Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

4 hours ago, yogacat said:

I am a sucker for big, saucer-like pleading eyes, I will admit. 🫠

No. Not the pleading eyes. They are working their cuteness on me. I am powerless to resist....

chipmunks_thumb.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHgY9oE7qO2TXaRceI-A0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT--9nGD7dJ-kDCzDZX4Jr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShySoul said:

No. Not the pleading eyes. They are working their cuteness on me. I am powerless to resist....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT--9nGD7dJ-kDCzDZX4Jr

Your hand (oops, I mean....squirrel...) is adorable...

19 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Sorry both of you have had such bad experiences.

On a related topic, owners clean up after your dogs! Especially when  there are bags provided and a trash bin right there. No one needs to see your dog's waste on the ground. Practically everyday in my community I walk by this and it's just disgusting. 

Shys, they go one step further around my neck of the woods. The ones that do clean up the poopies, put it in a plastic bag, and then leave the bag on the sidewalk. 😂

4 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Shys, they go one step further around my neck of the woods. The ones that do clean up the poopies, put it in a plastic bag, and then leave the bag on the sidewalk. 😂

YES!!  I see that all the time! GAH!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Your hand (oops, I mean....squirrel...) is adorable...

Should I be a hand model then?

Not my squirrel, courtesy of google images. 

Usually place the nuts on my leg so my squirrels sit next to me looking up with those adorable eyes. Haven't tried taking picture of them yet. Wonder how they would react. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAzARvLw99TBHQRowkkZw

6 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Well, hopefully they aren't leaving it on anyone's doorstep. 😒

21 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Should I be a hand model then?

Not my squirrel, courtesy of google images. 

Usually place the nuts on my leg so my squirrels sit next to me looking up with those adorable eyes. Haven't tried taking picture of them yet. Wonder how they would react. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAzARvLw99TBHQRowkkZw

I had a pet baby squirrel for 2-3 days. It was in the middle of the road and I scooped the little fluffy poofie pie up in my hands and kept him in my room until I could figure out what to do with it...

If you photograph it with a flash it might startle it. They'll be the ultimate squirrelosophers #SquirrelSelfie #SquadGoals

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Batya33 said:

My issue is when -not many times -I've been accused by dog owners of not being a dog person/liking dogs -no I like certain dogs and I don't like when dog owners put me in harms way.  I was very sad when my friend's older dog had to be put to sleep because I'd visited her and Sophie just basically curled up by me most of the visit.  I had a dog owner during a loooong elevator ride keep telling another dog owner about me "she doesn't like dogs" -the dog had been big and leaping as we got on so I took my little petite body way in the corner to avoid being leapt on. I repeated to her "I do like dogs I don't like being leapt on." 

I do understand when cats and dogs are part of the family -don't adopt one if you're not committed.  (like the pandemic puppy issue now).  I have a friend who might not go with the family to take her son back to college in a few weeks because her cat needs complicated diabetes treatment at home.  She acknowledged that if she also worked outside the home she's just not sure if they could maintain this regimen.

I totally get this. Some people do it with kids too. "Oh you don't like kids?" ...when they are letting their child go feral. Liking kids or dogs has nothing to do with it. It's the person responsible for the kid or dog, not being responsible, that is the issue .

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Capricorn3 said:

It has been known to happen - actually caught on doorbell camera (not mine).  Ugh.

Unreal.

There's usually garbage cans nearby. 🤷 

Some people, geebees!

22 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I had a pet baby squirrel for 2-3 days. It was in the middle of the road and I scooped the little fluffy poofie pie up in my hands and kept him in my room until I could figure out what to do with it...

If you photograph it with a flash it might startle it. They'll be the ultimate squirrelosophers #SquirrelSelfie #SquadGoals

Awww... I've watched so many videos of people rescuing baby squirels. It's a lot of work caring for them. Bless you Saint Yogacat for watching out for the little things. 

Would get them used to the camera first. I'm guessing one would jump away scared, most would stare at it puzzled, and my favorite would ignore it, jump on my lap, and wonder where the nuts are. 🐿️

9 hours ago, yogacat said:

I've seen baby yodas (oh, their big, sparkling eyes and odd-shaped furry ears are so cute) but never quite understood how they originated from Adult Yoda. 

Reminds me of this cute little fella from Gremlins. Or the cat 'puss n boots.' I am a sucker for big, saucer-like pleading eyes, I will admit. 🫠

43204d04f466a174eb0c79187166eaf9.jpg

30 Pics Of Seals That Are Basically ‘Sea Puppies’ Shared By This Rescue Charity In Ireland ...

Yes, you have to love Gizmo from Gremlins.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Yes, you have to love Gizmo from Gremlins.  

I did. I had a little furbaby furby. It was so cute. I tried to teach it a new language and everything 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two random thoughts -after 2 years of possessing one of those awesome thick beach towels my son brought home from a day at the pool with friends - and at that time I told the mom I would return it and she was totally fine with my not - I had my husband try to give it to her last night when she dropped off our son after a day at the amusement and water park (I know she is awesome) - and - it's not her towel!!! So - I really don't know now who the real owner is!  Therefore - it remains ours.

Second, I hate that thing where you want to reimburse said awesome mom for the costs of taking our son yesterday but -she will decline (we have treated her son but it's been awhile) - and it's so -awkward to ask for the Venmo or have that discussion.  I sent him with money -cash - and he said he offered at the park and she declined.  (If it were me I'd decline too but I like to offer....)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Two random thoughts -after 2 years of possessing one of those awesome thick beach towels my son brought home from a day at the pool with friends - and at that time I told the mom I would return it and she was totally fine with my not - I had my husband try to give it to her last night when she dropped off our son after a day at the amusement and water park (I know she is awesome) - and - it's not her towel!!! So - I really don't know now who the real owner is!  Therefore - it remains ours.

Second, I hate that thing where you want to reimburse said awesome mom for the costs of taking our son yesterday but -she will decline (we have treated her son but it's been awhile) - and it's so -awkward to ask for the Venmo or have that discussion.  I sent him with money -cash - and he said he offered at the park and she declined.  (If it were me I'd decline too but I like to offer....)

This woman told me about a towel called a 'frog towel.' She said it was the best beach towel because not only did it absorb the water. It keeps you cool in the sun!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

This woman told me about a towel called a 'frog towel.' She said it was the best beach towel because not only did it absorb the water. It keeps you cool in the sun!

Need to replace my beach towel which has finally fallen to pieces from the wash, so I looked this up. It's a real thing, the frogg togg towel. 

But I'm more interested in this frog towel instead:

35 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Need to replace my beach towel which has finally fallen to pieces from the wash, so I looked this up. It's a real thing, the frogg togg towel. 

OK that's so weird -my old beach sort of towel did too  the other day -I repurpose old towels as my cleaning rags.  LOL the pic.  I'm picky about towels and linens and bedding.  But not furniture really or interior decorating -missing those genes.

2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

OK that's so weird -my old beach sort of towel did too  the other day -I repurpose old towels as my cleaning rags.  LOL the pic.  I'm picky about towels and linens and bedding.  But not furniture really or interior decorating -missing those genes.

Live in a community that gets a lot of college students attending the nearby university. End of every semester a bunch of them clear out to go back home and leave perfectly good furniture out in an area to be taken away. Have been able to pick up a few useful items from them. Got a desk/storage space for my overflow of CDs a few weeks ago that was just what I was looking for. Also got a nice display case a few days ago. 

It's a hodgepodge that would probably make interior decorators scream, but it works. And you can't beat the price - free!

9 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Live in a community that gets a lot of college students attending the nearby university. End of every semester a bunch of them clear out to go back home and leave perfectly good furniture out in an area to be taken away. Have been able to pick up a few useful items from them. Got a desk/storage space for my overflow of CDs a few weeks ago that was just what I was looking for. Also got a nice display case a few days ago. 

It's a hodgepodge that would probably make interior decorators scream, but it works. And you can't beat the price - free!

LOl so - at least two of our "office chairs" are from prior tenants leaving them and one I snagged for $40 from a neighbor. Also love a left behind huge mug with the starbucks/chicago logo. 

Funny story -when I moved in the 1990s out of my parents' home we put our stuff on the sidewalk to be loaded into the car. including a painting/print of that famous painting of the woman in the grass back to us looking towards a farmhouse (she is deaf apparently) - it was gifted to me.  Anyway a random person walked by and asked me how much lol.

15 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Very cute~! It reminds me of a mummified frog. It's only missing a sticky tongue and some flies. ‘ribbit ribbit’ 🐸🪰😋

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Funny story -when I moved in the 1990s out of my parents' home we put our stuff on the sidewalk to be loaded into the car. including a painting/print of that famous painting of the woman in the grass back to us looking towards a farmhouse (she is deaf apparently) - it was gifted to me.  Anyway a random person walked by and asked me how much lol.

My father and I moved at the same time from where I grew up. Everyone else had already left. He was going to Texas, me to SoCal. Trying to clean out over 20 years in three days was a nightmare.

I actually kept very little as I didn't have the room where I was going. One thing I had to keep was my music collection. In the confusion, I lost track of it. I verified with my father it had made it in the right car to go with me. He said yes. It didn't. It didn't go with him either. I think one of the people he paid to help move the furniture decided to steal it and sell them. So I had to start rebuilding the collection.

Yeah, don't have good memories of that experience. Lol.

I gave most of my old toys away. So as I was making one last trip to a corner store I could see a street vendor spreading out my wrestling figures for lucky people to buy. Hope they went to good homes.😥

7 hours ago, ShySoul said:

My father and I moved at the same time from where I grew up. Everyone else had already left. He was going to Texas, me to SoCal. Trying to clean out over 20 years in three days was a nightmare.

I actually kept very little as I didn't have the room where I was going. One thing I had to keep was my music collection. In the confusion, I lost track of it. I verified with my father it had made it in the right car to go with me. He said yes. It didn't. It didn't go with him either. I think one of the people he paid to help move the furniture decided to steal it and sell them. So I had to start rebuilding the collection.

Yeah, don't have good memories of that experience. Lol.

I gave most of my old toys away. So as I was making one last trip to a corner store I could see a street vendor spreading out my wrestling figures for lucky people to buy. Hope they went to good homes.😥

I am so sorry to hear  this about the music collection! I'm glad you could rebuild.

Moving sucks.  I hate it so much.  I haven't had to do it much.  This move from NYC to where we are now was piecemeal because his employer relocated his stuff and some of mine but I didn't move till after our son was born -a year later. As a result I still don't have something special to me -that would be in a huge box! -I inherited from a relative who passed away.  It's -somewhere- not lost -but not for me to enjoy.  I lived in the same apartment for about 14 years so it was interesting to clean it out with an infant.  

That's very complicated moving from several places -my husband was living outside NY that year but still had stuff in NY etc. 

My mother is a minimalist and my dad was mostly like that.  She gave my prom and bridesmaid dresses to her granddaughters for dress up but thankfully kept one that actually is worth something now because of the brand.  My husband is now busy scanning in old photos he salvaged from his late parents' home -his childhood home - after it was badly water damaged.

My random thought - there should be a particular thing you take whether medicinal or otherwise to prep for a customer service call involving insurance coverage.... 😉

On 8/6/2024 at 4:17 AM, Batya33 said:

I lived in the same apartment for about 14 years so it was interesting to clean it out with an infant.  

That's very complicated moving from several places -my husband was living outside NY that year but still had stuff in NY etc.

I lived on the same block first 22 years of my life. Only move was two buildings over. Been where I currently am for 11 years. If I don't have to move, I'm staying where I am. 

When I moved to the current place there was a mixup on the move-in dates. My roommate went to check on the place a couple days beforehand, only to find it wasn't ready yet. So we had to push back the move in a few days. Luckily we timed it so we could still stay at the old place and got a credit for rent since it was their error. To further complicate things, our other roommate was moving his stuff to Colorado. That was also fun. 🙄

On 8/6/2024 at 4:17 AM, Batya33 said:

My random thought - there should be a particular thing you take whether medicinal or otherwise to prep for a customer service call involving insurance coverage....

Can we just make that for any customer service call? Each topic is it's own special brand of hell....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShySoul said:

I lived on the same block first 22 years of my life. Only move was two buildings over. Been where I currently am for 11 years. If I don't have to move, I'm staying where I am. 

When I moved to the current place there was a mixup on the move-in dates. My roommate went to check on the place a couple days beforehand, only to find it wasn't ready yet. So we had to push back the move in a few days. Luckily we timed it so we could still stay at the old place and got a credit for rent since it was their error. To further complicate things, our other roommate was moving his stuff to Colorado. That was also fun. 🙄

Can we just make that for any customer service call? Each topic is it's own special brand of hell....

Yes although my mom was in customer service for 15 years plus and - she was much loved by her coworkers and callers My mom -she just knew what to do and she has the loveliest phone voice (there was pressure to complete calls within a specific period of time).  The only time the phones stopped was when the OJ verdict was read in 1995.  Yes though I agree with you!

I was brought to tears a few years ago after hours on phone with insurance -a dental insurance issue where I was owed $$ - constantly transferred to different departments (fun fact -oral surgery can be medical and dental or both or whatever) and I finally got someone who -cared-and was professional and I was teary and told her not angrily just sad how hard this was for me to spend all this time and keep hitting a wall.  I did get my $ finally.  It was multiple errors on their part. 

Every time I've experienced that -several times since I also do the calls on behalf of our son (imagine an error where you're home from major surgery with a newborn and told none of your hospital stay is covered because of some discrepancy with birthdates of you and your husband -yes it was worked out through my post surgery and new mom haze)-

I wonder -what do the elderly or people with disabilities do -people who cannot advocate for themselves or don't have the endurance to keep calling? I have offered to make calls on behalf of people and you know that's hard too if confidential info is required. 

I moved from my small apartment to temporary larger housing about 5 months after marriage with  a 3 month old - in fact he was in his stroller as I did the last run through of my apartment of around 15 years to make sure I'd get my security deposit back (I did).  Then after the summer we moved 800 miles away -my husband already had the apartment there for a year.  And we've been there now for about 15 years.  But for 5 summers we lived all summer in our hometown of NYC and  that felt like moving particularly with the baby and all his gear.  No fun.  But it was a furnished place so that helped a lot. 

Moving IMO not for the faint of heart and I don't relate to people who do it regularly for the purpose of getting a bigger house etc - I mean I'd balance the pros/cons differently.  It's easier when it's a corporate relo where the company arranges for the professional movers.