a rumored love interest. Especially since Chelsy is often thought of his "one that got away", who broke up with him because she eschewed the royal lifestyle/magnifying glass. Rumors have always been that he's still in love with her. Meghan is a stronger woman than I would be, lol.

Megan hardly invited anyone. She had that one best friend with the 2 adorable little boys who carried her train, she had her castmates from that t.v. show that I've never seen, and that seemed like it. I do feel bad for all her family drama. I can't imagine my father not attending my wedding, even a small private ceremony to someone unknown. But to miss his daughter's royal wedding, wow. Yeah, I get it, he had heart issues, but he was saying he was missing it before the health issues came up. He's now claiming that the stress of it all is what caused the heart issues. Whatever, dude, be at your daughter's wedding.

I didn’t like the dress either but I didn’t like Diana’s either.

The unknown cast member is the son of a former Canadian Prime Minister ;)and his two grandsons were pages.

I didn’t like the dress either but I didn’t like Diana’s either.

The unknown cast member is the son of a former Canadian Prime Minister ;)and his two grandsons were pages.

Oh, I didn't know this!

I didn't like Diana's either. Then again, I didn't love Kate's, but I thought of the 3, it was the best.

I didn't watch the Charles/Diana wedding. I was 24 and I thought all things British and Royal were stupid. Yeah, I said it...stupid. My mother was so into it, she bought Charles & Diana everything....cookie tins, dishtowels, etc.

As their wedding went on, and the cracks started to show, I became more interested, and once I really understood the monarchy, I started to so much enjoy the extremely rich history and tradition.

I recorded Will & Kate's wedding and watched for 5 hours straight, and like a football game, didn't want to see any news until I had seen it all myself. I was so enthralled in it all by then.

Like many people, I remember exactly where I was when I heard Di had passed. I was at my parent's home, sharing a bedroom with my then-8 year-old niece who, when I woke up, simply said to me "The Princess died". She is now almost 30, and she, too, remembers this.

They are just normal people, trying to go through normal relationship struggles, life struggles, and trying to make things work in their world. Princess Di made it all seem so much more....human.

If Charles is happy with Camilla (which he appears to be), then so be it. But I hate what insecurities their not-so-secret goings-on brought out in young Di.

Oh, I didn't know this!

I didn't like Diana's either. Then again, I didn't love Kate's, but I thought of the 3, it was the best.

I didn't watch the Charles/Diana wedding. I was 24 and I thought all things British and Royal were stupid. Yeah, I said it...stupid. My mother was so into it, she bought Charles & Diana everything....cookie tins, dishtowels, etc.

As their wedding went on, and the cracks started to show, I became more interested, and once I really understood the monarchy, I started to so much enjoy the extremely rich history and tradition.

I recorded Will & Kate's wedding and watched for 5 hours straight, and like a football game, didn't want to see any news until I had seen it all myself. I was so enthralled in it all by then.

Like many people, I remember exactly where I was when I heard Di had passed. I was at my parent's home, sharing a bedroom with my then-8 year-old niece who, when I woke up, simply said to me "The Princess died". She is now almost 30, and she, too, remembers this.

They are just normal people, trying to go through normal relationship struggles, life struggles, and trying to make things work in their world. Princess Di made it all seem so much more....human.

If Charles is happy with Camilla (which he appears to be), then so be it. But I hate what insecurities their not-so-secret goings-on brought out in young Di.

I remember her death too. :( I was 8 months pregnant with my son sitting up watching TV because sleep was impossible.

I loved Meghan's dress, yes it was understated, she meant it to be, that's her style.

I can relate, I can't stand clothes that are lacy, frilly, loud, and over-stated. I thought she looked absolutely stunning!

I REALLY loved the Stella McCartney she wore later at the reception!!

She obviously couldn't wear *that* at her wedding, but I would! Very much my style, understated also but classic and sexy!

A la Carolyn Bissette Kennedy's wedding dress, which I read inspired it.

No she didn't starve herself before wedding, she has always been very thin.

She is extremely health conscious, lots of greens, fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins.

Apparently there was a movie made about them, aired on Lifetime last night.

Missed it!! Darn would have loved to see it, hopefully they will re-air at some point.

@Seraphin, wearing white even though divorced is considered acceptable now, at least that is my understanding.

That rule has become outdated from what I've read.

I dunno I still consider wear white past a first wedding kind of tacky, for anybody, not just her. At my mom’s second wedding she wore beige with a flowered print and at her third she wore purple. Even at my convalidation I did not wear white but hot pink.

I thought stark white was a bit odd, considering the amount of tradition involved. Then again, Harry is the first royal in many generations to wear a beard, although reportedly, he got permission from his grandmother The Queen. I'm sure they ran the white dress past HRH as well.

I don't know if she starved herself or not, lol. I just know that it was ill-fitting. It had the look that perhaps she had her final fitting a week before, and then maybe lost some weight right before the wedding. I just don't have any other explanation for such an ill fit. The darting stuck out in odd places, and it was too loose in some places, fit well in others. I like the boatneck and A-line, but did not like that it was simply so plain. Perhaps if it fit better, I'd have liked it more. I feel like, on your wedding day, your dress should fit precisely, and hers did not.

I absolutely loved the Stella McCartney she changed into. That was solid, with no embellishments, but that particular dress did not call for any. It fit her and hung better on her than the one she was married in.

I didn't love Kate's dress, but it fit her absolutely perfectly, and it helped her look like an incoming royal.

I noticed Meghan didn't wear lipstick, as her lips looked dry and chapped. Her makeup was just....off. Like, she did minimal makeup for a girls night out, rather than her own royal wedding.

On a note of fit, Oprah looked ridiculous. Hat was way too big, and dress was way too tight. Looked like she bought it in a cheap costume shop.

It's so interesting the difference of opinions! lol

I didn't see her lips being cracked and dry at all, and she *was* wearing lipstick, a clear pink gloss which I thought looked great against her dark skin.

I didn't see her dress being ill-fitted either, I highly doubt her stylist would have allowed her to attend her own royal wedding in an ill-fitted dress! Same with her designer, Clare Waight Keller, from Givenchy.

It wasn't tight fitting, you are right, it wasn't meant to be.

Her eye makeup, yes understated also but worked!

Again, I thought she looked stunning! Simple but stunning, she's a beautiful girl and didn't need much.

I also thought Amal Clooney looked stunning!

We're all entitled to our different opinions though, so not knocking yours, again just find it interesting how two people can be looking at the same thing and see it so differently! :D

I did think Harry looked amazing. I'm not a fan of facial hair, but I loved that he stayed true to himself and kept his beard, and had it trimmed perfectly. I also loved that he ran it by HRH first, respecting protocol and respecting his grandmother's wishes.

His uniform was perfection, and I absolutely adored how, seeing how nervous he was, he kept his composure while allowing his emotions to shine through.

He's no longer the little ginger-haired brother. He's a good-looking man with a lot of military and charitable accomplishments behind him. He's a gem.

I did think Harry looked amazing. I'm not a fan of facial hair, but I loved that he stayed true to himself and kept his beard, and had it trimmed perfectly. I also loved that he ran it by HRH first, respecting protocol and respecting his grandmother's wishes.

His uniform was perfection, and I absolutely adored how, seeing how nervous he was, he kept his composure while allowing his emotions to shine through.

He's no longer the little ginger-haired brother. He's a good-looking man with a lot of military and charitable accomplishments behind him. He's a gem.

OMG we agree!!

I always thought he was pretty hot though, never mind his royal status, he's just got that "something" (rugged, sexy!) -- way more than his brother William whom I will refrain from commenting on!

In fact I still wonder if Prince Phillip is his biological father and not James Hewitt (whom Diana had an affair with and Harry resembles).

Shame on me for thinking this terrible thought!

Archived