Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

who should pay?

starlight89

We are tenants renting a house. When we moved in I was 7months pregnant. The mattress in our bedroom must be over 10years old. It is so uncomfortable and really hurts my back. I wake up sore and stiff every morning.

I bought a mattress topper but it didn't help. My question is do we have the right to ask the landlord to provide a new mattress? I really cannot afford one right now but I am sick of getting such bad sleep and being in pain every day

Check your lease agreement. Where I live, when you rent a fully furnished place, all furniture and equipment needs to be properly functioning and it is the landlords responsibility to replace malfunctioning items.

I don’t know, when it comes to a mattress, I would prefer to buy one myself, that I can test in a shop and that is good for me. Otherwise the landlord may come with a new cheap mattress and you still can’t sleep properly. But he still may want to cover the cost of a new mattress that you buy yourself.

He could turn it around on you and claim you ruined the mattress from your own use and charge you to replace it, you never know..landlords want their money. I'd just check second hand furniture shops and find a decent but better than what you've got and buy that yourself for maybe under 200.00 depending on size you need, queen or king would cost more obviously.

Archived