Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Adele Hello

Movingforward3

The song is ok, but I'm SOOOO sick of Adele's "deer in headlights" stare. I saw some commercial for her new album and it was like 20 seconds of her staring at the camera, looking like she was either gonna burst into tears or throw up, I dunno.

Hahaha this made me laugh! Thank you!

First time i heard it it was okay, second time i was "meh" and now it's just "ugh" but unfortunately it's stuck in your head whenever you hear it.....i like Adele but this song doesn't do it for me.

Give me James Bay - Hold back the river or Hozier's Take me to church any day over this song!

First time i heard it it was okay, second time i was "meh" and now it's just "ugh" but unfortunately it's stuck in your head whenever you hear it.....i like Adele but this song doesn't do it for me.

I'm also struggling with this song - it's ok, then it's nice, then it's just "meh", then ok, then not crazy about it and don't see what all the fuss is about etc, lol. So far, it hasn't made it to my iPod - so, not "pod worthy", lol.

• 1 month later...

I hate this song.

Take a look at the refrain:

Hello from the other side

I must have called a thousand times

To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done

But when I call you never seem to be home

Hello from the outside

At least I can say that I've tried

To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart

But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore

Read the bolded parts. Ultimately what she's mourning is that she no longer has the power to hurt the person / people to whom she's singing. It's all in the lines "But when I call you never seem to be home" and "But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore". What she's really saying is that most of her pain and sorrow comes from the fact that they're not in pain over it anymore. How can she say she's "sorry" when she's really singing about how she's upset that someone isn't still hurting over her.

I hate this song.

Take a look at the refrain:

Read the bolded parts. Ultimately what she's mourning is that she no longer has the power to hurt the person / people to whom she's singing. It's all in the lines "But when I call you never seem to be home" and "But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore". What she's really saying is that most of her pain and sorrow comes from the fact that they're not in pain over it anymore. How can she say she's "sorry" when she's really singing about how she's upset that someone isn't still hurting over her.

See I always take it to mean that she knows she's torn apart about it but is disappointed that the other person doesn't feel as bad as she does, meaning they don't care as much.

See I always take it to mean that she knows she's torn apart about it but is disappointed that the other person doesn't feel as bad as she does, meaning they don't care as much.

Someone not caring as much is the direct consequence of whatever she did to hurt someone that she's now trying to call to apologize for. So it 's sort of like saying...I'm still suffering the consequences of my actions.....why aren't you still suffering the consequences of my actions. So I think you're right...she's sad that they don't care as much, but what I find missing is the acceptance that them getting over it (not caring as much) should allow her to let go of her guilt for creating the situation. She's basically upset with them for getting over it before she did, even though she caused it.

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview with i-D, Adele contextualizes “Hello”:

“The song is about hurting someone’s feelings but it’s also about trying to stay in touch with myself, which sometimes can be a little bit hard to do,” she explains.

“It’s about a yearning for the other side of me. When I’m away, I really, really miss my life at home.

The way that I feel when I’m not in England, is…” she pauses, “desperation. I can’t breathe anywhere else.”

Why? “I dunno. I’m so attached to my whole life here. I get worked up that I’m missing out on things.

So Hello is about wanting to be at home and wanting to reach out to everyone I’ve ever hurt – including myself – and apologise for it.”

I love the song and many of us could put a incident or two from our life into context with this.

"Hello"

Hello, it's me

I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet

To go over everything

They say that time's supposed to heal ya

But I ain't done much healing

Hello, can you hear me?

I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be

When we were younger and free

I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet

There's such a difference between us

And a million miles

Hello from the other side

I must have called a thousand times

Hello from the outside

At least I can say that I've tried

But it don't matter. It clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore

Hello, how are you?

It's so typical of me to talk about myself. I'm sorry

I hope that you're well

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?

And it's no secret that the both of us

Are running out of time

So hello from the other side (other side)

I must have called a thousand times (thousand times)

Hello from the outside (outside)

At least I can say that I've tried (I've tried)

(Highs, highs, highs, highs,

Lows, lows, lows, lows)

Anymore

Hello from the other side (other side)

I must have called a thousand times (thousand times)

Hello from the outside (outside)

At least I can say that I've tried (I've tried)

Archived