Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Birthday present for a 1 year old

Capttrae

One of my duck hunting buddies daughter is turning 1 on May 19. Last year one of the guys got her a little pink duck call and I got her a plush mallard duck. Not sure what to get her this year. Any help would be appreciated

I have 2 daughters, it was very easy to buy for them when they were so little! A quick trip to your local Target (or equivalent) and the toy aisle, and you're good. A couple of ideas, a cute plushie/stuffed toy of Elsa (Disney's Frozen) or Moana, or a cute fuzzy blanket in the same theme, or check out the cute electronic toys. For our work toy drive at Christmas, we had a 1 year old in our community on the list and I found this cute toy (has batteries) that the baby can walk around with, it makes cute sounds, helps them learn colors/shapes and textures. I tried to find a link online, but don't know what to google - _ - It was super cute though. Very soft and I imagined the 1 year old just carrying it everywhere, as a 'lovie'. Honestly, at that age, they would love anything! So thoughtful of you to buy her a gift. Good luck shopping!

She won't remember what she got for her first birthday. Find out what the parents actually need - they could actually need diapers, babygate now that she is toddling etc.. Kids get way too many plush animals. I would err on the side of a book (they tend to have a longer life - like a really nice one of nursery rhymes that she won't read now but will later) and small gift card to a nice local mom and pop toystore to pick out something that she would use and doesn't have. or just the book. heck, i don't keep too many old books but i still have a similar book i got when i was that age. The type of fisher price toy that can convert from a ride on to something they can walk behind and push like a cart is a good one if she is standing but not walking on her own. I don't think they are that expensive.

A book or two is great - some great board book titles are: Jamberry, by Bruce Degen; Sheep in a Jeep, by Nancy Shaw; Have you Seen My Duck?, by Nancy Tafuri

Or- 1 year Olds love to put things into buckets, so a shape sorter is a great idea. She may not be able to do the shapes yet, but with the lid off, she can plunk those blocks in and dump them out to do it again. (Fisher Price had something like that - yellow bucket with a blue lid, and different shaped blocks).

A book or two is great - some great board book titles are: Jamberry, by Bruce Degen; Sheep in a Jeep, by Nancy Shaw; Have you Seen My Duck?, by Nancy Tafuri

Or- 1 year Olds love to put things into buckets, so a shape sorter is a great idea. She may not be able to do the shapes yet, but with the lid off, she can plunk those blocks in and dump them out to do it again. (Fisher Price had something like that - yellow bucket with a blue lid, and different shaped blocks).

I was thinking along the same lines as these^. Or a giant cardboard box with doors and windows cut out.

Archived