Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Blue Spiral's Adventures in Solitude

Blue Spiral

In her defense, I don't think she shared them--the cloud wasn't as secure as it should have been.

Oh, in that case, I do feel bad for her. Very unfortunate.

I trust computers far more than humans, I'm afraid. That's why I can't wait for auto driving cars.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I trust computers far more than humans, I'm afraid. That's why I can't wait for auto driving cars.

I hope those don't end up in the same category as moving sidewalks (outside of airports, anyway), hoverboards, jetpacks, and moon cities.

I can remember being in gradeschool when Back to the Future 2 came out, and this one kid insisted that hoverboards were just a year or two away...

I hope those don't end up in the same category as moving sidewalks (outside of airports, anyway), hoverboards, jetpacks, and moon cities.

I can remember being in gradeschool when Back to the Future 2 came out, and this one kid insisted that hoverboards were just a year or two away...

It won't. Google has a prototype. They even changed the laws in Nevada and (maybe?) California so now auto driving cars are legal in those states. That's how they tested their prototypes on the road. I'm sooooo excited. But you know, look at cars these days. The newer ones already park and stop for you and have sensors so you don't end up running over your dog or child or something.

I really can't wait. BTTF really gave me unnecessarily high expectations of the future.

I like numbers 1 and 3. Does make you wonder what they will be doing in 10 years.

I am afraid to click for uncanny valley/nightmare-fuel reasons. I'll wait for the indistinguishable androids, thank you.

In other news, I haven't heard from ANNIE, BETTY, the other one, or my ex...but a surprising number of women have talked to me in public, lately, and even more have (I'm 99% sure) checked me out. So my self-esteem is a little higher than usual.

Japan definitely has an interesting sexual culture, right now. That said, I've always preferred action figures to dolls.

Also, it looks like I spoke too soon--ANNIE contacted me and sent me a new picture.

p.s.: I'm arguably a hippie, so feel free to ask me anything.

Japan definitely has an interesting sexual culture, right now. That said, I've always preferred action figures to dolls.

Also, it looks like I spoke too soon--ANNIE contacted me and sent me a new picture

p.s.: I'm arguably a hippie, so feel free to ask me anything.

I think the a Japanese dolls were much prettier than the robots. Who is a hippie - you or ANNIE?

Who is a hippie - you or ANNIE?

I'm the most clean-cut, boringly-dressed hippie you'll ever see. Sure, I've never drank anything harder than milk, or taken anything harder than ibuprofen (except for some pain meds, one time). But I'm descended from honest-to-god Bohemians on one side of my family. I'm creative, I have unusual beliefs, etc. A certain Supreme Court justice told people to "ask a hippie", yesterday, so I'm just trying to be obliging.

BS, I have had a special interest in Bohemians, TRULY. One book I read and liked a lot is called "Dancing With the Bohemians". I think I will read it again. Have an Australian book which is mostly about people in the arts, going back a long way and their influence in society. I've read bits and pieces about a movement in America which possibly has interested me the most, but I can't remember the name of this movement. Louisa May Alcott and her parents were very involved - her father was a founder of it, and they were completely radical with their school fir their children - no corporal punishment and outdoor classes, including nature studies. .? Thorreaux attended there and they were like a Renaissance

Group of American artists, writers and philosophers. One if these days I will get to track down books in similar in France and Germany. Amazing people.

I like to think of myself as a modern-day Bohemian, which is to say that I'm creative, a sexual libertine, and socially/culturally exotic. Unfortunately, I'm severely style-challenged and safe-looking, so people think I'm normal/bland. I look like the walking personification of Cream of Wheat. (Part of that is because I never have a tan. I love Cream of Wheat, though.)

After ANNIE initiated contact, I meant to text her back...but I keep forgetting to. Plus, I'm just not much of a texter. If I saw her online, I'd talk to her a lot, but texting just seems like a hassle. So that's why my phone is current sitting on my bed, untouched. Ironically, if I were still looking for a girlfriend, I'd be thrilled, because she'd be great girlfriend material. But, between my laziness/apathy about people and my fear of breaking yet another woman's heart...

Why do you have a fear of breaking another woman's heart? Isn't that part of dating? People getting their hearts stepped on from time to time?

Annoying semantics alert: I don't date, and never have.

More seriously, I don't want to hurt anyone, and I don't understand how people can just shrug off hurting someone else. I feel insanely guilty about very minor things. In this case, I'm pretty sure that ANNIE wants a relationship, and I know that I don't, so I'd rather just skip the whole thing and avoid hurting her.

Your self conscience, for lack of a less original term, is telling you to break out of that shell. You don't have to hurt her. It's not a prerequisite of entering a relationship.

And, people don't "shrug off" hurting others like it's a serialized behavior. It's more or less the understood dynamics of a social custom that has existed for ages. The good and the bad of caring for someone makes the process meaningful.

And, people don't "shrug off" hurting others like it's a serialized behavior. It's more or less the understood dynamics of a social custom that has existed for ages. The good and the bad of caring for someone makes the process meaningful.

Agree with this. Everytime you open up to someone/they open to you, you risk being hurt and they risk being hurt. Simple as that. Up to you whether or not you want to take the risk. No right or wrong answer there.

Agree with this. Everytime you open up to someone/they open to you, you risk being hurt and they risk being hurt. Simple as that. Up to you whether or not you want to take the risk. No right or wrong answer there.

Historically, I've gone with "no".

Archived