Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Diary Of A Redhead

mylolita

28 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I have read ‘Gone With The Wind’ by the way and also LOVE the film adaptation with Vivienne Leigh! I relate to her spoilt and conceited vanity, her steely resolve that seems frivolous and childish on the surface but is secretly strong and cutting! 

Read it ten times plus as a child and have been to the Margaret Mitchell House in Atlanta -very nice museum! Love the movie. Have you read The Help? 

Love children's books.  Have you read them the Frog and Toad series? We spent lots of time in the local children's library and the librarian was like Mr. Rogers -the best.  In fact when my son was 2 or 3 he received a round of applause for...... sitting still with the other little ones for one entire children's book during library story time!!! 

My son's favorite book before he could walk -was this children's book - my friend wrote about being environmentally conscious - it was in our magazine rack and he delighted in crawling across the room, grabbing it and bringing it over for me to read -again and again - he had no clue really just that he liked the whole ritual of dragging it over to me and then looking at the environmentally friendly photos lol.  

I love bookcases -I love looking at peoples' bookcases in their homes - not in a judgey way -total curiosity.  

On 10/16/2024 at 3:26 AM, Batya33 said:

LOL not at all Dahl is not everyone's cup of tea! James and the Giant Peach got me through a number of substitute teaching gigs in the late 80s/early 90s when the teacher left me no lesson plans -I had an activity involving the book that took up over an hour.  Now -had I suggested Little House on the Prairie series to a Brit such as yourself -I mean -talk about insulting LOL. 😉

I loved James and the Giant Peach. I went to high school with someone who had a line in the film.

Never read Little House though. Had a friend who tried and couldn't get through a book. I think I'll just stick to watching the show. Oh Nellie Oleson, you troublemaking rascal. 😉

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 3:45 AM, mylolita said:

I will defend myself here Shy and explain that although at first glance, my reading choice seems sexual - really the running theme is taboo outlier. That’s what is being explored. 
It speaks to the outliers who don’t feel they fit in and grasp and grasp for something genuine and real but can’t seem to find it. 

Phoney is the perfect word to describe a lot of human interaction.

Was just playing with you Lol. I'm sure beyond the flashy exterior and first glance, their are worlds of depth to all these novels. 

As a bit of a misfit and outlier, I know the feeling of grasping for the real and genuine when so much feels phoney and formulaic. Searching for meaning and connection can feel impossible at times. Yet, we keep trying, 

I'll make sure to pick those up. They actually all sound really interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShySoul said:

I loved James and the Giant Peach. I went to high school with someone who had a line in the film.

Never read Little House though. Had a friend who tried and couldn't get through a book. I think I'll just stick to watching the show. Oh Nellie Oleson, you troublemaking rascal. 😉

LOL I read all of them more than once. That is so cool that you knew someone in the film!!