Should he be telling me

My ex (of 26 years) and I are amicable for my daughter he told me 2 weeks ago he had a gf I told him I was happy for him, that it was way to early for me to even think about someone new, 23 weeks, and that I hoped it worked out for him, I was crushed inside and have struggled, I couldn't understand why he replaced our 26years together so quickly, I became obsessed in searching social media for her as he had told me a few details then tonight he comes to pick up our daughter and tells me he has been spending time with gf and how they have been kissing but nothing else yet, how crazy they are about each other and how happy he is, and he does look happier than I have seen him in a very long time, it has helped me in one way I have accepted finally that his life is nothing to do with me anymore and I have to let go of the having to know who, where, why of it and that has given me peace... but should he really be telling ME this yeah I have felt better, calmer and more confident that my future is bright I can focus on me and what I need to do to make a happy life but what if tomorrow or the next day or whenever those words start ringing in my head and I become consumed in the weird jealousy I have been experiencing and HATE myself for I just want to move on and make myself strong

That's just his coping method, it doesn't mean much. Clearly you must realize it's a rebound fling to fill a void. Ask him to spare you the details, and change the subject. It's fine he informed you because your daughter goes there and may meet her. This whole thing has nothing to do with you or your marriage. He's going through a post-divorced phase.

My ex (of 26 years) and I are amicable for my daughter he told me 2 weeks ago he had a gf . he comes to pick up our daughter

Don't feel bad. It's going to take a long time to heal from such a long relationship. He's just on the rebound, and stroking his own ego by telling you about it. Just let him know you two aren't friends. When you talk, it needs to only be about your kid and nothing else. He should have enough decency and respect for you to understand that you need time to heal. You owe your daughter an amicable co-parenting relationship with him, that does not mean you owe him friendship.

I'd tell him nicely that his dating life is his own business, and I'm not the right person for any more disclosures. I trust that he'll keep his dating life away from our daughter, and I'd appreciate not hearing anything else about it.

Archived