Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

sun safety advice?

caringcarly

Hi, I've been travelling now for 2 years and I have a constant tan. The thing is I don't want it. I know full well its sun damage and I actually get really annoyed when I'm complimented on it and when all the people back home ask how's my tan coming on. Tanning isn't healthy!

I wear spf 50, sunscreen, long clothes when able. But it's on the days where I'm sight seeing and can't take too many clothes with me that I full on tan.

I respectfully disagree. I'll take a tan via healthy living outdoors over SPF chemicals seeping into my bloodstream any day.

A tan is not damage, it's your skin's way of saying God loves you!

Seriously, skin cancer rates are higher among people who work inside than outside. The supposed links between sun exposure and harm is suspect at best, and of course the studies that appear to link it are typically funded by those who'll profit from spreading that fear.

Actual sunburns are different of course. Drinking too much water will kill you, so all things in moderation.

It sounds like you might need to apply the sun block more often. It needs to be reapplied every time you get wet or sweat, and probably more frequently than stated on the bottle. Make sure the sunblock you buy blocks both UVA & UVB. Maybe you can find a light long sleeved shirt that doesn't take up much space to wear during the peak hours of sun exposure (roughly 10am-2pm). Try to spend as much time in the shade as you can. Wear a hat the provides coverage for at least your face, though a floppy hat that will cover your neck & shoulders a bit would be better. An umbrella would provide protection too, though you might raise a few eyebrows carrying around an open umbrella on a sunny day. That's about it though for reducing sun exposure. You either reduce exposure time or put sunblock on more often.

I agree with you that a deep tan is not good for your skin!

I'm traveling too, in hot, sunny countries, and I have pale skin. I reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, at least, sometimes every hour and a half, and try to keep my most sensitive areas covered (shoulders, chest, face). I know that a lot of people spread their sunscreen on too thin, so it doesn't work as well. You're really supposed to slather it on. The loose, thin clothes work best for me, like a long swishy skirt that doesn't keep you too hot and a very lightweight top (at least short sleeves, I try to avoid tank tops because I almost always get burned!)

It's hard to avoid tanning if you're outside in the sun frequently, especially if you're close to the equator or at high altitudes - and in temperatures where covering up completely just feels unbearable. I traveled for over a year and stayed pretty darn pale, thought it wasn't horribly hot most of the time. As I'm sure you know, another idea is to stay out of the sun during the sunniest hours, and to plan your outdoor excursions for the early morning and late afternoon.

When I was in the Philippines and the Caribbean (countries all by the equator), I still turned red. I had been to tanning booths a month before traveling so I could build a tan base and wouldn't sunbur badly (I am extremely pale). I even used 50 water/sweat proof sunblock since my research said going above 50 wouldn't make a difference... Nope, still red (but for a DAY, then it went away)

When I was in the Philippines I saw shops selling "whitening cream" and many locals carrying umbrellas in broad daylight to keep the sun off. I guess being so close the the equator makes no difference.

What did help:

- applying block a half an hour before sun exposure.

- after swimming, reapplied it. Oceans in warmer waters have higher salinity levels and reduce the effectiveness of sunblock despite of the posted recommendation.

- limit your time outdoors.

- wear light clothes (white for the best) to reflect sun rays.

Archived