Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Opinions on PCs for gaming

WithLove

Hey!

So I'm looking to get a new computer that'll be able to handle internet gaming. I'm looking to keep it under $700. I'm unfamiliar with brands - always gotten my stuff secondhand and never anything that does the games justice.

Could anyone give me advice on what to look for, what brands are considered ideal for gaming, and maybe some suggestions on where to look?

Just make sure it has a decent amd or nvidia graphics card (760 or so nvidia; or 290+ amd). It's a good idea to take the graphics card model and put it into somewhere like or just do a google search for benchmarks to get an idea of how well it can run things. The important thing with graphics cards is that it is a DEDICATED card, not an INTEGRATED one.

Most of the other stats on a pc that includes the above will be sufficient.

You should be able to get something pretty decent for your needs for 6 or 700. I always order my pc online (amazon) because they are better at showing the stats, and usually have similar or better price than going to a local best buy. I'm not necessarily recommending this, but here is an example that would probably be decent:

Here's what you don't want:

Notice where it mentions the "Intel Integrated 4400 HD Graphics". Stay away from intel graphics (intel ALSO makes processors, so this can get confusing). And also stay away from integrated. Here's one that has a nice sounding Radeon card:

but if you look up the AMD Radeon HD 7480D you see it is actually a notebook graphics card they stuck in a desktop! Scoundrels.

There are so many companies producing PCs with crappy components that they can get trick unsuspecting people to buy

If you want to save, you need to build a PC. OR you upgrade the video/audio cards and memory in your current PC if possible. If you want a good PC gaming system, $700 isn't enough.

I spent $500 for building mine. You can use some of the same parts from your current PC.

Intel processor sucks for gaming overall. Stick with AMD.

In my city, we have a few reputable computer stores that are run by nerdy people who offer reasonable (and a great value for what you're getting!) priced gaming PCs that they built themselves. Plus, you may get some say in what you want in it, as well as talking to someone who knows the hardware very well. Do you have anything like this in your area?

OMG, all the BAD advice here! (no offense to everyone else here). OP, for the love of god, build your own freaking computer. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy some prebuilt garbage, especially something like an Alienware or some hokey "gaming laptop". You can get something SO much better for the money. When you pay for a prebuilt computer, you are paying for the assembly, labor, profit markups, and warranty/liabilities from the companies that sell them. You are best off buying things part-for-part and building something you can call your own. Snny, I disagree; a decent gaming rig can be build for $700. I created a Micro ATX build for a friend's colleague that was under $500.

I recommend you get out there, read some basic tutorials and watch some YouTube video on building a computer from scratch. You need a tower/case, motherboard (make sure to get one that can hold your sized motherboard), a CPU with a matching socket for a motherboard. Power supply, decent graphics card, and then of course mouse/keyboard/monitor/OS.

For choosing individual parts, see this website:

You can see benchmarks anything from CPUs to hard drives. So if you are comparing on graphics card to another for example, you can see which one has the best performance and etc. Need a quiet PC as well? They even benchmark the noiselevels of parts!

DO:

> Educate yourself, go on YouTube, seriously there are some great channels out there for building PCs

> Join some different forums, lol, with the exception of myself and a few others this is more of a relationship forum, a place like overclock.net might be able to help you more specifically with building a gaming rig

> get a good power supply... it's the most important.

> shop on ebay and be a bargain hunter. You can get some pretty decent used parts (including fantastic graphics cards) for VERY low prices if you look hard enough.

> take your time and learn the ins-and-outs of computers, compare the best parts on the benchmark guide

DON'T:

> again, don't buy something already built for gaming, because it's probably junk or overpriced.

> Shop by brand name, eg. there's a lot of hate for AMD both in CPU and graphics card, but I own both and can tell you my computer vastly outperforms an Intel machine

You should post back here if you want help still. FYI - I'm a soon-to-be IST major, I currently own an AMD rig with a custom water cooling system in it. I also broke a couple CPU overclocking world records for some of AMD's older phenom chips. Good luck!!!

Building is better than prebuilt... but the market is pretty competitive. The prebuilt stuff is not garbage at all. I used to build all my pcs but bought my last one because I didn't feel like spending the time, and 3 years later it can still everything fine. (It's even "oculus ready" according to their tool) It can take a lot of time and education to build something decent.

Up to the OP which route to go. Building will certainly give more bang for your buck. But there are some good options there too. Just not namebrand gaming stuff like alienware, because they mark that up.

Snny, I disagree; a decent gaming rig can be build for $700. I created a Micro ATX build for a friend's colleague that was under $500.

The hardware itself cost around $500. But you got to count for the OS software and other licensed programs (e.g. Microsoft Office). Those cost over 200 altogether.

I have no knowledge on how to build a computer. I don't really know of anyone in my area that I would trust to do it for me without gouging me, either.

The PC I have would need a complete upgrade. It's over 5 years old. The tower itself is tiny. I doubt there'd be room to put anything else/better in it.

I thought back and I do actually have an old friend I went to college with a couple years ago. We're friends on social media and I know he recently opened a computer shop in town with another friend. I contacted him and he wants me to come in so we can talk about what I'm looking for. He was a pretty decent friend back in the day, so I'm hoping he can build me a gaming PC without gouging me.

The specs he gave me are: AMD fx 6 core, 8gb ddr3, 4gb ddr5 video card, 120gb SSD. I think he said something about MSI; he stated he only uses MSI, Asus and something else, that MSI is a lower cost option of the 3. So I agreed to that.

And the most important part: it's gonna be purple!!! Or have purple fans. Idk, he asked what my favorite color is. The guy knows me!

The specs he gave me are: AMD fx 6 core, 8gb ddr3, 4gb ddr5 video card, 120gb SSD. I think he said something about MSI; he stated he only uses MSI, Asus and something else, that MSI is a lower cost option of the 3. So I agreed to that.

And the most important part: it's gonna be purple!!! Or have purple fans. Idk, he asked what my favorite color is. The guy knows me!

Good to hear you found some parts you like and are going for a custom build. The AMD FX series are great. I hope the rest of the stuff you picked is good! What's more important than the amount of memory on both RAM and the video card are the performance/speed. RAM, I hope you got something with good timing. Good luck!

Archived