15 and about to be kicked out of the house by mother

Hetch

Lets start this off by saying I've had a really hard time in school lately. Socially I'm not that big of a person and overall I don't like the place at all. I did research for a few months over the summer and this year I decided I would take school online, and do it all at home. I just needed to register for home schooling. When I told my mother I wanted to do homeschooling, she wasn't happy about it but she was willing to try it.

Yesterday morning when I told her I didn't want to school and we should get the paperwork done for homeschooling (she kept holding it off) we got into a small argument, that escalated until my mom said "Get out of my house, and I don't want you to come back." I spent the next several hours trying to make my phones crappy battery last as long as possible while I called people I know looking for a place to stay.

I ended up staying at my brothers girlfriends house last night and my brother took me back home and tried to convince my mom to let me stay, as soon as he left my mom told me to leave again. I refused and now she is getting my dad to physically force me to leave the house. This wouldn't be that big of a problem except for the fact that my phones battery is broken, making it last 3 or 4 hours, and my dad decided to take my wallet so I have no money.

I basically feel homeless. I know there are people in worse situations, but I have nothing now. I'm surprised I even had enough time to type this.

I hear my dad upstairs coming down, and I don't feel safe around him.

Info: 15 year old male, high school, north carolina

Honestly I don't think homeschooling is a great option for you, it takes a great deal more self discipline to see that through, there really isn't anyone to motivate you do do the school work. I can see homeschooling working if you have a lot of support from home. The best option for you probably to either stay in the school you are or possibly another school more suited to your situation, troubled kids or whatever. Another reason why homeschooling wouldn't work great is that you would be home a lot more creating more of a burden and conflict with your folks. There may be resources out there that you can draw from, troubled, run away kid support organizations, that is where I would look. Even from your account, it does seem that you can still draw on your family, and friends of your family for support, so I would do my best to keep harmony and avoid conflict to see things through in the next what will seem like long years, but really they are not.

Hi Hetch,

You can call on Child Protective Services to help you in this case. Your parents cannot just throw you out of the house and leave you to fend for yourself at your age. CPS will intervene and if your parents refuse to cooperate they will be able to find you a place to stay. It's not a great option I realize that but it is better then being homeless and hungry on the street.

I get that school is not always rainbows and butterflies, and as someone that was homeless at 15 - do yourself the favor of calling CPS or a family member (aunt, uncle, grandparents) and explain the situation.

I slept in window wells, in my car - trust me. There are other options out there once you swallow your pride and look at the bigger picture. Make a call or notify someone at your school - then they'll take the ball and run with it.

This is really NOT fair for you

You are 15. You need help.. you need housing, food etc.

Is there any place like a youth shelter? It should be supported by gov't assistance. They'll give u a place to sleep, fee dyou but you either have to attend school or go out looking for work, etc.

You could also possibly ask about asistance on getting a room to rent.. that or they place you in something like a foster home?

OR childrens services become involved with you & your parents.

I suggest you go look into this...

Try youth shelter first? So youhave somewhere to settle, sleep & eat.

OP, I am extremely concerned about the information you posted. Especially when you say things like:

as soon as he left my mom told me to leave again. I refused and now she is getting my dad to physically force me to leave the house.

and

I hear my dad upstairs coming down, and I don't feel safe around him.

These kind of statements are taken very seriously here on this forum. These are not normal feelings to have with your parents.

Please come back soon and let us know how you are doing. We care and want to make sure that you are safe. I used to work with children in North Carolina and can direct you to some resources. If you are not comfortable speaking with a child protection service agency, you definitely need to go to your school (even if you left) and ask to speak to a guidance counselor about these issues at home. By law, they have to act upon this issue immediately.

Hetch,

My name is Travis Barkley. I am a Detective with the Asheville Police Department. Firstly, I apologize for the rather public and unorthodox manner that I'm having to contact you. At this time I have insufficient information to identify you and no other means to get in touch.

A concerned forum member or administrator made the FBI Internet Crime Report Center aware of your post and it was forwarded to me for follow-up.

Your situation is concerning and potentially dangerous. We take these matters seriously and are here to help. Please contact me or the Asheville Police Department as soon as you are able. If I am unavailable, request to speak to a Criminal Investigations Supervisor.

Asheville Police Department non-emergency line: 828-252-1110

Det. Travis Barkley

tbarkley@ashevillenc.gov

office: 828-259-5931

Hetch, I hope you saw the post from Detective Barkley.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through, and I hope you are still reading the posts here, and will get in touch with the Detective, to get help. You are not alone.....we are strangers on a website...but we are real people behind these avatars, and we care about what happens to you.

Hetch,

My name is Travis Barkley. I am a Detective with the Asheville Police Department. Firstly, I apologize for the rather public and unorthodox manner that I'm having to contact you. At this time I have insufficient information to identify you and no other means to get in touch.

A concerned forum member or administrator made the FBI Internet Crime Report Center aware of your post and it was forwarded to me for follow-up.

Your situation is concerning and potentially dangerous. We take these matters seriously and are here to help. Please contact me or the Asheville Police Department as soon as you are able. If I am unavailable, request to speak to a Criminal Investigations Supervisor.

Asheville Police Department non-emergency line: 828-252-1110

Det. Travis Barkley

tbarkley@ashevillenc.gov

office: 828-259-5931

Hi Hetch,

I'm so happy that a law enforcement official posted like this. That is extraordinarily rare and shows their concern and dedication for helping someone just like you.

Please contact the Detective as soon as you can. He will be able to help you with your situation and make sure you will not be out on the street or hurt at home. I have worked with many law enforcement agents in cases like this and every single one of them have gone above and beyond their duty to help. Give him a call and let him help you.

Archived