Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating - A Woman's Journal

missmarple

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a date for tomorrow with a new guy. We've been emailing/talking on the phone for a couple of days and it so happened that a friend I had plans with for tomorrow cancelled on me while I was talking to him online, so, I asked him if he's free, he said he is and we're meeting tomorrow evening.

Ted is 47, single, no kids, works for a company and lives very close to me. He's 5'11, brown hair, green eyes, with a sweet face and a smoker although he's trying to quit. He sounds very lively, talks a lot and really fast (I told him that he has to slow down when we meet..lol) and he's a Libra (my favourite star sign). His parents live about 2 hours away and he has an older sister who's married and has 3 boys. He told me he never felt the need to have kids himself although he loves his nephews. So, to be continued...

Have fun with Ted! Do you ever discover that you and the guy have mutual friends/acquaintances? That used to happen to me fairly often when I used those sites.

Not very often, no. I live in a very big city (over 5 million people). Only once I think it happened.

Not very often, no. I live in a very big city (over 5 million people). Only once I think it happened.

So did I but it happened fairly regularly (or at least only a few degrees of separation). Made it easier to meet knowing we knew the same people.

New guy, new date...for Sunday this time.

Gaston is 45, divorced with 2 kids (boy 10, girl 9), a computer programmer, 6ft tall, black hair, brown eyes and has this look of attractive geek that I like.

When he first messaged me, I was sceptical about his kids' age but he told me that his wife (with the kids) are about to move out of town because of her job. He told me that what he's looking for is a serious relationship..he's been divorced for 3 years and hasn't had anything serious since then. Then he asked for my phone number and called me and we talked for a while. He's soft spoken and at first I thought it meant he's shy but he's not.

He's an only child like me, he likes animals, he lives relatively close (less than half an hour away) and he was eager to meet. He's been on the site for 2 weeks and hasn't met anyone in person yet. So, first he suggested we meet tomorrow at his house to watch Brazil-Netherlands (we're both big football fans), I told him he can forget about me going to his house on a first date and, then, he suggested we go swimming on Sunday morning but I was busy.

I told him we could arrange something for next week (as there's the final on Sunday) but he insisted, so, we made a date for early Sunday evening before the match. He also told me he'll call me tomorrow, too. I hope he won't be Jon no2..lol

Swimming seems like an odd suggestion for a first meet, IMHO.

Yeah, I know but it's common over here. The temperatures in July are usually between 37 to 40 C (for the Americans out there, that means 97 to 104 F), so, it's not unusual and I've done it before (not this time around).

Yeah, I know but it's common over here. The temperatures in July are usually between 37 to 40 C (for the Americans out there, that means 97 to 104 F), so, it's not unusual and I've done it before (not this time around).

I guess it seemed odd in the sense that not everyone is willing to reveal that much flesh on the first go-around. Or, maybe they are! lol

The date with Ted was fun. I liked his face very much, he has great green eyes and a baby face..exactly my type. Body wise he's a bit fat (a belly, basically) but nothing ugly. He also looks much younger than his age. Personality wise, at first, I didn't know what to make of him as he was very open but, slowly, I got used to his style and enjoyed it. He didn't ask me many questions but it was obvious he was nervous so I didn't mind that much. He told me lots of things about himself and his life but he wasn't boring and it turned out we had some common memories. From what I understand, he has many friends and values his independence highly and that was one of the reasons he never got married.

He's new on the site and he told me I'm the third woman he meets and the first 'honest' one. About the previous two, he said that they didn't even look like their pics.

He seemed to like me and, at the end, he said we should do this again and asked what I'm doing tomorrow. I told him I have plans but we can arrange something for next week and I also told him I'm leaving on the 25th for 2 weeks. So, he said he'll call me...we'll see...I'd like to see him again. I'm not sure we would be compatible for a relationship but I had a good time.

Gaston, my date for tonight, called me to say good morning and ask a couple details about the place we're going (he hasn't been there before).

I'm not sure about this guy at all. I think he may be a bit TOO soft spoken for me and also a bit nervous...it could be because he's new at online dating and I'll be the first woman he meets in person. He just sounds...awkward. Anyway, at least, because of the final tonight, I'll only be bored for a short time..lol

Ted texted me good morning, I replied and he continued texting. After 6 or 7 messages I told him that I'm not really a text person and it's better to continue in person when he's free and he called me...and we talked for 20 minutes. He told me he's off work very late except on the weekends but we could go for a drink if it's ok with me to meet at around 10. I told him I don't have a problem with time as long as he lets me know the day before....and then we talked for the WC final for a while (both crazy football fans..lol) and we didn't arrange a date but he said he'll call me in the next few days. So, we'll see.

I find that odd about Ted -so he joins a dating site, he makes time to meet you and he apparently wants to date someone but he's limited to a 10pm drink during the week and he didn't try to plan something for next weekend? No, I wouldn't delete him but I think given all that and his wishy washiness he should be off your radar - I agree with "we'll see".

I find that odd about Ted -so he joins a dating site, he makes time to meet you and he apparently wants to date someone but he's limited to a 10pm drink during the week and he didn't try to plan something for next weekend? No, I wouldn't delete him but I think given all that and his wishy washiness he should be off your radar - I agree with "we'll see".

Well, he had told me last night that he's off work at 9 every night, so, today, when we talked, I first suggested next Saturday but he said he'd like to see me before that if I could. I mean my impression was that he'll ask me to meet on Saturday, too...but, of course, I can't be sure.

Kane just called and suggested to come and pick me up and go see the final together with some friends of his. I told him I have plans but he wouldn't hung up. Then he said that we should go out for a drink in the next 3 days as he doesn't have to work. I thanked him and said I'm not sure, I'm too busy, we'll see. Why don't some men get the hint?

Why don't you just say "no thanks I'm not interested"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a lady dodges me, ignore my text or mail, I get the hint I'm bothering her and she doesn't want to go on dating.

My experience taught me that very rarely a lady will openly tell you "I'm not interested", unfortunately. That's something you have to guess by yourself.

I say it as soon as I know I'm not interested. That way they don't waste their time and I don't have to deal with awkwardly trying to dodge their advances.

Often times I get thanked for being direct. I've only had a couple try to negotiate with me...which is a further indication as to our incompatibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, in the past, I have said I'm not interested but that was when someone was open with me. I mean, if Kane told me he likes me, flirted, etc, it would be easier to tell him that. But, both when we went out and in his texts/phonecalls, he acts 'friendly' and that makes it harder to tell him 'I don't want to see you again'.

Anyway, my date with Gaston: he's not really my type looks-wise but not ugly either. At first, I was very bored but, gradually, we managed to have a nice chat and he opened up. He seems to be balanced and easygoing. For the first half hour he wouldn't even look me in the eye...he talked and looked anywhere else...at my nose, my mouth, my cheek...lol. Eventually, he managed to look at my eyes, too (yay ). Anyway, we exchanged stories about our exes, talked about football (naturally), animals, computers and other stuff. He said he'll call me to meet again and I think I'd meet him once more...even though I feel we're maybe better suited as friends.

James messaged me on the site and asked me if I'm free tonight. I told him that I had expected him to call me in the weekend, like he'd said, he said he would today if he didn't see me online. Anyway, we're meeting at 9pm at the same place we had met before.

I'm much less excited about it than I was at first...right now I'm more curious than anything else.

Well, James texted me 2 hours before the date (just like the last time) saying sorry, he can't make it. I replied that it's ok and that I'd appreciate it if he didn't try to talk to me again. Then, I deleted and blocked his name on the site. Enough is enough.

Well, James texted me 2 hours before the date (just like the last time) saying sorry, he can't make it. I replied that it's ok and that I'd appreciate it if he didn't try to talk to me again. Then, I deleted and blocked his name on the site. Enough is enough.

Good move. It's not a big surprise - his behavior was perfectly consistent. The same thing happened to me at least once (when I gave the guy another chance) when I was on OLD sites.

Archived