Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you grateful for today?

SpottiOtti

I'm truly grateful for my "boat family" the core group has been together for a long while, the "new guy" has only been with us 2 1/2 years. Today I was sechduled to be back on the boat at noon Wednesday, this afternoon I sent another capt a text asking if he would stay one more day so I could have one more night with mom before coming back bc I don't belive she'll make it through the hitch, there was never a question as to if he would stay his reply was go be with your mom.

I'm also thankful for the friends that I hunt with that have become family over the years. They have truly been one hell of a support base the past year and this past week they have helped me more than they can possibly imagine, I've screamed, cried, cussed, and went insane on more than one occasion.

I'm also thankful for 2 ex gf's that have kept my phone and FB blown up this past week checking on me and encouraging me.

Last but certianly not least I'm grateful for the past 38 years I've got to know the wonderful lady I am blessed to call mom. I've seen her struggle through hard times and always come out on top of the pile. I've watched her suffer heartache like I can't even start to comprehend after her husband passed, and I've watched her suffer through now 3 different kinds of cancer. I know she's not gone yet and I know miracles do happen still but she's tired. Im going to miss her like you wouldn't belive but like I said I'm thankful for the past 38 years

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm truly grateful for my "boat family" the core group has been together for a long while, the "new guy" has only been with us 2 1/2 years. Today I was sechduled to be back on the boat at noon Wednesday, this afternoon I sent another capt a text asking if he would stay one more day so I could have one more night with mom before coming back bc I don't belive she'll make it through the hitch, there was never a question as to if he would stay his reply was go be with your mom.

I'm also thankful for the friends that I hunt with that have become family over the years. They have truly been one hell of a support base the past year and this past week they have helped me more than they can possibly imagine, I've screamed, cried, cussed, and went insane on more than one occasion.

I'm also thankful for 2 ex gf's that have kept my phone and FB blown up this past week checking on me and encouraging me.

Last but certianly not least I'm grateful for the past 38 years I've got to know the wonderful lady I am blessed to call mom. I've seen her struggle through hard times and always come out on top of the pile. I've watched her suffer heartache like I can't even start to comprehend after her husband passed, and I've watched her suffer through now 3 different kinds of cancer. I know she's not gone yet and I know miracles do happen still but she's tired. Im going to miss her like you wouldn't belive but like I said I'm thankful for the past 38 years

Sending lots of hugs capttrae, Your mum is truly blessed to know you are there for her.

(My mum was diagnosed with Terminal cancer 6 years ago, she is still the most stubborn and strongest member in our family)

xL

• 1 month later...
i'm one last deposit away from paying off mother's debt. ONE. oh gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwddddddddddddd the RELIEEEEEEFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! That was quite a burden placed on you.

I hereby nominate you as "Daughter of the Year" Rainy.

That was a very nice thing to do for your mom.

As for me? I am thankful I got a good night's sleep last night.

It's been hit or miss with me lately.

I'm grateful for my health. I know so many people dealing with health issues. Sometimes they're quite serious and come on suddenly.

Also, grateful for this forum. Sometimes I don't like to bringing up the same subject to a friend and other times just don't want them in my business. Glad I can vent here.

Kat, i inherited the debt from my late mother-- i wasn't aware she was indebted until she was nearing the end. i'm just glad it's about to be in the past, it's caused me such anxiety for the past two years.

i'm also grateful to have healthy teeth. after seeing a friend all swollen...ouch...i forget how that's one struggle i don't know.

sleep is a blessing indeed.

Kat, i inherited the debt from my late mother-- i wasn't aware she was indebted until she was nearing the end. i'm just glad it's about to be in the past, it's caused me such anxiety for the past two years.

i'm also grateful to have healthy teeth. after seeing a friend all swollen...ouch...i forget how that's one struggle i don't know.

sleep is a blessing indeed.

Oh I'm sorry, and my condolences... I lost my mom too in 2014 (and my dad).

Fortunately, they had no debts.

Yeah, a good night's sleep is such a rarity for me, I am always SUPER thankful when it happens.

I'm tickled pink that OPEC and non OPEC countries agreed to cut oil production. Work will be picking back up soon, pay will go back up with it, and I'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief and get on with the plans I've put on hold for the past couple years of a new house and peice of ground

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been the hardest off time ever. That being said I'm very grateful for the medical staff at St Bernard hospital that took excellent care of mom while she was there, truly great ppl, very courteous and professional, much respect for the nurses, doctors, oncology team and hospice. Also the professionalism of the funeral home more great ppl. I'm also very grateful that Mom is no longer suffering and is back with Floyd, yes I miss her and will continue to miss her, I'm sure the moments of tears aren't through yet, but I know she's happy. I'm thankful I was there for the last 5 days she was still on this planet, I'm glad we got to have a few more conversations about the good times we had while I was growing up, and thankful for the 39 years I had with her, couldn't have asked for a better mom. Also my friends and family that helped me. One friend of mine put me on a John Deere 8830 w/ a 28' cultivator behind it and said get on it, my aunt and uncle that came up day of the service, I was bouncing all over creation, my aunt jumped in and helped prepare the food while my uncle did the dishes. Then my uncle and cousin came back up a day after the service to help load furniture. My gf came up a couple days later and brought with her a calming for me. The days with her was busy, but the nights with her were nothing short of miraculous, just a calm peaceful feeling, almost a feeling of completion feeling her laying next to me at night, skin on skin, her head on my chest just peaceful. I'm thankful for second chances bc sometimes you have to try it again to get it right. I'm thankful for my boat family and the capt that came back early so I could get off and go be with mom. I'm grateful for my friends up here that have become family. I'm truly a blessed man.

I'm grateful for my two beautiful, healthy daughters. So blessed. My youngest daughter had a friend who was found dead Sunday morning, only 19. Bright future, now gone. Constantly crying/grieving for his loss and his family's loss, and trying to help my daughter get through this. SO GRATEFUL that I have her. She is the treasure of my life.

Wow.

Captain, Seraphimvic, Mines... moving posts each of you. I am a little misty over here and I am somewhat of an ice queen.

Captain your writing is exemplary. You could write compelling fiction. Maybe you've heard that a lot. Or maybe not at all, because you write (here anyway) in the vernacular. It is quite good because of the concrete detail, the clarity of your voice, the sincerity of your voice. You employ detail to convey meaning in a way that is powerful.

My mom bought her first house on Friday and she was so worried and stressed that she wouldn't have much help moving and getting things done. Turns out my entire family came from many parts of the state to help her move all her things, make sure she had food in her fridge, food for the new stray kitties outside, and treats for her own cats to help ease them into a new house. I'm so grateful that I have a wonderful family that rearranged their entire weekend to be here to support her.

My mom bought her first house on Friday and she was so worried and stressed that she wouldn't have much help moving and getting things done. Turns out my entire family came from many parts of the state to help her move all her things, make sure she had food in her fridge, food for the new stray kitties outside, and treats for her own cats to help ease them into a new house. I'm so grateful that I have a wonderful family that rearranged their entire weekend to be here to support her.

Feels good to see how your own show up like that.

Archived