Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

How to make people leave me alone

xor90

I'm a freshman in college and needed a good place to study coursework, so I decided to check out the math tutoring room. One thing to know about me is that I'm introverted practically to the point of being asocial -- I used to study in the library, but people were constantly interrupting me and having to repeat the "I have a boyfriend, please leave me alone" line everyday is really tiring, so I avoid the library now. The math room is small and quiet, a great atmosphere for study since there only a dozen or so people in it at a time. The tutors are great, they're extremely professional. They won't bother you unless you bother them with a question first. Except one senior tutor/professor in his mid 50's. He sat next to me and said "Oh wow, semantic security, huh?" but I had my headphones in while listening to my video lectures, so I had an excuse to ignore him. Today I went back, and this same professor is there again. He interrupts me constantly within the span of only one hour, constantly making me to remove my earbuds so I could listen to him, while I'm clearly trying to complete an assignment, make incessant and trivial comments. Comments not even based on the graduate level material I was studying. About my appearance. Did I know I looked like Lucy Liu? Look, here's a picture of her on Google. Did I know that she's in the Charlie's Angel's films? Look, here's more pictures of her on Google. I must drive a nice car. Do I enjoy drinking wine? At this point a student approaches the guy with an algebra question while I'm slowing packing my backpack to leave. The first thing he says to the kid before he sits down is that he's getting off of work soon, and obviously this is aimed at me. I feel really uncomfortable and creeped out about the whole thing. How do I make people just stop and leave me alone?

Unfortunately, if you are an attractive young woman, there's no escaping the attention that you'll be receiving. Don't engage in conversation with creepy strangers! Definitely don't let old men sit down besides you and show you Google images of Lucy Liu!! Either ignore them completely or give them the nonchalant "yep, you're a loser" glance and turn away. You do not have to be cordial towards these men in any way; in no way are you obligated to answer their questions or even acknowledge their existence.

I'm a freshman in college and needed a good place to study coursework, so I decided to check out the math tutoring room. One thing to know about me is that I'm introverted practically to the point of being asocial -- I used to study in the library, but people were constantly interrupting me and having to repeat the "I have a boyfriend, please leave me alone" line everyday is really tiring, so I avoid the library now. The math room is small and quiet, a great atmosphere for study since there only a dozen or so people in it at a time. The tutors are great, they're extremely professional. They won't bother you unless you bother them with a question first. Except one senior tutor/professor in his mid 50's. He sat next to me and said "Oh wow, semantic security, huh?" but I had my headphones in while listening to my video lectures, so I had an excuse to ignore him. Today I went back, and this same professor is there again. He interrupts me constantly within the span of only one hour, constantly making me to remove my earbuds so I could listen to him, while I'm clearly trying to complete an assignment, make incessant and trivial comments. Comments not even based on the graduate level material I was studying. About my appearance. Did I know I looked like Lucy Liu? Look, here's a picture of her on Google. Did I know that she's in the Charlie's Angel's films? Look, here's more pictures of her on Google. I must drive a nice car. Do I enjoy drinking wine? At this point a student approaches the guy with an algebra question while I'm slowing packing my backpack to leave. The first thing he says to the kid before he sits down is that he's getting off of work soon, and obviously this is aimed at me. I feel really uncomfortable and creeped out about the whole thing. How do I make people just stop and leave me alone?

You have no choice but attack this problem straight forward.

Go to the library and study. Ignore anybody that comes talking to you. They will get the hint. If somebody wants to talk with you. Please I'm busy. Thank you.

Good luck.

Don't look at him and don't take out your earbuds and make the "Shhhhh!" sign (finger over lips)

Don't look at him and don't take out your earbuds and make the "zip it" sign, (zipping mouth)

Don't look at him and don't take out your earbuds, and shake your head and keep studying.

Tell him "I'm studying and don't want to talk."

Or say "Please leave me alone, I'm studying."

Communicate that you want to be left alone, either with body language or your words.

Archived