Open Club  ·  35 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Favorite passages, quotes, poems

RainyCoast

On 6/17/2024 at 2:13 PM, mylolita said:
“I like people who dream or talk to themselves interminably; I like them, for they are double. They are here and elsewhere.”
Albert Camus, ‘The Fall’ 

I knew my habit of talking to myself was a good thing. Now if only the voices talking back wouldn't be so argumentative. 😉

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ShySoul said:

I knew my habit of talking to myself was a good thing. Now if only the voices talking back wouldn't be so argumentative. 😉

My most favourite boss Shy - was an old boy of a guy who looked like a cross between a piranha and Winston Churchill - use to talk to himself! 

He’d sit there at 65, facing his computer, typing sluggishly one finger at a time. The office was silent apart from his monotone calling for his lazy son in the back office (“Cccccrrrrrrrris!”) and also, the odd, “You idiot.” Factually spoken to himself. You’d hear him back peddle on the delete key. 

Now and then he would also come out with small stories and ditties of characters and self depreciation. A widely hated man in our community (he used to tote “I’m the most hated man in *where we lived*!) but to me, he was like marmite - and the people who disliked him never saw the endearing bits, only the old school, hard business shell. 

I wish I could smell one of his slim cigars again that he smoked completely ignorantly in the kitchen - LOL! 

I miss his talking to himself and was rocked when I heard a year or two after I left, he had died.

Keep on Shy! My husband says I have this habit of exclaiming “Right!” All the time? Like a prelude to doing something? Like… right! Everything is in order, let’s start! But then, the funny thing about it is, I never begin 🤣

x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1