Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating - A Woman's Journal

missmarple

25€ for tasting four wines sounds expensive, sorry it wasn't all that fun.

I've been disappointed by the bar scene around where I live too. It's usually tiny, very few chairs and table to sit in and people comes in group, and usually don't engage conversation with others.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25€ for tasting four wines sounds expensive, sorry it wasn't all that fun.

The price was for tasting seven wines...but there was no way I could drink 3 more and my friend was getting very tired, so, we left early-ish. At 10.30.

Miss Marple, you are a real trooper for being willing to go to another one! I can't believe your friend had to sit in the corner.

Yeah, the incident with my friend was the worst part. You'd think that when the event is for ages 34-58, someone would think about having chairs around!!!

Was it at a winery? I go wine tasting and I've never been to a winery that had enough seating! I'm sorry it was a bust. Better luck next time!

No, it was just a bar and we were sitting on stools around the barman. I did tell the girl who was in charge that you couldn't really meet/talk to people in that environment...the whole area was the size of my bathroom.

I went back to the dating site to take a look after a week...I found some friend requests by youngsters/grandpas/married guys and a few emails by people I wasn't interested in. One of the emails was kinda interesting though.

It's a guy I went out with once about, I think, 6 months ago. I had liked him and the date..we had gotten along well or so I thought, he had told me a lot about his exes (wife and last gf) and we had laughed a lot, too. The next day I had texted him saying I had a good time and asking how he was and he had replied he's fine and he had had fun, too, but nothing about a second date. I had kept him on my list for a while but he didn't contact me again, so, I took him off.

A couple months after that he had messaged me on the site asking how I'm doing and stuff I had said I'm fine and that was that.

A couple months later he sent me a friend request on the site which I ignored.

Then, today, when I went on the site, he sent an email asking if I want to go out with him tonight. I replied that I have other plans and maybe some other time, he said ok, have fun, we'll arrange something 'in the future'.

I'm thinking I'll go out with him once more if he does ask again...not because I expect anything romantic to happen (I think it's obvious that he doesn't see me that way) but just because he's a pleasant guy and we did have fun on our date.

lol, i wish i could have gone with you to the wine tasting!! i would have helped you polish off the wine and chatted with the 37 year olds, haha!

Lol, Annie!

And Miss M, it really sounds like the person that organized the event blew it. She didn't take onto account the physical environment nor did she consider the range of ages. Plus there should have been food there, since alcohol was being served.

Hope the next one is better organized.

Alonso messaged me on the site, asked what I'm up to and if I have met anyone and said he's missed me...yeah, right, that's why he's been asking me to go out...NOT.

How about responding -thanks for the sentiment -why do you want to know if I've met anyone?

How about responding -thanks for the sentiment -why do you want to know if I've met anyone?

Well, he didn't ask me straight away. We talked for a few minutes, I asked how his life is going and he asked the same and just added that question. It would feel unnatural to ask why do you want to know.

Well, he didn't ask me straight away. We talked for a few minutes, I asked how his life is going and he asked the same and just added that question. It would feel unnatural to ask why do you want to know.

Oh ok -if you also inquired into his life then it was fine that he asked you. I was in situations like that where the guy easily could have made a plan but didn't - and I refused to make it even easier. Why?

Oh ok -if you also inquired into his life then it was fine that he asked you. I was in situations like that where the guy easily could have made a plan but didn't - and I refused to make it even easier. Why?

Exactly. He had no problem asking me out the first time.

Soooooooooo, I had one more chat with Alonso last night, on the site again. He initiated it. We talked for a few minutes, then I asked him what he's doing this weekend. He said he's working this morning (Saturday) but, then, he's off work for 2 days and asked about my plans. I said I don't have anything planned yet and the convo went like this:

A: There's a football game on TV tomorrow, I'm going to watch that, I think.

me: Me, too, if nothing else comes up.

A: Maybe we could go for a drink after the game but it's gonna be very late.... (it would be close to midnight!)

me: Nah, it will be too late to go out. But we could meet on Sunday for a coffee or something?

A: That could work unless I have my son over.

me: Let me know tomorrow?

A: By the way, it would have to be early in the afternoon because I'm playing football at 8 (he's in an amateur team)

me: I can't make it before 7pm, unfortunately.

A: Oh, too bad...

me: Oh, well, maybe we can arrange it some other time when we're both free.

That was that. I think I showed him I'm interested in going out with him again and he's the one who should suggest the next date. Right?

Yea I agree, his move next.

He sounds lukewarm..

He IS lukewarm...considering we went out over 2 weeks ago and he hasn't asked me out again..lol. The only reason I keep talking to him is because I had enjoyed the date and he's a pleasant conversationalist. I don't expect much from all this.

I just made a date for Monday with a new guy.

Julio is 42, a financial analyst, 6'1, brown hair and eyes, good-looking, single, no kids. He had been on my list for some time but we were never online at the same time until today. We talked for a while and we seemed to communicate well. Then he asked for my phone number, called and asked me to meet. I suggested Monday and he agreed. We'll be meeting at 7.30pm at a very cute cafe that I've never visited with an online guy before..hopefully, it will bring me luck..lol

I just made a date for Monday with a new guy.

Julio is 42, a financial analyst, 6'1, brown hair and eyes, good-looking, single, no kids. He had been on my list for some time but we were never online at the same time until today. We talked for a while and we seemed to communicate well. Then he asked for my phone number, called and asked me to meet. I suggested Monday and he agreed. We'll be meeting at 7.30pm at a very cute cafe that I've never visited with an online guy before..hopefully, it will bring me luck..lol

That sounds nice! Good luck!

The date with Julio was nice in general. The conversation was easy, we had enough things in common and he looked good, too. He touched me often, he smiled a lot and he's very clever although you can't tell from the beginning..he's on the quiet side. He seemed interested in seeing me again (he asked what I like to do when I go out, what are my favourite places, etc) but he didn't ask for a second date...he just said 'we'll talk' which is never a good sign..lol.

The only thing about him that I didn't like was that I think he may be cheap. When the bill came, I left a 5 euro note on the table for my coffee and he just left 1 euro to complete the sum (both our coffees cost 3 euros each). Not a big deal if the other person is a friend or a boyfriend but I was taken aback by a new acquaintance doing that. I didn't expect him to pay for me but I didn't want to pay for him, either!

Is tipping not done much in your country? If so, I'm not surprised he left 1 euro if you left 5 down before him. Because then that would complete your bill and you don't have to go fiddling around for change.

It's not a matter of tipping/not tipping. It's that I had no intention of paying for him and I only left that note because I didn't have any change. It's not even about money, it's that I didn't like what he did.

When I'm out with a guy I haven't met before (or a woman, for that matter), I don't just assume that the other person wants to pay for me, too, and that's what he did.

Archived