Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating - A Woman's Journal

missmarple

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gotten some bad news.

During the hysterectomy they found cancer in the uterus. The surgery took care of it, initially, but I'll need to have chemo, too. 6 sessions in the next 3 months, starting next week. The doctors are very optimistic, however, it was a big shock for me and my parents. For now, I'm taking things one day at a time, I feel lucky as the oncologist said I AM lucky that it was this particular type of cancer that, although rare for my age, is very responsive to chemo and it hadn't spread anywhere else (I've had MRI's, x rays, etc, etc, to make sure of that). Also, after this news, I decided to quit smoking..no need to challenge my luck any further. I've already cut down to 1/3 than I used to smoke and I smoke less every day..the plan is to not smoke at all when chemo starts.

Re. the guy I've been talking to, he wanted to meet, so, today I wrote him an email telling him all that (in a few words)..I won't blame him if he decides not to meet me during this time but I had to let him know.

oh missmarple. I'm so sorry that you're going through this now and so glad you have a good prognosis and treatment plan. I hope chemo isn't too rough and that it takes care of the problem once and for all. Good luck with quitting smoking - I've heard it is so hard, but it's certainly the right thing to do. My grandmother quit smoking after getting lung cancer maybe 35 years ago; she quit cold turkey and never smoked again but told me when I was little she still had cravings. (And she's still alive at 89 years old!)

Sending you lots of good vibes and best wishes. I hope your friends and family are giving you lots of love and support.

So sorry you are going through this, MM. It is always a terrible shock to hear that C word when the doctor is talking to you- and then you don't hear anything else, because you are still trying to process the diagnosis.

Take a friend or family member to take notes, or record your visits so that you can get the information you need .

So glad to hear about your good prognosis!

Good luck on quitting smoking. It took my mom a long time to quit, but it must have been the right thing because she is,still alive at 95.

I am a 7 year breast cancer survivor, also with an excellent prognosis.

Hugs, MM

Im so sorry to hear that. But its good that the prognosis is positive and you will be okay. I wish you the best in your recovery and congratulations on quitting smoking. I did it cold turkey in my 20's and it wasn't too bad after a month or so.

Take care of yourself! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending you good thoughts, MM. Sorry to hear about the bad news, but it's followed by good! I'm proud of you for deciding to quit smoking. I wish you the absolute best luck with it.

Please continue posting on here about your journey and dating life. We'd all love to hear from you.

Thank you all so much..your kind words and support really mean a lot! I'm lucky to have both my parents and a few very good friends by my side during this time, too.

In other news, the guy I've been talking to (George, 51) replied to my email that he does want to meet me as soon as I can...we'll probably arrange something next week.

So sorry to hear about the cancer MM, but glad to hear the outlook is so positive, hope the treatment work wonders!

Also good to hear you decided to quit smoking, though I've heard of people in their 90s still smoking and cancer free, far more I've heard had health issues due to smoking, so it's great you made this decision!

I had my first chemo session today. It went well but lasted 5 hours...the doc said the first time always lasts longer. There was a 'hair-protector' thingy like a helmet to wear but I couldn't stand it...it was really cold and the moment I wore it, I took it off. I'll just look for a nice wig I won't go back to school before January..I decided it today when the doc told me that next week and every next week after chemo i'll have to have daily injections that can cause pain. Combined with the loss of hair, school will have to do without me for 3 more months.

In other news, George and I will meet on Friday

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing anything on their heads here during chemo...that's interesting.

My mom wasn't supposed to lose her hair but it thinned quite a bit and she lost her eyebrows and eyelashes. She would never get a wig, but I think if my hair was thinning or fell out from chemo I would look into getting one. I think any sense of normalcy is good...a lot changes during chemo. I'm sorry about the injections...and the chemo...and the cancer. That sucks so much It won't be easy, but hopefully your side effects will be tolerable. Keep in mind that you should talk to your doctor about side effects. I know for my mom they were completely able to control her nausea with meds. Which helps...because food tastes change enough as it is.

I'm glad you have family to support you right now. Make sure you remember to eat...even when you don't feel like it....you need the calories right now.

Keep us posted as best as you can.

Have you removed your hair or are you going to wait? (Sorry, I tried thinking of a nicer way to say that and couldn't

LOL, it's ok, my hair is the last thing on my mind right now...health comes first. I have it cut very short for now (I've always worn it short, anyway) so, the moment it starts falling off, I'll shave it all off and I'll be ready with my wig and scarves and hats and stuff.

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing anything on their heads here during chemo...that's interesting.

Over here (Europe) it's been used since the 80's, I think. It's like a frozen helmet..but really cold...-25 C. Doc told me 99% of women tolerate it...no idea how! He did say though that those who have migraines (and my sinusitis does lead to migraines at times) are the ones who usually have a problem with it. In any case, I'd rather lose my hair than my head (that's what it felt like..lol).

Archived