Bright socks with a suit

This came up on another thread and I'm curious to know if this is a trend in other parts of North America or other parts of the world.

Here it's quite common for men to wear nice, well tailored black or grey suits with bright socks - pink, orange, blue. More recently I've also seen more guys going a step further and matching the socks with bright colored shoelaces.

Have any of you seen this?

And another question that came up in the other thread - would this pass in an interview for a serious, well paid professional job? (My initial thought is that in an interview you always play it super safe and boring in general but curious to hear if anyone else would wear it.)

Never saw that. Are we talking just when the guy is going out for a night on the town? I could see that being the case then I suppose. Never, ever do that for a job interview if it's in a more conservative profession. Maybe if you're trying to get a job in a Hollywood producer's office though. A far better thing to do is go check out what people wear at the place you're interested in being hired at to see how everyone dresses. Then dress accodingly--i.e. if everyone you see walking in and out of the office is wearing suits with colorful socks you are halfway there to being one of them.

A far better thing to do is go check out what people wear at the place you're interested in being hired at to see how everyone dresses.

My husband is interviewing for jobs and we're in the same profession. In our profession/city this is very common. (And no, we're not in IT, lol..)

Still, I would be worried that in an interview it could be perceived as too flashy. You want them to judge you by substance not wardrobe.

I would not go for that for an interview. Like I said it's very distracting. All the interviewer would be doing would be staring at the socks.

I agree.

Oh, and we're not on the West Coast.

I wonder if it's a trend in New York. I know I've seen it in Montreal so probably..

The advice on job interviews is it is far better to err on the side of conservative if you are in a profession that requires 'business' attire. For women that means no cleavage, not too 'girly', skirts not too short, not too trendy, conservative makeup and hair, very subdued perfume (if any at all). For men that means a dark business suit with matching black socks and 'business' lace ups/loafers, a conservative tie, white shirt etc.

The goal is to present a professional impression and have the focus be on your skills and abilities and not 'expressing' your wilder/non-professional side.

I dig the bright socks look.

I would wear them if the meeting is for a high-level, rain-making position, where a bit of leniency is granted and exuberance is expected (if indeed it is, in your industry).

Otherwise, nothing trendy, cool socks included. Nice shoes, not cheap ones. Hermes tie if in the financial industry. Bright socks, maybe, on the last round with colleagues. IF you know what is "in" for your particular work group.

At first: trustworthy, reliable, predictable. No surprises. Bright socks undermine that goal.

I completely agree with you, LD. Although I must say I also think sometimes people take these things too far. I had someone tell me a woman is never to wear red in an interview because its considered sexual, and a woman is never to wear a skirt or dress. I think that's going too far.

I've never been influenced by a candidate's outfit in an interview. Never noticed anything out of place. I think other than extremes, the interviewer is much more interested in what you say than what you wear. Within reasons.

It's also changing with time. We are becoming more funky in our dress and old rules often no longer apply.

I was at an industry event this week - formal dress code - and I probably counted 10 guys with bright socks and even a couple with bright shoelaces. It's really not shocking here.

>>I was at an industry event this week - formal dress code - and I probably counted 10 guys with bright socks and even a couple with bright shoelaces. It's really not shocking here.

But that's a conference and not an interview. BIG difference. Once you are hired, you can lighten up a bit, but I don't think a desire to wear pink socks is worth jeopardizing a potential job offer!

I completely agree with you, LD. Although I must say I also think sometimes people take these things too far. I had someone tell me a woman is never to wear red in an interview because its considered sexual, and a woman is never to wear a skirt or dress. I think that's going too far.

I've never been influenced by a candidate's outfit in an interview. Never noticed anything out of place. I think other than extremes, the interviewer is much more interested in what you say than what you wear. Within reasons.

It's also changing with time. We are becoming more funky in our dress and old rules often no longer apply.

I was at an industry event this week - formal dress code - and I probably counted 10 guys with bright socks and even a couple with bright shoelaces. It's really not shocking here.

Jeez, some real followers in this industry eh? As an interviewer, you need to put aside your own taste and think about how your companies clients may react instead, which of course you can't predict so conservative should be the default.

You should evaluate what industry you are getting interviewed for before selecting your wardrobe. Unless you are going for an artistic career or fashion modeling, you should only wear conservative colors like blue, black, gray, or tan.

Stay away from Red. It is a power color. Only use if you are interviewing for a management/administrative position. I learned this from my sister who works in politics.

I think people try this because they want to stand out. However, you should be remembered by how you communicate in interviews and what answers you have that talks about your level of experience.

Archived