Open Club  ·  113 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating - A Woman's Journal

missmarple

I just talked with a new guy on the phone.

John (and not Jon..lol) is 48, single, 5'8, light hair/blue eyes, very good-looking and works at a bank. He sounded normal on the phone and we talked about general stuff for about 15 minutes. He told me he'd like to meet some time this week but he didn't commit to a day. He said he sprained his ankle about 10 days ago and it still hurts, so, he'd like to let it rest for 2-3 more days but he'll call me again. I said ok, as long as you don't call at the last minute.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter messaged me on the site and we talked for about 20 mins. He asked how my weekend was and told me about his, too..but no mention of meeting tomorrow or of a second date. He said his daughter came back from her holidays yesterday and brought him some local desserts and asked if I'd like to try some (when or where unknown). Then he said how sweet and pretty I am...and then I told him I have to go to bed.

He has until Wednesday to ask for that second date...a week is my limit. If he doesn't, well, too bad.

Yes, he treated you respectfully and he sounds insecure enough that it is often a turn-off - he seemed on the clingier side/needy side when you weren't interested in a first or second date -those are such early days and perhaps his reaction was a bit over the top. The needy stuff isn't that nice especially if it intensifies as you date.

I took Peter off my list. Once more, he messaged me on the site and talked about all sorts of irrelevant things and then he stopped talking, I asked if he's there, he said I'm on the phone, hold on and then he went offline and didn't come back..and, well, I'm not interested in talking to him again.

My date with Jim was pretty good although it didn't start well. He was 15 minutes late..he got lost and he was on the phone to me for all that time..I was giving him directions..lol Eventually, he managed to find the cafe. He looked better than his pics..sweet face and smile and a bit on the big side which was fine by me. A very nice cologne, too.

We only stayed together for an hour (he had a business meeting afterwards) but it was interesting. We talked about stuff like our online dating experiences, our last relationships (not in much detail), jobs, holidays and, in general, we went easily from topic to topic. I felt very comfortable with him and we both laughed a lot although he was tired (he'd been on meetings before, too).

By the end of that hour he asked what I thought of him and I replied that I'd like to see him again...he said the same and that he'll call me

Peter texted me (3 days after I took him off my list and 10 days after our one and only date) asking how I am. I didn't reply and don't plan to.

Idiots must be targetting me...I can't explain it any other way. I just wish guys who don't know what they want would leave me alone.

Just talked to a new guy...who, after 6-7 emails back and forth, wouldn't ask me a single question about myself..he only answered questions about himself and asked for more pics so, I sent him one last email saying there's no need to continue communicating.

It's a good thing that I'm going on vacation next week..this is a really dry spell.

No news from Jim? What happened? I thought you were interested in him.

I was..and, supposedly, he was, too. He called that one time after the date to say he was going on a trip...and nothing since then.

I'm getting used to guys acting interested and then disappearing.

I was..and, supposedly, he was, too. He called that one time after the date to say he was going on a trip...and nothing since then.

I'm getting used to guys acting interested and then disappearing.

The way I saw it - there was no "acting interested" unless we had an actual date, time and place, planned. The words might be interest or might not be since I barely knew the person. People who are interested in seeing you want to close the deal ASAP even if it means planning weeks in advance. That way there's also no disappearing since he never appeared in the first place -to me disappearing is making a specific plan then not re-confirming or not showing up. Otherwise he's not really appearing in your life in any relevant way so he's not disappearing either -he's simply not asking you out again. To me that mindset is closer to reality and lowers the risk of jadedness (which can happen cumulatively if you think of it as "interested, then poof")

Well, to me, if someone asks if I want to see him again and says he'd like to see me again, too, and calls the next day is 'acting interested'...the opposite is say nothing about seeing me again and never contact me after the date...which has happened many times, too, and in those cases it was all good. But I'll never understand guys who say they want to see you again (and not just a general comment like 'we'll talk', which I've come to find means 'we won't talk'..lol), call or text the very next day and then go poof. The first 2-3 times this had happened I had thought oh, ok they met someone else...but it has happened so many times by now, after 2 years of dating online, that I don't know what to think any more. Not that it matters...I just find it odd.

That happened to me many, many times. At the end of the date he would say "I want to see you again" and I would enthusiastically respond "me too!" or "want to see a movie next weekend" and I would positively respond. I walked away and my mindset was "we will see each other again if he follows up with a time/place.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to 2 new guys today...one online, one on the phone.

Ron is 51, 5'10, brown hair/eyes, nice-looking, a winery owner, divorced for 7 yrs with 2 sons, 23/18. He lives about 20 mins away and we talked on the phone for about 10 minutes. He sounded nice and talkative and he paid me some compliments, too...well, in a way! He said my pics must be old, I said they're not (my main pic I uploaded today and it's from the holidays I just came back from) and he said I look very young and sweet. Then he had to go out but he said he'll call me back tomorrow...I said ok and that I don't believe in talking on the phone much, I'd rather meet someone soon..he said he's the same, so, we'll see if he arranges a date.

Luke is 54, 6ft, grey hair/brown eyes, also good looking, also divorced with 2 kids and a civil servant. We only talked online for about 10 minutes because I had to go but he writes very well and seems to be very polite. The problem is he's leaving for holidays tomorrow and he'll be back in about 10 days. However, he said he'll be coming online from his holidays (it's at his summer house about 2 hrs away) and we can talk on the net until he's back. He didn't ask for my phone number, though.

And, just like that, Ron is history. He messaged me on the site this morning, we talked for about 5 minutes and then I posted a smiley (this one ) and he goes 'I'm gonna suck that tongue'...and I deleted him. Idiots!

And then I got a message by Jon (the one I had gone on one date with and was all about himself and I told him it's not working) saying that my new pic is lovely. I thanked him and I hope he won't try to contact me again.

Archived