Open Club  ·  35 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Virginia towns

Dealbreaker

If you are interested in history there is a lot to do in those cities.

Richmond

Confederate White House

Hollywood Cemetery

Edgar Allen Poe Museum

St. John's Church(place where Patrick Henry gave, "Give me Liberty or give me Death" speech)

Charlottesville

Monticello(Thomas Jefferson's home)

Just Google those places and you will find a lot to do.

Lots of history in both places.

From experience:

Charlottesville has more of a small-town vibe. Very scenic. The UVA campus is pretty nice.

Richmond is more urban, a lot bigger (but not too big) and has a pretty diverse culture; one of top tattooed cities in the US and has a lot of breweries. The James River is a popular place to go which runs through the city.

I lived in Richmond for ten years (southside). Really depends on what you're into, but there's something for everyone. If you like the outdoors, you can head to the canal walk down by 5th St. It's suspended under a bridge and it's quite beautiful. You can kayak the James (if you're experienced). Also we had a ton of great venues for music esp around 18th st. Also a ton of shopping; about 5 large malls in the general area..if you're willing to travel there's a huge motorsports park down 85 a little ways like 40mi south but totally worth it (they've filmed pinks there)..unfortunately some of the museums I used to enjoy have closed down; and it's important to note that a lot of the outdoor places you'd enjoy can get dangerous at night (can't stress that enough) with drug deals going on..even murders. It happens. Stay away from southside as there's a high rate of robbery (it happened to me). If you like amusement parks you can get to king's dominion in like 30 mins and busch gardens is about an hr or so..again, worth the travel.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What caught my attention was the lack of public transport in the area. If you don't have of an own car can't move.

It may be a feature of the United States in general, but I was surprised because in my country all areas are covered by public transport.

Same here lam123.

I was surprised as well to see the lack of public transport in those outlying areas. Over here the public transport is excellent by comparison.

I pressed the matter and enquired why public transport was so lacking. More specifically, I happened to say "wouldn't it be nice to take a train cross country etc.".

Eventually it was admitted that no, I wouldn't like it as only the "lower socio-economic groups" took the train, the implication being that I might not care for the company on board the train.......

Same here lam123.

I was surprised as well to see the lack of public transport in those outlying areas. Over here the public transport is excellent by comparison.

Well…I suppose the lack of transportation is due to economic reasons. Being US a mainly capitalist country, is not a surprise that that happen.

Just most people have their own car and the number of people who could potentially be client is not economically profitable.

Archived