Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Diary Of A Redhead

mylolita

Two big pet hates of mine:

Bureaucracy and technology. 

Modern society has found a fantastically IRRITATING way to always make sure they go hand in hand, skippin’ along and ensuring that yes, behind the “helpful” smile it’s really just forcing you to comply. 

An example of this is, I’ve learnt today you don’t simply go to your kids parents evening! DON’T BE DAFT! You log into the APP (it’ll have a REALLY annoying patronising stupid bloody hideous name) and after logging in and downloading it and creating your passwords and verifying you then have to be able to check into these online time table whatever’s and get the codes from somewhere else and then sign up to which time slot and then have the code what not there as well when you show. 

Can I be an assh*le and request a letter in her book bag? 

Can I be one of those intolerable bigots and ask she reads a physical, paper book? Y’know, like the ones of ancient old?! You’d think I was saying to Miss Q that she needs to bring home Egyptian parchment paper so we can translate some hieroglyphs tonight?! 

I have ducked out of this only for so long with my boy. He freakishly does his times tables with a pen and paper, and not through some weird child aimed app on my smartphone. Why on earth do I want him to come home and pin his eyeballs onto my smart phone?! They already look at a huge screen all day use YouTube (sorry, it’s VISUAL LEARNING and ACCESSIBLE online resourcing). Excuse me. 

You can’t dress it up for me. I’m sorry. 

Why am I viewed like a fundamentalist Mormon for wanting my kids to be able to write with a pen and read off some paper? I’m like, a crazy wild hippie mother running in bare feet because my kids don’t have phones and tablets?! They’re five and six!?! 

Is it just me? 

Maybe it is. But I don’t care.

The school is gladly on thin ice with me and little do they know, or probably care, that they are only two more cyber gender reassignment TikTok rizz no cap moves before I pull them out and homeschool them all!!!!!!

And don’t get me started on the parent WhatsApp groups. A few weeks in and I’ve already had enough. I’ll be deleting this one like I did with my sons year. The stuff they talk about and ask… if I had access to a pistol, you’d be tempted to shoot yourself, honestly, it’s that bleak. All your faith in humanity will drain away before your blue screen. 

We’re moving to the other side of the country and the middle of nowhere. You think I’m kidding, but that’s our change of plan. 

Get me my chicken and my little slice of pure, fresh air heaven!!!! 

My kids won’t be at this school for much longer and my baby girl will never step foot there.

x

I started a book club amongst the Mums.

I host. 

I had almost a waiting list situation, even though I have a big house and plenty of room. It seemed a popular idea. Probably because they knew I’d have wine free flowing all night by an open fire! 

Anyway, only one woman including myself has read the book out of 12 others. These women are, I’m sorry to say - morons. 

I have a basic, scrape by IQ of 100, and these chicks make me look like Mozart and Sir Isaac Newton rolled together.

Beam me up Scotty. 

x

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2024 at 5:47 AM, mylolita said:

I’m not a horror reader and I avoid horror films and slasher films like the plague (haven’t seen one since The Ring, whenever that came out a million years ago. That put me off for life!) 

Same here. I can appreciate something that's more psychological - Poe and The Tell-Tale Heart for instance. But can't stand things that seem like an excuse for blood, gore, and death.

Brother was big into Stephen King. Never read them myself. 

On 10/8/2024 at 5:47 AM, mylolita said:

I’ve had one thing published when I was 17. 

Had a couple of poems I did published back in 7th and 8th grade. They were for anthologies of poetry by young author's, submitted by teachers. Think I posted one of them on this board years ago.

My best friend from high school/college actually got a comic book series published. He wrote it, think someone else drew it. 

As for my reading, I'm in the market to try something new if you have any suggestions. I'm currently re-reading Agatha Christie and watching the BBC adaptations of Poirot after each novel. Been trying to figure out what I want to do afterwards as I want to do something other then the mysteries/sci-fi I'm used to.

On 10/8/2024 at 6:24 AM, mylolita said:

Anyway, only one woman including myself has read the book out of 12 others. These women are, I’m sorry to say - morons.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Everyone love the idea of things and will be the first to sign up. When it comes to actually doing the work, not so much. But those same people will be the first to complain about something, even when they had a chance to do something about it. 

Intelligence and common sense are shockingly not so common. Sometimes I really wonder about people....

On 10/8/2024 at 6:03 AM, mylolita said:

Can I be one of those intolerable bigots and ask she reads a physical, paper book? Y’know, like the ones of ancient old?! You’d think I was saying to Miss Q that she needs to bring home Egyptian parchment paper so we can translate some hieroglyphs tonight?! 

I have ducked out of this only for so long with my boy. He freakishly does his times tables with a pen and paper, and not through some weird child aimed app on my smartphone. Why on earth do I want him to come home and pin his eyeballs onto my smart phone?!

I'm on a bus for an hour and a half weekdays, going to and from work. I spend that time reading or doing puzzles in physical paper books. Everytime I look around me I'm the only one doing that. At least have the people are staring at their phones. And they are usually mindlessly looking at ten second videos endlessly. Can't we be away from screens for a few minutes? Can't we have an actual attention span? 

I'm also the only one in the office doing things with pen and paper. I don't rely on an Outlook calender, Teams messaging, or reminders. I use my memory and written checklists. And shockingly, I tend to get my stuff done early, do it correctly, and often catch things that others have missed. 

Technology can be useful. But sometimes the old fashioned ways work just as well. If it ain't broke, why invent ten ways to fix it that require just as many, if not more, steps? 

On 10/8/2024 at 3:24 PM, mylolita said:

I had almost a waiting list situation, even though I have a big house and plenty of room. It seemed a popular idea. Probably because they knew I’d have wine free flowing all night by an open fire! 

There is a recent episode of Futurama about that. Essentially, book clubs are excuses for "Wine moms" to come and drink. At college we had a psychology class where we did discuss that phenomenon. For example, how "coffee drinking" is essentially just an excuse for talk. And how people maybe dont really even enjoy coffee but its sort of a ritual for talking to people. So they do it because of that.

In suburban circles, "book club" is essentially the code for the same. Bunch of moms who want to get away from home, drink wine and gossip. So, look at it in that context. And not in context they actually have interests in books.

8 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

There is a recent episode of Futurama about that. Essentially, book clubs are excuses for "Wine moms" to come and drink. At college we had a psychology class where we did discuss that phenomenon. For example, how "coffee drinking" is essentially just an excuse for talk. And how people maybe dont really even enjoy coffee but its sort of a ritual for talking to people. So they do it because of that.

In suburban circles, "book club" is essentially the code for the same. Bunch of moms who want to get away from home, drink wine and gossip. So, look at it in that context. And not in context they actually have interests in books.

I've been involved in 2 book clubs -one for  2 years and one for months. Been an avid reader for 53 years and with my local library branch closed for up to a year have mostly switched to e-books -so when I read at night I do have it on my phone but I do my utmost only to read -so on a bus or train -asS Shysoul commented -I might look like I'm on my phone but I'm reading.  

Anyway book club one - from around 2006-08 -was I'd say 90% serious minded (I actually didn't read the book one time) -however it did break up due to in fighting of sorts (nothing to do with me) and during that time the WSJ had an article about a therapist type person who helped book club members lol.  I really enjoyed that book club and no it wasn't drinking and gossip or in the suburbs ever.  I'm still in touch with some of the women.  I met them through the woman who invited me.

Second one was in my apartment building but it only sustained a couple of months and even included a young male neighbor lol.  We did take it seriously and read real books but again it was short lived -again I heard there was some sort of conflict between two of the women -nothing to do with me.

I've now endeavoured to finally read The Power Broker - which I bought for my dad in the 1990s and brought back to my home last time we visted my mom.  He I believe read it cover to cover and my former colleague loved Caro's other books so much.  The author is a really interesting person in his own right and I heard him interviewed recently -he's well into his 80s.  

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

however it did break up due to in fighting of sorts

1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

again it was short lived -again I heard there was some sort of conflict between two of the women

And you dont really see the pattern there? Again, just rituals and not really about the books.

Also you conveniently left out the wine part from both. Is it because it doesnt fit your narrative? Its really weird how do you find yourself in these things and always get offended. Just because somebody said something that doesnt fit your individual experience. I am not the only one who noticed that btw. Also here is a helpful article for you

https://bookriot.com/book-club-fails/

Sometimes, we just need a break from our families or a break from our workloads or a break from our other obligations, and being in a book club is the only way we can get that break. Sometimes, we just want to gather with other people and drink wine and stuff our faces with applesauce cake with a salted caramel frosting and laugh until we cry. And book club is an excellent excuse for that. Book? What book?

Again, its almost like its not about the books at all.

Also please save usual, "I am not offended you are just generalizing and I felt that I need to defend my individual experience" talk. I am not having it now and again, I am not the only one who noticed your "moods" when something doesnt fit your individual narrative of things. Plenty of people here have an issue with you because of that. And I think somebody needs to say that to you. In this case, me.

12 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

And you dont really see the pattern there? Again, just rituals and not really about the books.

Also you conveniently left out the wine part from both. Is it because it doesnt fit your narrative? Its really weird how do you find yourself in these things and always get offended. Just because somebody said something that doesnt fit your individual experience. I am not the only one who noticed that btw. Also here is a helpful article for you

https://bookriot.com/book-club-fails/

Again, its almost like its not about the books at all.

Also please save usual, "I am not offended you are just generalizing and I felt that I need to defend my individual experience" talk. I am not having it now and again, I am not the only one who noticed your "moods" when something doesnt fit your individual narrative of things. Plenty of people here have an issue with you because of that. And I think somebody needs to say that to you. In this case, me.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the personal attacks and off topic stuff. Really strange at least to me. I don't agree in the least and referencing many others and appointing yourself to "say something" is even more -odd. And likely inappropriate on to do here especially.  But I'll leave that aside -not my call.

I don't think we focused on alcohol in our book clubs in any way.  I believe some people ordered or had a drink.  I've always had a really low tolerance for alcohol so I typically if I ordered any wine had a half glass. Maybe 2/3rds.  I have no narrative at all.  Was just pointing out my experiences with book clubs in cities. I personally would not be in a book club if we didn't focus on the book.  I remember inviting someone to join this last book club and she asked if it was ok to just do audio books.  I sensed she wasn't really a reader or interested in books.  So I didn't follow up in any strong way.  

My friend is trying to start a book club where she lives. She is middle aged.  She already is finding it challenging -the flakiness of the members, the burden of hosting falling on her.  She started it mainly because she loves books and reading. I know she is putting in effort to have one more meeting and she'll see.  

I referenced the WSJ article where such crazy stuff was happening in book clubs.  I never knew the details of the infighting -more so at the first book club as one of the women confided in me but very generally and by then we didn't have a book club.

I wasn't offended by anything written about book clubs here. At all. I also know of those suburban book clubs you mention where it's not about the books at all.  I would never join one. I lived in a suburb for about 3 months in 1997 in a condo.  I am raising our son in the middle of a major city and he was born in a majort city and lived in that other city every summer the first 5 years. I've been invited to join suburban book clubs but never attended -logistically it wouldn't work for me. But for sure I agree that some are like that. I posted as much.

Mostly I share the same love of books and reading with the OP and I loved how she described her conversations with others about books.

2 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Yes you do. In this case "OMG how can you say that about something I dont perceive in that way such as book club". And you do that all the time. "OMG my individual experiences doesnt fit this, I need to write an essay how my individual experience is and say how its not like that". Because if it doesnt fit Batya individual experience, that means it doesnt happen at all. Again, not the only one who noticed that. Every time we "beef" over something I have multiple DMs from people who praise me for standing up to you. Because you did it to so many people on Forum that they started to notice that about you and avoid writing because "Batya will find herself offended and write an essay how her individual experience doesnt say so". Turn the blind eye as much as you want. Just saying what is peoples perception of your words here.

Also, again, this is your individual experience of book clubs. Certainly not how everybody perceives it and how it is overall. Just because your experience is different, doesnt mean its like that. Maybe remember that next time before you get offended when somebody writes something that doesnt fit your individual world view. Sorry for rant. Just felt somebody needs to say this to you because you are clearly not noticing that.

Yes of course we agree -sorry if it came across differently. I'm really surprised you read it that way and sorry if I wasn't clear. Just my personal experience and opinion and you have yours from what you've read and heard. All good.  I never assume my experience is right in any way -sorry if it comes across that way to you.

• Like 1

Book clubs, coffee, or any other type of meeting that involves multiple people all depend on that particular group of people. You'll get those that are really into the topic at hand. You'll get those that just want to do it because it seems like the cool thing to do or because they want the socializing. And you'll get all points in between. The hard part is finding the right group of people that you click with and are there for the same reasons as you. If you can, it becomes an amazing and fun time. If you don't, it can quickly break down into in fighting and make you feel depressed. 

Friend and I volunteered at a library bookstore. We do it because we love being surrounded by books and seeing them get in the hands of people in the community, while raising money for the library. Some people share that joy and are a treat to be around. Others see the store as a place for personal shopping or a means to gain power and control in their life by getting on the board for the store. Those people make it a lot less fun.

Everyone has there own reasons for doing something. Find the people that share your reasons and enjoy it. Ignore the ones the others as best you can.

11 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Book clubs, coffee, or any other type of meeting that involves multiple people all depend on that particular group of people. You'll get those that are really into the topic at hand. You'll get those that just want to do it because it seems like the cool thing to do or because they want the socializing. And you'll get all points in between. The hard part is finding the right group of people that you click with and are there for the same reasons as you. If you can, it becomes an amazing and fun time. If you don't, it can quickly break down into in fighting and make you feel depressed. 

Friend and I volunteered at a library bookstore. We do it because we love being surrounded by books and seeing them get in the hands of people in the community, while raising money for the library. Some people share that joy and are a treat to be around. Others see the store as a place for personal shopping or a means to gain power and control in their life by getting on the board for the store. Those people make it a lot less fun.

Everyone has there own reasons for doing something. Find the people that share your reasons and enjoy it. Ignore the ones the others as best you can.

Very very good point about group dynamics.  So in 2014-15 my son was in kindergarten and I was still SAHM so I figured -ok maybe I'll volunteer at school- meet the moms, make Mom Friends. Parents were asked to come the first couple weeks of school when the kindergarteners had lunch in the cafeteria to help them get adjusted to eating on their own, waiting on the cafeteria line etc.  OK cool. Except not cool -second my son saw me he wanted Mommy and he didn't want lunch.  Wanted me to take him home (no I didn't).

OK plan B.  I then signed up to shelve books at the school library as I love books.  But only when my son didn't have library class lol.  I'd sneak in and sneak out.  I loved the solitude of it and yes the routine but I also loved the people because they were sort of self-selected -quieter types, there to do the satisfying  task of emptying the carts.  I liked the librarian too. But I wasn't t he person to do those snazzy PTA volunteer activities or anything that, gasp, involved crafty stuff.  

I'm not a fan of people who join groups/activities solely because of a "should" feeling unless it's a should  to give back to community etc. I had that should feeling many times and when I pushed myself too much I felt uncomfortable.

As Cybdi Lauper once said, girls just wanna have fun! And don’t they just! Or, girls just wanna forget about the stresses and pressures of life and drink free wine? 😆

I’m generalising of course. 

I feel like in modern life, maybe the art of feeling out a tongue in cheek comment or reading between the lines or not taking everything to mean absolutely everyone, all of the time; has gotten lost a bit. It definitely gets lost here. 

I often half joke and fain deathly seriousness on here, when it is not the case. It’s British language and humour that doesn’t translate on a majority American site. I have to apologise and it’s got me into muddles and troubles on here too many times! Clashes too. 

I’m not serious minded, by the way, and also I’m no Icabar brain child - I’m no smarter than anyone else. A lot of the women at this group are technically far more intelligent and apparently more “accomplished”. Trust me, with all that aside, I knew the score as soon as I floated the idea out on the open school run and the women shuffled a little in their Ugg Boots to say, “As long as it’s kept light”. 

Again, I’m not judging too harshly the woman who only wants to read chick flicks. It’s not my personal scene but, we all need light relief from time to time. I do think it’s a marker of an idiot - but again, I don’t judge - LOOOOOL!!!!

What I’m trying to say is, I went into this with my eyes open. I’m under no illusion, it’s okay. I’m passing time with the hope of maybe having one conversation with someone that surprises me down the line and also, learning something and trying to get to know some of the other Mums better… even though, we probably won’t be anywhere near this town by the summer. I’m just, livin’ in the moment? 🤣🥲

I’m so curious @Kwothe28 - what was your study and degree in? What field in psychology do you work in? And because I am conceited, I want to know if you think I am a legit terrible person and nut case? Ha! 

And @Batya33, I do know where Kwothe is coming from but, in the past I have also taken you maybe the wrong or right way. But I like your input and feel flattered you read here, so it’s okay. I understand not all book clubs will be wine clubs. I don’t like wine at all, by the way. If I have it, it has to be white or rose and I make a very weak spritzer of it with soda water or lemonade. I’m not above an alco pop though 🥴

@ShySoul I appreciate the straight forward way Stephen King writes. He is obviously very gifted. I enjoy no fluff. 

My recommendations might make you think, what on earth? But one of my all time favourite authors is a guy called Robert Beck, who went by the real life street moniker of ‘Iceberg Slim’. You must read his book ‘Pimp’. Also, one of my other favourite books is Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, hence my username! If you haven’t already read it. These are pretty heavy with dark humour. I LOVE, I mean LOVE, Oscar Wilde. I’d recommend all day his ‘A Picture Of Dorian Gray’. These books all changed my life in a strange way. I’ve never been the same after reading them and re-read them many a time.

Also another all time personal favourite of mine, cliche as it is but, it knocked my socks off - ‘A Catcher In The Rye’ - D.J.Salinger 

He’s another 100 IQ tried it a few times little novella writer who wasn’t anything spesh in school but, I think Salinger is a genius. A real inward artist. I can’t tell you… you have to read it if you haven’t. I’d be surprised if you haven’t. 

x

I LOVE british language and humor -we took our son to London and Cambridge 2 years ago -our first time -my husband is part British and not his first time.  My husband and I were just joking about British-isms the other day.  True -it's possible I might not always "get it" but I'd like to LOL!

I liked Catcher in the Rye and I think I also read Franny and Zooey -did you? 

I wouldn't do a book club meeting where the book was chick lit as any regular diet -my favorite stand out book from the longer book club I did was called The Darling I think - not a chick lit at all.  Resonated with me.  

Books help me so much for so many reasons and always have.  Since you are a Brit I recommend Gone With The Wind or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn if you're interested in sort of historical fiction -two very different eras and amazing books.  Just throwing it out there.  

I enjoy wine and love wine tastings/wineries just have low tolerance for alcohol. Hope that makes sense! One time I carried the little sample out of the liquor store and walked on the sidewalk with it- with my toddler in the stroller LOL.  SAHM gotta have fun. I saw Cyndi Lauper perform once. She's awesome.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mylolita said:

My recommendations might make you think, what on earth? But one of my all time favourite authors is a guy called Robert Beck, who went by the real life street moniker of ‘Iceberg Slim’. You must read his book ‘Pimp’. Also, one of my other favourite books is Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, hence my username! If you haven’t already read it. These are pretty heavy with dark humour. I LOVE, I mean LOVE, Oscar Wilde. I’d recommend all day his ‘A Picture Of Dorian Gray’. These books all changed my life in a strange way. I’ve never been the same after reading them and re-read them many a time.

Also another all time personal favourite of mine, cliche as it is but, it knocked my socks off - ‘A Catcher In The Rye’ - D.J.Salinger 

A did read A Catcher In The Rye. Multiple times. All in the same class. 

It was assigned in a ninth grade class and our final was to be an essay on the novel, assigned the day of the final to be written in the roughly two hour period. We were suppose to read part of the novel over Christmas break and finish it when we got back. Being over ambitious I went ahead and finished it during the break. Then I started over to keep the same pace as the class and not forget anything. Since it was our final, reviewing it was basically the only way to study for the final. Which meant I got a little tired of it, even if it was good. Sorry, I haven't managed to bring myself to go back to it. I believe Holden would label me a "phoney" for that. I seem to recall that word being used a lot. lol

I've seen A Picture of Dorian Gray and Lolita many times while volunteering in the store. I will pick those up at some point. Might just pick a genre and go through it. A lot of classics I've never read like the ones you mentioned. Might be worth it to plug in the missing pieces.

Doubt I would have ever found Robert Beck on my own. There seems to be a very... sensual theme going here. Now we need something written by a prostitute or stripper to get the other side of the coin. 😉

• Haha 1

I really feel you mylolita as far as the frustration with bureaucracy and tech! An app for parent teacher meetings? My head wants to explode just reading that. 

There's been a lot of bureaucracy I've been dealing with, but today alone I spent 2 hours - 2 hours! - waiting to speak to a human only to get a young guy who told me just started and then put me on hold while he connected to his "team". So we both were on hold together, the "team" was located on the opposite coast, and this guy decides he doesn't want to wait and gives me "anything else I can help you with today? OK have a good day". Click. I can not go and speak to a human. I can not do this myself and have to speak to a human, the system doesn't allow me to do it any other way but this way. No one in the system knows how to do anything except one tiny piece of the system. It reminds me of the film Cube! People wake up trapped in a deadly maze and no one knows why or what it's purpose is, but one guy remembers working on drafts for it's shell and guesses people were put in it to justify having built the thing! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

An app for parent teacher meetings? My head wants to explode just reading that. 

We schedule parent-teacher meetings etc via online and sometimes we will do them virtually because the school is far away but -I didn't see the post -yes it involves one on one interaction whether in person or otherwise.  

I also hate waiting a long time to speak to a human - and somehow saying "agent" or "operator" doesn't work like it used to.  All this texting etc is kind of a new world for my husband and me since we're older parents but we try to apply typical rules of manners/etiquette for our son, but he basically means well.  I mean if his BFF texts him to join him and another friend to game online we tell him if you can join even for a little while do it because it's hard to coordinate as a group and if you decline too often the person will stop asking.  I mean -common sense -but texting adds this whole other layer as opposed to when my husband was that age often it was simply -go outside and hang with the neighbor kids or for me an actual landline call where you couldn't just call back and expect the person to be near the phone.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Lolita when you read to/with your kids I highly recommend if you haven't yet many of the Roald Dahl books - I forgot if he was a Brit but I know for sure European.

Batya,

Of course we have read Dahl, and the majority of his children’s work sit in their bookcases. Don’t insult me now 🤣

Just now, mylolita said:

Batya,

Of course we have read Dahl, and the majority of his children’s work sit in their bookcases. Don’t insult me now 🤣

LOL not at all Dahl is not everyone's cup of tea! James and the Giant Peach got me through a number of substitute teaching gigs in the late 80s/early 90s when the teacher left me no lesson plans -I had an activity involving the book that took up over an hour.  Now -had I suggested Little House on the Prairie series to a Brit such as yourself -I mean -talk about insulting LOL. 😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

I really feel you mylolita as far as the frustration with bureaucracy and tech! An app for parent teacher meetings? My head wants to explode just reading that. 

There's been a lot of bureaucracy I've been dealing with, but today alone I spent 2 hours - 2 hours! - waiting to speak to a human only to get a young guy who told me just started and then put me on hold while he connected to his "team". So we both were on hold together, the "team" was located on the opposite coast, and this guy decides he doesn't want to wait and gives me "anything else I can help you with today? OK have a good day". Click. I can not go and speak to a human. I can not do this myself and have to speak to a human, the system doesn't allow me to do it any other way but this way. No one in the system knows how to do anything except one tiny piece of the system. It reminds me of the film Cube! People wake up trapped in a deadly maze and no one knows why or what it's purpose is, but one guy remembers working on drafts for it's shell and guesses people were put in it to justify having built the thing! 

Grand! 

TELL ME ABOUT IT! 

Hey, sometimes a petty niggle rant can be a nice distraction, right?! 🚬🌝 

Your really frustrating wall of faceless “computer says no” reminds me a little of another incident of cave knuckle dragger (me) vs new bionic self exploding electrolyte cyborg lovers! 

I was stood in a group at school and everyone was going back and forth trying to organise a drink out one night and after about 45 minutes of all these highly intelligent career types trying to get it together and settle on one time and date, they were talking to their phones to submit this reminder or whipping their smart thing out (LMAOOO) and typing it in and I reached into my small, mini orange leather bag, pulled out a pencil, and a hard back notebook I had bought when I visited a monastery a few months back. One looked at me and asked, “What are you doing?” I kid you not. 

Hey! I’m writing it down. Y’know what as well? Instead of a notice board or pinging reminders or calendar e-mail whatever’s, by my kettle in the utility room I have an antique lamp, a chopping board and a cooking book holder - on my one and only prized copy of Gordon Ramsay’s half an hour and under recipe book is, WAIT FOR IT, a ripped off piece of A5 lined paper with a few important dates and what’s going on underneath it. I know, I know… this one is written in pen 🖊️ 

TAKE ME DOWN! I AM GUILTY AS CHARGED! 🥲🤣🤣🤣

x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

LOL not at all Dahl is not everyone's cup of tea! James and the Giant Peach got me through a number of substitute teaching gigs in the late 80s/early 90s when the teacher left me no lesson plans -I had an activity involving the book that took up over an hour.  Now -had I suggested Little House on the Prairie series to a Brit such as yourself -I mean -talk about insulting LOL. 😉

It takes a lot to insult me deeply Batya don’t mind that 😆

I am a complete cliche of a British person in many ways and these days am even probably labelled eccentric, even though, I don’t technically think I am! 

I have read ‘Gone With The Wind’ by the way and also LOVE the film adaptation with Vivienne Leigh! I relate to her spoilt and conceited vanity, her steely resolve that seems frivolous and childish on the surface but is secretly strong and cutting! 

I know this is off the topic but kind of not… but I always wanted to be at a traditional, Southern BBQ!!!! It’s on the bucket list! 

I’ll snap my bookcase at some point for you, if you’re interested. My older kids bedroom has two alcoves where the chimney breast juts out and they each have an antique bookcase, about 5 shelves filled with books. One side is my daughters, one side my sons but they mix and match often. 

Of course I could talk to you about my favourite children’s books alone and I feel an urge to snap some stuff now! Collage it on here or something! Of course, you can’t be traditionally British and not have your children read the whole Beatrix Potter collection or the Peter Rabbit series! They have done both many times over. Her illustrations alone are simply… beautiful. Darling things. I can’t put it any other way! 

x

• Like 1

On 10/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, ShySoul said:

A did read A Catcher In The Rye. Multiple times. All in the same class. 

It was assigned in a ninth grade class and our final was to be an essay on the novel, assigned the day of the final to be written in the roughly two hour period. We were suppose to read part of the novel over Christmas break and finish it when we got back. Being over ambitious I went ahead and finished it during the break. Then I started over to keep the same pace as the class and not forget anything. Since it was our final, reviewing it was basically the only way to study for the final. Which meant I got a little tired of it, even if it was good. Sorry, I haven't managed to bring myself to go back to it. I believe Holden would label me a "phoney" for that. I seem to recall that word being used a lot. lol

I've seen A Picture of Dorian Gray and Lolita many times while volunteering in the store. I will pick those up at some point. Might just pick a genre and go through it. A lot of classics I've never read like the ones you mentioned. Might be worth it to plug in the missing pieces.

Doubt I would have ever found Robert Beck on my own. There seems to be a very... sensual theme going here. Now we need something written by a prostitute or stripper to get the other side of the coin. 😉

I will defend myself here Shy and explain that although at first glance, my reading choice seems sexual - really the running theme is taboo outlier. That’s what is being explored. 

There is absolutely nothing sensual about Pimping and gang culture from 1920s ghetto Chicago onwards, and from the perspective of the lead character Humbert Humbert in Lolita - his argument and deluded justification for allowing himself to pursue a young young girl comes from a place of confused but deep love. There is a moment in the book where he goes back to visit her, she is older and pregnant and his heart aches for her just the same. 

Catcher in the Rye to me is a niche coming of age story that drags the reading through a long night and day in New York City, immersing you in the frustrations of a boy who doesn’t fit in and can’t see anything real, desperately attempting to simply make a human connection for once. A lot of people relate to the singer and song writer Morrissey for that exact reason. It speaks to the outliers who don’t feel they fit in and grasp and grasp for something genuine and real but can’t seem to find it. 

Phoney is the perfect word to describe a lot of human interaction.

I’m not saying everyone needs to love that book, it won’t speak to everyone, just like so many stories and characters don’t with me. 

In a nod to my fandom for Salinger and rich New York public school boys I often refer to my youngest daughter as “Lil ‘ol *her name*” 

And everyone seems to be writing a blooming book! 

x

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Grand! 

TELL ME ABOUT IT! 

Hey, sometimes a petty niggle rant can be a nice distraction, right?! 🚬🌝 

Your really frustrating wall of faceless “computer says no” reminds me a little of another incident of cave knuckle dragger (me) vs new bionic self exploding electrolyte cyborg lovers! 

I was stood in a group at school and everyone was going back and forth trying to organise a drink out one night and after about 45 minutes of all these highly intelligent career types trying to get it together and settle on one time and date, they were talking to their phones to submit this reminder or whipping their smart thing out (LMAOOO) and typing it in and I reached into my small, mini orange leather bag, pulled out a pencil, and a hard back notebook I had bought when I visited a monetary a few months back. One looked at me and asked, “What are you doing?” I kid you not. 

Hey! I’m writing it down. Y’know what as well? Instead of a notice board or pinging reminders or calendar e-mail whatever’s, by my kettle in the utility room I have an antique lamp, a chopping board and a cooking book holder - on my one and only prized copy of Gordon Ramsay’s half an hour and under recipe book is, WAIT FOR IT, a ripped off piece of A5 lined paper with a few important dates and what’s going on underneath it. I know, I know… this one is written in pen 🖊️ 

TAKE ME DOWN! I AM GUILTY AS CHARGED! 🥲🤣🤣🤣

x

OMG  I so love this. Preach!!!  I cannot top it or even approach the hilarity -but wanted to share -when I started back to work I'd take old fashion' paper with me to the playground to edit and work on a work project and so many many times I'd be looked at and asked if I was a school teacher because apparently a woman writing on paper had to be some sort of teacher otherwise she'd have her smartphone and be buried in it or have a laptop etc.  

I confess I do have to have reminders on my phone for all the Mom Things and we're required to use shared calendars at work for deadlines.  

But I still love post its which remind me of the movie Romy and Michelle's HS Reunion -highly recommend it for a laugh!!

• Haha 1

Another pet peeve? 

ELECTRIC CARS. 

The people who advocate them are the new Audi and Beamer owners. Infuriating because they have that eco holier than thou twist added into the annoying snobbery of them.

I’d forgive all that in a second. Their biggest crime for me, personally? Is simply that, they look so hideous. 

Car’s used to be beautifully made. The loss of detail in modern everything is an assault on the senses. From clothes to architecture to cars to everyday items and packaging. Electric cars look like daft toy mobiles a 4 year old designed.

Put it away! 

Or, take it to the dump. Although, maybe not the dump, cos we don’t know how to quite recycle the batteries yet?!?!?

x

5 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

OMG  I so love this. Preach!!!  I cannot top it or even approach the hilarity -but wanted to share -when I started back to work I'd take old fashion' paper with me to the playground to edit and work on a work project and so many many times I'd be looked at and asked if I was a school teacher because apparently a woman writing on paper had to be some sort of teacher otherwise she'd have her smartphone and be buried in it or have a laptop etc.  

I confess I do have to have reminders on my phone for all the Mom Things and we're required to use shared calendars at work for deadlines.  

But I still love post its which remind me of the movie Romy and Michelle's HS Reunion -highly recommend it for a laugh!!

They look at you with pity, frankly, when they see a piece of paper and a pen come out. Their look says… “Bless her! That simple., poor retard. She can’t work her phone?”

They think you should be put into a home and wheeled out into a porch, not fit for tomorrow, let alone the future. Maybe they are kind of right? 🤣

And hello fellow paper 📝 user! 

x