Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating - A Woman's Journal

missmarple

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New guy.

Jim is 49, divorced with a 23yo son, works for a company, 6'1, black hair, brown eyes, nice looking...and loves sailing. We only talked once on the site and he asked for my phone number..he'll call me this afternoon...so, to be continued.

Another new guy.

John is 40, single, no kids, a math teacher, 6'2, brown hair and eyes, athletic and cute...and he lives close to me...and he likes cooking...always a plus..lol. He's currently away on vacation until August 18 but we'll stay in touch until then and, hopefully, we'll get to meet when he's back.

Jim called me. I'm not thrilled. First of all, he said he's 52, I asked him why he had put 49, he said it must be a mistake (yeah, right). Anyway, I kept talking to him. He's been divorced for 10 years, lives by himself, with a cat and 2 dogs and works for a publishing company. He also has a boat. I didn't like his phone style much (he talked as if he was bored or something) but he said he was coming down with a cold, so, that might have played a part. After about 15 minutes I told him that I'm not a phone person and I'd rather we met in person. He suggested a cafe we could go to that sounded very nice but he didn't say when, he just asked what time can he call me to arrange a meeting. I said that as long as he calls in the morning, it should be ok to meet in the evening if I don't have other plans. He said ok. I could have suggested tomorrow but, frankly, I didn't feel like it.

It is very difficult to remember one's age!!! I mean, with all the things he has to remember everyday, like wearing socks, feeding the pets, etc...

Ha ha! Actually, my boyfriend forgot his age once. He said something about being 31, and I said, "Umm... you're 32." He was like, "No I'm not." When I insisted, he said, "Really?!" and paused for a moment to do the math before saying, "Wow, I am. That's depressing." I keep thinking I'm 27 instead of 26 for some reason.

Not that Jim did that. You don't just "accidentally" forget about three years.

I haven't heard anything from Ted although I've seen him online a couple of times in the last few days. Considering it's been over 3 days since we last spoke, I guess he's just one more guy who says he'll call and he doesn't...and, actually, even if he does call, I don't think I'm interested any more.

John talked to me on the site for a while last night. He hasn't asked for my phone number which makes me wonder if he's just interested in a chat buddy while he's away.

Edited to add: John just deleted me from his list. I guess I was right about what he really wanted.

Many people who say they will call mean it at the moment they say it then change their minds later. I do think it's wrong to make an actual date -time and place - and then cancel without an emergency-type excuse (like James did).

Is the online chat function kind of a necessary feature of that site or are you able to disable it? One thing that I found with OLD is that the faster I disable the chat features, the fewer tire kickers I wasted my time on. For me at least, it seemed like those who are all into the chat thing are invariably either bored guys in relationships and essentially looking to cheat, messed up tire kickers or creeps. Sticking to exchanging barely a few e-mails, no chit chat and just meeting up weeded out a lot of trash.

New guy.

Zack is 45, single, no kids, a computer programmer, 6'2, black hair, brown eyes and good looking. We just talked for the first time today and he wanted to meet but I told him I'm leaving on Friday, so, I'd rather leave it for after my holidays (I'll be back on August 5) and he agreed. For now, he's on my list.

I have a date for tomorrow with a guy I used to chat with months ago.

Bryan is 48, a teacher, single, no kids, 6ft, brown hair and eyes and we had first talked when I was new on the site..almost a year ago. We had talked for a few days and then he had disappeared. He told me that he had had problems with his computer and then he got a gf and stayed away from the site. They only dated for a few months because, according to him, she was divorced with kids and could only meet during the weekend and, even then, he felt like she only wanted him for sex. They never went out together, she usually just went to his house for sex. Eventually, he broke up with her.

Anyway, I told him I'm leaving on Friday and he insisted we should meet before that, so, we made a coffee date for tomorrow.

My date with Bryan was fun. We have many things in common. He's an only child, too, loves the sea, animals, reading and the computer. He comes from a town 2 hours away but his parents are both dead. He's lived abroad for years and only came to live in my city a few years ago. Interesting guy, very talkative...we spent over an hour talking about holiday destinations..lol. I couldn't tell if there was any chemistry between us but I told him I'll call him on Saturday although I'll be out of town because it's his birthday. I think we could be good friends.

Sort of a weird question missmarple, but what do you think you like in guys in terms of chemistry? Seems like you have some connection with some dates but you only envision friendship. What are they lacking and/or what are you looking for? What makes you go "wow!" in terms of men? Just curious.

...monkey sex, lol.

Sort of a weird question missmarple, but what do you think you like in guys in terms of chemistry? Seems like you have some connection with some dates but you only envision friendship. What are they lacking and/or what are you looking for? What makes you go "wow!" in terms of men? Just curious.

...monkey sex, lol.

Well, I have had some dates where I felt a connection but they didn't go anywhere...the last one was maybe a month ago with a guy who had said he'd 'call me on Friday when he'd be back from a business trip' and he never did. All the rest were either nice guys I could only see myself being friends with or not so nice guys I never wanted to see again..lol

I don't like something in particular...I can't tell you I like blue eyes or guys with lots of humour, etc..it depends. Also, when I say I can see myself being friends with someone doesn't mean that some time in the future I couldn't be with them. Most of my relationships started with friendship and maybe that's my problem with online dating - that I need time and most men aren't willing to invest the time...because we all go on many dates and, I imagine, they prefer women who are more...obvious?

How about developing a friendship simultaneously with the romantic aspect ,with the only difference being perhaps waiting longer to have actual sex (I write this because you have written that you don't like to wait too long because you feel the need to have sex earlier on to see if you are sexually compatible) so that you don't feel like things are being rushed in the romance department.

I agree with Batya, you can pursue the romantic part in conjunction with building a friendship with a guy, but you don't have to hop into bed right away. This could give you the time you need while also holding the guys' interest. You don't want to give off too much of a "friendship" vibe or else he'll just assume that you're not interested and move on, thus ruining your chances.

LOL..girls, in case you haven't noticed (especially Batya who's been following my journal for a long time), I haven't even gone as far as kissing with guys I meet online. The few guys I went on a second date with turned out to be not to my liking for various reasons.

LOL..girls, in case you haven't noticed (especially Batya who's been following my journal for a long time), I haven't even gone as far as kissing with guys I meet online. The few guys I went on a second date with turned out to be not to my liking for various reasons.

I understand which is why I put it the way I did in my post. I was commenting on your general view of the role and timing of sex in a dating relationship. (as I think Fudgie was as well).

Archived