Accidentally closed our match....Ugh....

milly007

I realize that I'm the OP here, and therefore my two cents might not hold as much water as everyone else's opinion on this since I was directly involved in this situation, but I'll give it a go anyway. I've looked at his response as objectively as I could from my perspective. If I had to guess, I would say that his response was of someone who felt the sting (so there was a hint of passive aggression there). If he was completely confident and okay with what happened, I can't help but think he wouldn't have bothered texting me at all. He would have just moved on in silence. He responded because he wanted me to know he was okay with moving on (a little sting for me, I guess). I would bet on the fact that he was even wondering whether he should send that text in the first place and if it was the right thing to do. If the roles were reversed, I would have felt the sting as well. But, I either wouldn't have said anything to him, or, provided I was actually interested, I would have asked him if he was still interested in getting to know me.

In all fairness, although I'm disappointed, to a certain extent I can't blame him for his reaction. I messed up a potentially good thing inadvertently. His reaction doesn't come as a major surprise to me. No one wants to be rejected (even though I wasn't rejecting him - he may have took it this way).

Don't get me wrong - my two cents could be completely wrong. This guy is attractive and successful, with tons of other great qualities. There's no doubt in my mind that he was probably chatting with dozens of other women as well who are waiting to date him. Kinda makes it easy to move on when you have tons of other ladies to meet/date.

I don't think you ruined a "good thing" as all you had was a texting buddy. Who knows if he would have actually shown up next week or not. If his accountant canceled, would he have cancelled the meet? The way he was behaving...it seems likely. It seems like you were more of an after thought

One thing I've learned from meeting a few hundred people...is that people portray themselves much differently online and through text than they actually are. They put their best foot forward. So this guy was probably not nearly as awesome as you think he is...because the ones that try to project themselves in the best light are often the ones that are hiding the biggest deception.m

I found the more humble guys...the guys that talked about what they love- the outdoors, or adventures...the guys with the candid shots of themselves that maybe weren't the most flattering...those were the guys that were the gems. They weren't trying to impress anyone. They weren't staged. They were just unapologetically themselves...and those were the guys that were good dating material. Not the ones that seemed to have it all together, and talked about their important jobs, or nice house or whatever. Not the guys with perfect photos. Because meeting in person...they never looked as good as their photos...and idk...I guess, if it seems too good to be true, it is.

So stop beating yourself up over this. There are plenty of fish in the sea. You're a mermaid. Act like it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you ruined a "good thing" as all you had was a texting buddy. Who knows if he would have actually shown up next week or not. If his accountant canceled, would he have cancelled the meet? The way he was behaving...it seems likely. It seems like you were more of an after thought

One thing I've learned from meeting a few hundred people...is that people portray themselves much differently online and through text than they actually are. They put their best foot forward. So this guy was probably not nearly as awesome as you think he is...because the ones that try to project themselves in the best light are often the ones that are hiding the biggest deception.m

I found the more humble guys...the guys that talked about what they love- the outdoors, or adventures...the guys with the candid shots of themselves that maybe weren't the most flattering...those were the guys that were the gems. They weren't trying to impress anyone. They weren't staged. They were just unapologetically themselves...and those were the guys that were good dating material. Not the ones that seemed to have it all together, and talked about their important jobs, or nice house or whatever. Not the guys with perfect photos. Because meeting in person...they never looked as good as their photos...and idk...I guess, if it seems too good to be true, it is.

So stop beating yourself up over this. There are plenty of fish in the sea. You're a mermaid. Act like it.

It's not that I thought this guy was awesome; it's that I was interested in him and he had my interest (which is rare). He didn't brag about his job, finances, car, etc. We had pretty deep conversations on the phone. We talked about life, his parents getting older and him wanting to spend more time with them, wanting to settle down with someone who makes us happy, how life is short and that spending endless hours at the office is just not worth it. Men who brag about their muscles, cars, money and big trips are the complete opposite of what I look for (ew - I don't like these types of men. Find them to be a turn-off). I look for kindness, substance, depth, sense of humour (this is the big one for me), common interests, someone who is communicative/family oriented/and down to earth; someone who I can have deep conversations with about life, etc. His photos weren't perfect. They were cute and half of them were of him being outside, and with his family (no shirtless, "Hi I'm posing with my car" pics). He wasn't the "too good to be true" type; just someone I was interested in getting to know.

I know what you're saying though. I've met a few guys like this. Just looking forward to meeting the next one that comes along.

I should also note that this happened to me a few weeks ago. This guy messaged me online, and we began texting immediately. We were going to meet up right away, but I came down with the flu. I told him that we could meet up once I was feeling better. One week passed, I was still sick, and he closed our match. I wasn't overly keen on this guy, but I was still a bit confused by him closing our match. I didn't say a thing to him. He ended up messaging me a couple of days after he closed it to see if I was interested in meeting and we did meet up. Zero chemistry, unfortunately. But I wasn't overly excited going into our meeting.

Just on this one, I would have taken it as you're not interested in meeting if I were him. People often use excuses like busy or sick or whatever to delay meeting, you may know that you were genuinely sick, but how is a stranger who's never met you before suppose to know that? I think it's quite reasonable that this guy gave you the benefit of the doubt for a week before closing the match and it's really not that confusing at all, since you didn't agree on a meeting day and place after all this time, he take it as you're not interested (assuming he didn't close it by accident). Good to hear you still did meet though, it's worth a shot. But I think you just need to be conscious of how you come across to others when you don't know each other.

Just on this one, I would have taken it as you're not interested in meeting if I were him. People often use excuses like busy or sick or whatever to delay meeting, you may know that you were genuinely sick, but how is a stranger who's never met you before suppose to know that? I think it's quite reasonable that this guy gave you the benefit of the doubt for a week before closing the match and it's really not that confusing at all, since you didn't agree on a meeting day and place after all this time, he take it as you're not interested (assuming he didn't close it by accident). Good to hear you still did meet though, it's worth a shot. But I think you just need to be conscious of how you come across to others when you don't know each other.

Point taken. I didn't think much of it at the time because it was Monday through Friday and we were both working (and sick), but you're right. I really do have to be more mindful and aware of my actions when getting to know someone new.

I remember being bugged because he was a bit pushy or overly eager, but either way, yeah....I have to work on that.

Point taken. I didn't think much of it at the time because it was Monday through Friday and we were both working (and sick), but you're right. I really do have to be more mindful and aware of my actions when getting to know someone new.

Don't beat yourself up. You are smart and learning and all will be fine.

Just wanted to say that I "accidentally" met my SO on a dating app (a pre-Tinder one). I say "accidentally" because I was just bored and thought he was hot, so I added him to a "hot list," not knowing it would notify him. He was just looking for something casual at the time - certainly not a new relationship - and messaged me as a response to my adding him to my hot list (he was literally the only one I'd added).

We hit it off instantly and met in person about three days later and that was it. We became inseparable and it's now almost four years later, and we're incredibly happy and expecting our first baby.

He always jokes that he was looking for sex and found true love instead...LOL.

My point is that a) don't give up and b) I second how important it is to meet as soon as possible if you think there's a possible connection.

"I look for kindness, substance, depth, sense of humour (this is the big one for me), common interests, someone who is communicative/family oriented/and down to earth; someone who I can have deep conversations with about life, etc."

You will find those qualities only once you get to know someone in person over a period of time. The chat buddy/pre-meeting stuff is just "seems" - so is the first meet but at least then you see how you click in person, how he treats the wait staff, other people, etc, what his body language/energy/vibe is like, etc.

As far as your "interest" -sure that's great if you can meet someone who shares it but perhaps consider that others might be interested in acquiring your interest. I never thought, for example that I'd be interested in theatrical lighting design, old Star Trek (well that took decades for me to be interested in), jewelry design, certain theater genres, and similar but I am because I met people who are into that.

Just wanted to say that I "accidentally" met my SO on a dating app (a pre-Tinder one). I say "accidentally" because I was just bored and thought he was hot, so I added him to a "hot list," not knowing it would notify him. He was just looking for something casual at the time - certainly not a new relationship - and messaged me as a response to my adding him to my hot list (he was literally the only one I'd added).

We hit it off instantly and met in person about three days later and that was it. We became inseparable and it's now almost four years later, and we're incredibly happy and expecting our first baby.

He always jokes that he was looking for sex and found true love instead...LOL.

My point is that a) don't give up and b) I second how important it is to meet as soon as possible if you think there's a possible connection.

This is a great story, Heather Dawn. Thanks for sharing! Just goes to show, you never know. Funny how that one click on your computer (i.e. - adding your SO to the 'hot list') changed your life, right? Congrats to you guys on your relationship and the upcoming bundle of joy.

This is a great story, Heather Dawn. Thanks for sharing! Just goes to show, you never know. Funny how that one click on your computer (i.e. - adding your SO to the 'hot list') changed your life, right? Congrats to you guys on your relationship and the upcoming bundle of joy.

Thanks!

And yes, I think of that moment often. I think it was destiny.

"I look for kindness, substance, depth, sense of humour (this is the big one for me), common interests, someone who is communicative/family oriented/and down to earth; someone who I can have deep conversations with about life, etc."

You will find those qualities only once you get to know someone in person over a period of time. The chat buddy/pre-meeting stuff is just "seems" - so is the first meet but at least then you see how you click in person, how he treats the wait staff, other people, etc, what his body language/energy/vibe is like, etc.

As far as your "interest" -sure that's great if you can meet someone who shares it but perhaps consider that others might be interested in acquiring your interest. I never thought, for example that I'd be interested in theatrical lighting design, old Star Trek (well that took decades for me to be interested in), jewelry design, certain theater genres, and similar but I am because I met people who are into that.

I realize that I will find these qualities once I get to know someone, but sometimes we meet/connect with people who we just gravitate towards. At first I was iffy about this guy (mainly because of the age difference and the distance), however I wanted to give it a shot because I loved what he wrote in his profile, how he expressed himself online, his pics and the fact that we were looking for similar things. I need some kind of filter, right? Once we began chatting, I was hooked (but knew in the back of my mind that it might not work out once we met in person). I've found that this initial gut feeling about someone (where I feel giddy) is indicative of, most likely, a positive in-person meeting. Plus, I don't get giddy very often or excited about meeting many people. On the other end of the spectrum, I've chatted with and met men where we had absolutely no connection prior to meeting and the lack of chemistry and connection was affirmed when we met in person. We got along well, yes - but there was absolutely no chemistry and I was bored out of my mind (they probably felt the same way about me). For instance, I just began exchanging text messages with a new guy yesterday. I swear, he doesn't have a sense of humour! I try and liven-up the chat, crack jokes and keep things interesting, but his lack luster/mundane replies make me want to stick a fork in my eye. Where's the witty banter and funny side that I want to see, which will make me want to meet him in person? Right now it's nowhere to be seen. He doesn't even seem to make an effort and if anything, seems lifeless.

I agree that I will only be able to confirm whether the guy I'm getting to know has the qualities that I'm looking in time (and only upon meeting in person and spending time together). But before meeting, the foundation/basics have to be there in order for me to want to meet them in person. I haven't met many guys who I actually want to meet. I've taken chances and met guys where I knew it most likely wouldn't work and well, it didn't.

Also, I'm open minded. I don't expect to meet someone where we share all of the same interests. In fact, I would like to meet someone who can introduce me to new things (and vice versa).

I realize that I will find these qualities once I get to know someone, but sometimes we meet/connect with people who we just gravitate towards. At first I was iffy about this guy (mainly because of the age difference and the distance), however I wanted to give it a shot because I loved what he wrote in his profile, how he expressed himself online, his pics and the fact that we were looking for similar things. I need some kind of filter, right? Once we began chatting, I was hooked (but knew in the back of my mind that it might not work out once we met in person). I've found that this initial gut feeling about someone (where I feel giddy) is indicative of, most likely, a positive in-person meeting. Plus, I don't get giddy very often or excited about meeting many people. On the other end of the spectrum, I've chatted with and met men where we had absolutely no connection prior to meeting and the lack of chemistry and connection was affirmed when we met in person. We got along well, yes - but there was absolutely no chemistry and I was bored out of my mind (they probably felt the same way about me). For instance, I just began exchanging text messages with a new guy yesterday. I swear, he doesn't have a sense of humour! I try and liven-up the chat, crack jokes and keep things interesting, but his lack luster/mundane replies make me want to stick a fork in my eye. Where's the witty banter and funny side that I want to see, which will make me want to meet him in person? Right now it's nowhere to be seen. He doesn't even seem to make an effort and if anything, seems lifeless.

I agree that I will only be able to confirm whether the guy I'm getting to know has the qualities that I'm looking in time (and only upon meeting in person and spending time together). But before meeting, the foundation/basics have to be there in order for me to want to meet them in person. I haven't met many guys who I actually want to meet. I've taken chances and met guys where I knew it most likely wouldn't work and well, it didn't.

Also, I'm open minded. I don't expect to meet someone where we share all of the same interests. In fact, I would like to meet someone who can introduce me to new things (and vice versa).

It's so funny- I've almost always found it to be the opposite. The guys with the more filled in and better written profiles, that were witty in texts, engaging emails...tended to be quite lame in person. They needed time to come up with responses and be funny and smart. Where as...the guys that had very little written in their profiles, were horrible texters, wrote boring, short emails...were fascinating in real life. Like they were too busy cramming as much as possible into their lives that they didn't have time to spend on their profiles...or wooing me. It was "hey want to meet this weekend?" And we would.

Funny how different people have different experiences. Out of 250ish men, I had mutual chemistry with 10ish of them. I liked about 5 that didn't like me back...and about 90% of the guys I met asked me out again (but I rarely accepted). Only one out of the 10 of the mutual guys...had texting game. I was so excited to meet him. He turned out to be the disaster of my life, but that's a coincidence lol. But the rest of the guys? I was not excited to meet. I was actually kind of dreading meeting my bf because he was horrible at texting and I didn't think we'd have anything in common. But then...he walked into the diner with this incredible, warm smile and he gave me a bear hug...and I was hooked.

Online dating taught me everything before the first meet was completely useless. That common interests meant nothing to me (my bf and I have completely different hobbies and interests...so we go out, do our own thing and come back to each other at the end of the day to snuggle and talk about our day...and that's amazing) I was more concerned with a mans moral compass, his views on money, parenting, marriage...did he volunteer or contribute to his community? Did he make me feel good about myself? Etc.

So yeah. Even profiles I found to be quite useless. I avoided the guys that couldn't figure out his browser had a built in spell checker...and I avoided guys that seemed into partying....and I just met with as many people as possible. It was a long road, but it really helped me define exactly what i wanted in a partner....and when I found him? Wow, was/am I ever grateful.

"Online dating taught me everything before the first meet was completely useless. "

Yes, this with one exception (and this is not a disagreement with that statement, just a different angle) - the profile/emails (usually a few but not more) and phone conversations (usually only two) were excellent ways to screen for safety and also to decide whether I thought it was likely that I could have a pleasant conversation in person for about 45 minutes.

In my profile I wrote "I date people not profiles". "Gravitate?" I cannot relate to that in the context of dating where you're talking about a stranger you've never met in person. Sure, I can gravitate on a platonic friendship level -we might have things in common, have similar writing styles, compatible senses of humor on the phone -but when I was looking for a romantic relationship I knew that in-person chemistry was key. And I do NOT mean looks - sure looks matter so that if the person lied with his photos that would affect things (but more because of the lie than the different look in person) - I mean the body language/vibe/posture/how he treated me and others.

So yes -it's a numbers game, once you screen for safety and basic comfort level -as far as photos, I screened out the men who repulsed me or where their look showed me that we had nothing in common -for me that was long hair/tattoos/muscle shirts/pics with their car/boat, etc. Oh and the guy who changed his photo the day before our first official date to show him staring adoringly down at his naked chest (yup, we met once, he didn't call, we ran into each other during the workday, he called again and asked for another chance -I said sure -and then canceled once I saw that photo which luckily was on an empty stomach).

Out of the 100 men (or more)I met in person, I liked about 1/3rd of them, about half liked me, I probably saw less than 1/4 of them again and had a number of short term dating relationships. I was engaged to someone I met through a personal ad. Several of my friends met their spouses through on line dating sites.

It's so funny- I've almost always found it to be the opposite. The guys with the more filled in and better written profiles, that were witty in texts, engaging emails...tended to be quite lame in person. They needed time to come up with responses and be funny and smart. Where as...the guys that had very little written in their profiles, were horrible texters, wrote boring, short emails...were fascinating in real life. Like they were too busy cramming as much as possible into their lives that they didn't have time to spend on their profiles...or wooing me. It was "hey want to meet this weekend?" And we would.

Funny how different people have different experiences. Out of 250ish men, I had mutual chemistry with 10ish of them. I liked about 5 that didn't like me back...and about 90% of the guys I met asked me out again (but I rarely accepted). Only one out of the 10 of the mutual guys...had texting game. I was so excited to meet him. He turned out to be the disaster of my life, but that's a coincidence lol. But the rest of the guys? I was not excited to meet. I was actually kind of dreading meeting my bf because he was horrible at texting and I didn't think we'd have anything in common. But then...he walked into the diner with this incredible, warm smile and he gave me a bear hug...and I was hooked.

Online dating taught me everything before the first meet was completely useless. That common interests meant nothing to me (my bf and I have completely different hobbies and interests...so we go out, do our own thing and come back to each other at the end of the day to snuggle and talk about our day...and that's amazing) I was more concerned with a mans moral compass, his views on money, parenting, marriage...did he volunteer or contribute to his community? Did he make me feel good about myself? Etc.

So yeah. Even profiles I found to be quite useless. I avoided the guys that couldn't figure out his browser had a built in spell checker...and I avoided guys that seemed into partying....and I just met with as many people as possible. It was a long road, but it really helped me define exactly what i wanted in a partner....and when I found him? Wow, was/am I ever grateful.

Interesting. Just goes to show that we all have our preferences and to each their own.

Yeah, online dating feels like a second job, sometimes. And I find that I date in waves. Sometimes I'm in the mood, and sometimes I need a break. I know what I'm looking for and I'm not about to settle. I have no tolerance for bs and I'm looking for a quality guy for me. I'm really limited for time as well these days, so if I'm going to invest time in someone, they're going to be worth it. Otherwise, there are already important people in my life who I would prefer to invest in when I do have free time. I appreciate when I meet a guy, he's upfront about what he's looking for, and wants to meet right away. It shows that he's serious about finding someone (unless he's looking for a hook-up, but I find I'm able to filter them out easily in comparison with the guys who are seriously seeking).

I did meet a guy once who had a great profile, was witty via text, and when we met in person, he wasn't at all what I expected. He was somewhat shy at first and seemed easily embarrassed and self-conscious. I couldn't believe it. However, the more time we spent together, the more he loosened up. So yeah, he seemed to be more talk than action - so you never know.

I think what surprises me the most when it comes to dating in general, is that a lot of guys seem to become guarded the more I get to know them. At first, the communication flows easily, but the more we get to know each other (at least when it comes to the guys I'm genuinely interested in), the more they seem to clam up and become guarded. The communication in the beginning flows easily, but then as time goes on, it's almost like we're working in reverse when it comes to getting to know each other. The more time goes on, the more I should learn about them (not vice versa). So at times, I reach a point where I'm wondering if they're just being guarded or just losing interest. I then find myself losing interest and when I back away, they all of a sudden amp up their game. It can be so exhausting. No one has time for these games - at least, that's what it feels like - games.

I would love to know how many other people have experienced this before and how they dealt with it (and their reasons for it); whether they're the person who clams-up (the clammer), or the person who's on the receiving end of the person who clams up (the clamee).

Lastly, I should note that guy ended up contacting me on Monday night. It was a short text where he said that he thought of me that day when something happened at work. We've been texting back and forth. He mentioned last night that we're due for a phone chat soon. Why do I get the feeling that this is probably on a road to nowhere. I'll be addressing our endless chatting and lack of in person meeting today. Someone has to say something and I don't want to waste my time any further on this person who may have no intention of meeting me face-to-face. The thought of having to do this is already causing me to lose interest, and that's ok. When it comes to dating, I want to put my best foot forward. This way, if things don't work out, I won't look back on anything that I did with regret and I'll know that despite my efforts, it just wasn't meant to be.

I didn't have the clamming up issue on either end but are you referring to before meeting or while going on dates? If it's before meeting I would avoid the issue by meeting in person ASAP. If it's after then what you might view as clamming up might simply be that they don't choose to get to know you by talking a lot - you can get to know someone without all that talking but through shared activities. etc. Perhaps they feel like you're pressuring them to open up and talk when what they would prefer to do is walk quietly in a park and admire the scenery or people watch. One of my boyfriends and I used to read Ovid to each other instead of "talk". Or put on some dance music in your living room and dance.

Learn by observing how they are in their surroundings, how they treat other people, body language, etc. I have an almost 7 year old who will say to me if I ask too many questions about his school day "can we stop talking?" "I don't want to tell you right now" and then, wah lah -at bedtime he wants to tell me all the minutae of his day.

Meeting people through dating sites was a part time job! I didn't let myself take breaks because I did most of my dating in my 30s and I wanted to be able to try to have a child before it was too late.

I didn't have the clamming up issue on either end but are you referring to before meeting or while going on dates? If it's before meeting I would avoid the issue by meeting in person ASAP. If it's after then what you might view as clamming up might simply be that they don't choose to get to know you by talking a lot - you can get to know someone without all that talking but through shared activities. etc. Perhaps they feel like you're pressuring them to open up and talk when what they would prefer to do is walk quietly in a park and admire the scenery or people watch. One of my boyfriends and I used to read Ovid to each other instead of "talk". Or put on some dance music in your living room and dance.

Learn by observing how they are in their surroundings, how they treat other people, body language, etc. I have an almost 7 year old who will say to me if I ask too many questions about his school day "can we stop talking?" "I don't want to tell you right now" and then, wah lah -at bedtime he wants to tell me all the minutae of his day.

Meeting people through dating sites was a part time job! I didn't let myself take breaks because I did most of my dating in my 30s and I wanted to be able to try to have a child before it was too late.

No, I definitely don't pressure them to open up. I don't say a word about it. I communicate with them on the same level that they communicate with me.

No, I definitely don't pressure them to open up. I don't say a word about it. I communicate with them on the same level that they communicate with me.

I don't mean that kind of pressure. I think it's worth evaluating your communication skills on dates. Are you an active listener or constantly thinking of the next thing you plan to say? Do you listen more than talk? Are you good at sensing when someone might feel overwhelmed or like you're prying? Do you spend a lot of time on lighthearted, fun topics? Are you well-read/up on current events/ sports and if so how do you show that when you're getting to know someone? What do you think it means to get to know someone through conversation?

You might be excellent at talking/socializing etc but all of us can use improvement.

I find sitting across from someone I've never met (or have only known a meeting or two) and trying to make small talk for an hour or two...to be my own version of hell. It feels more like an interview...like, "okay buddy, I've asked you 6 questions...aren't you going to ask any about me?" Or "why does this guy take everything we talk about and turn it back on me...it's like he's hiding something."

So for me, I liked meeting guys and doing things. The science centre, the zoo, getting ice cream and going for a walk, meeting at a festival or a museum...walking around downtown, going skating...anything really where we weren't sitting across from each other. I've even had first meets at costco and at Home Depot lol.

I found the changes in scenery to be great for keeping conversations flowing and natural.

And hey, I got some exercise while out meeting people....not just sitting there drinking a 400 calorie latte

How do you accidentally close your match? What does that even mean?

I don't get it.

On this site, all of the matches appear on one page (this includes matches you're communicating with and matches you're not communicating with). In order to close matches you're not communicating with, it's a two step process (you have to click on 'x' in the match's box to hide them [which then moves them to a 'hidden' category, and you then have to find the match in the 'hidden' category to click on the 'x' again to close them out permanently). As for the matches you are communicating with, as mentioned, they appear on the same page as the matches you're not communicating with or haven't closed out yet. One click and you can close them out permanently. I was closing out matches who I wasn't communicating with from another country and the match I wanted to keep got caught in the cross-fire, so to speak.

I don't place much importance on what they've written on their profile. In more instances than we care to know, they've gotten their sister, their buddy or their mom to write their profile for them. OR, they ask the good people of Enotalone to review their proposed profile and edit it for them

I like short & to the point. Then an in-person meet to gauge personality and interest level.

Ok so you have his phone number, can you not ring him to straighten out the mis-understanding?

I explained to him what happened on Saturday. He messaged me on Monday night and we've been exchanging texts since then. Here's hoping that means I'm forgiven. Next step - meeting in person.

Archived