Balance between introvert and extrovert

Snow2tears

Hi, this is my first time posting here.

Lately I've been trying to figure out who I am as a person. My hobbies, interests, what I like and don't like. I really enjoy being alone, I feel very comfortable. I like to make DIY projects for myself and others, as well as read. I'm always trying to improve myself, for example working out and drinking green smoothies!

When I'm out in public with my friends, I'm also very happy and comfortable. I'm joining a lot of clubs and I'm not scared to meet new people. I guess you could say I'm confident.

Lately I've been wanting to spend more and more time alone, like I'm almost forcing myself to be okay with being alone (just recently broke up with a bf I was clingy too).

I don't know what I'm afraid of but maybe im starting to lose the balance between being okay with being alone and being comfortable around others BECAUSE I'm trying so hard? There are moments when I feel so unmotivated to do anything and all I can is mope around because I feel lonely. But when I'm out and about all I want to do is be at home alone. It's so weird. Anyone else feel that way?

First of all, welcome to eNA. There are a lot of good folks on here willing to impart a lot of good advice. I hope you can benefit from everyone's experiences.

Sounds like you may be suffering with a bout with depression. I felt that way, to a degree, when I was moving into a depressed state after some trauma with a former love.

If you are having some issues from the break up, you may want to talk to someone that could help you, i.e., a counselor/therapist, clergy, etc...

Talking out your feelings here on eNA can also help IF you are equipped to use the advice and move forward. This site has helped me greatly in the last seven weeks.

What do you think?

EDIT

I guess I missed the fact that you have posted on eNA previously. I was anxious to provide some help before I looked. Did you get anything from your other post(s) that you could use to help?

I don't agree with the depression comments, only because I've witnessed depression (maybe on a more grand scope?)

You are happy when at home and alone doing things for yourself and other people. You are happy and comfortable being out with friends and you are having fun. It almost sounds like you are being comfortable with who you are, and where you're at at this stage in your life. Don't try to hard to be anything because that isn't really isn't you and who really are.

Be careful to not get get to comfortable....I went through a period in my life where I really didn't care. THAT is not a place to be

Good Luck!

There are moments when I feel so unmotivated to do anything and all I can is mope around because I feel lonely. But when I'm out and about all I want to do is be at home alone.

She says she's happy when she's home, and happy doing things out! GREAT. But then she said, she recently broke up with bf and i get the feeling she is NOW feeling like the above.

I had a severe case of depression. This is a low grade....or the start of one. Depression can can vary in it's severity.

I suggested depression because:

Breakup.

No motivation.

Wants to be home alone.

Lonely.

Mhowe is correct! Sorry I didn't specify

I have never felt depression, or at least I don't believe so. But if you guys are correct than I think it's safe to say I'm a little scared now. Haha...

In a way I feel like I'm watching myself go through the days. Granted I have moments where I'm very happy! Especially when I take the time to care for myself. For example, working out, making crafts, indulging in my friends.

Is it weird that I still feel a void?

Mhowe is correct! Sorry I didn't specify

I have never felt depression, or at least I don't believe so. But if you guys are correct than I think it's safe to say I'm a little scared now. Haha...

In a way I feel like I'm watching myself go through the days. Granted I have moments where I'm very happy! Especially when I take the time to care for myself. For example, working out, making crafts, indulging in my friends.

Is it weird that I still feel a void?

No, it is not weird to feel a void. We've all, no doubt, felt that void or still do to some extent.

The moments where you are very happy are when you have your mind diverted into something that you enjoy, which is good.

Nevertheless, I stand by my post above. Depression can take many forms and different levels of severity. It is not something to be discounted lightly.

It really would not hurt to talk to a professional regarding this. A general physical with lab work could be a good start and lead into a discussion with your doctor.

PLEASE remember that the opinions on this forum are only just that - OPINIONS. We have the best in mind for you when giving our opinions, however, ONLY a professional can dig into the issue and come up with the best course of action. Ignoring this could make things worse.

To take no action is the easiest road to follow yet will develop into the road with the most potholes.

I'm only 17, and I wouldn't be able to get help without telling my parents about it. I don't think I'm depressed. Maybe it's just hormones! Haha, to us everything is much more dramatic

OK, I hear you. I see that you have concern about your parents knowing anything about your personal issues. That can be a problem - for you.

Self-diagnosis is a dangerous thing. We may not want to acknowledge that there are issues, however, you've stated enough here to warrant further discussion. In your original post, you stated that you have experienced a break up with your boyfriend. This, in itself, is depressing and not all of us are able to move past a break up and the resultant low feelings.

At least read the following reference:

link removed

There are ways to address this. I recommended that you have a general physical. I don't know if it is required in Canada prior to a school year commencing, however, if it has been a long time since you have had one, it would be a good time to ask your parents to schedule one for you. You do not have to divulge anything else to your parents at this time. A discussion with your physician, with an agreement of confidentiality, would be most beneficial to you. There is NO shame in seeking help.

Yes, teens go through a lot of changes and certain depressive type feelings will be involved. It's important that we understand what those feelings mean and it's what we do with those feelings that will chart what we do going forward.

I have three daughters that are all grown women now. One in particular hid her feelings from everyone in the family and depended upon her friends for counsel. She's regretting it to this day.

I'm not recommending anything that I would not recommend to any of my daughters. I don't want to see anything spiral out of control when help could have been sought. I'm not saying it is that serious and I'm not saying it's not. When someone comes on to a forum such as this and presents what appears to be a depression related issue, then we need to be serious in addressing this.

It is worth your time to at least look into what I've presented here.

Archived