Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Driver's side wiper blade always wear faster than the passenger?

Dottieflanogon

This document has excellent information on windshield wiper maintenance.

Anytime you gas up, you should check your wiper blades and clean them. Most stations have paper towels and windshield wiper cleaner fluid- soak the towel with it and wipe it. I always have a hand towel and glass cleaner in my trunk in case gas stations are out of fluid/wipes.

Also what brand are you using? The cheaper the blades, the less likely they will last. I have Bosch brand- they are expensive, but I haven't replaced them within a year so far. I use to have "high quality" Rainax blades, but ended up replacing them 4-5 times a year. You want to get blades that have "dual precision-tension steel springs" because they will adjust and accurately fit over your windshield nice and firm.

This document has excellent information on windshield wiper maintenance.

Anytime you gas up, you should check your wiper blades and clean them. Most stations have paper towels and windshield wiper cleaner fluid- soak the towel with it and wipe it. I always have a hand towel and glass cleaner in my trunk in case gas stations are out of fluid/wipes.

Also what brand are you using? The cheaper the blades, the less likely they will last. I have Bosch brand- they are expensive, but I haven't replaced them within a year so far. I use to have "high quality" Rainax blades, but ended up replacing them 4-5 times a year. You want to get blades that have "dual precision-tension steel springs" because they will adjust and accurately fit over your windshield nice and firm.

Thanks for the link. I use Reflex all Season wiper blades from Canadian Tire.They cost around $30.The thing is,I've replaced the drivers side twice for the last few years-not the passengers.I was wondering why the passenger' s side last longer.Not sure if it is just a coincident

• 2 weeks later...

The past two winters were Hell in my state- we hit negatives (I had a picture with my car's temperature system reading -18 degrees outside during the first winter when I had to go to work). Yet my Bosch wiper blades made it through the second winter.

When you have ice or hard snow on your windshield, DO NOT use them until the windows are completely defrosted. That's a guaranteed way to shorten/destroy your wiper blades.

Archived