Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

I'm Pretty Scared and Lost About Moving.. to LA/Austin. How do I do it?

JayR

I live in Denton, Texas right now. I don't like my family or my job and continuing my education into graduate school doesn't seem like a reasonable or cost-effective option. My dad and sister are just pressuring me, doling out bad advice, complaining and ordering me around in terms of job endeavors, life choices and the way I spend/save my money. I have told you all this before: I have to run errands for them (right now I'm taking my sister to and from work every working day, and yet another car my sister and I share is giving out) and I get segmented sleep. Every month I lose about $250 in my accounts because of the favors they ask from me. If I do get what they define as a "good job", what good is it if they keep syphoning money from me? If giving them money is the endgame, why even bother to look for better work around here?

In terms of moving, I know it's cliche but I want to go to Los Angeles or Austin; I think there are options there because I want to write/make films (and hopefully direct) for a living and they're far away (places my sister has vowed she'll never live). I understand the risks involved, I have no friends/family in those destinations (or in Denton, for that matter) but I feel like I am willing to crash at a motel, a church or a homeless shelter until I get some employment at least on par with my current job (I'm a glorified janitor at a grocery store). I've got some money ($10k), but I need a plan.

I really feel belittled in my family's presence, but I know that telling them that I want to move is gonna hurt.

How do I break the news, if I should? How do I plan my move? Is anyone here in the LA/southern Cal area? Austin, TX area? Any area with a promising film culture and/or industry?

Any ideas?

Wow I feel like you just need a big hug. I don't know how old you are, but I get the impression you've been a legal adult for a bit, are mentally stable, and capable of being independent. It is not your job to be an atm or taxicab for your family. I'm all for helping family when needed, but there is a huge difference between helping and encouraging dependency. What you're doing sounds more like the latter.

I don't know anything about the film industry, Los Angeles, or Austin. What I do know is you have a dream and you're willing to work hard to support yourself while you try to make that happen. So why not pick a destination, line up a job, and then just go. I don't think you have to announce anything to your family because all they will do is suck you back into their drama. If you don't leave now you'll always wonder what if. Don't be that person. That person will get old and bitter and wind up in a nursing home because their own family is too selfish to care for them.

The thing about LA is there are so many entertainment industry hopefuls there willing to work for peanuts that unless you have some major, major skills it's hard to even make rent ( and I say rent because you have to be very wealthy to own anything anywhere near LA). I don't know what you education and experience are, but they will need to be substantial to keep from starving in LA.

I can't speak for Austin, but I've been to L.A. once. I visited for a weekend and came back with a really bad sinus infection because the air quality is very polluted. Plus it's a very, very expensive place to live and they have the worst traffic rush hour in the country. I also agree with pl3asehelp's post as well... you got to have major talents to make it and have connections in the film industry to have a job with them.

OP have you tried entering in film festivals? I suggest you start there before trying to go to L.A. for a film career. In fact why not try freelance novel writing and get it published? A LOT of movies coming out this year are based on many popular fiction titles (Ender's Game, Hunger Games/Catching Fire, World War Z, Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, Marvel's Thor and Iron-Man, Kick-Ass, etc.).

Archived