Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Are Los Angelinos Just Trying to Keep More People From Moving to LA?

JayR

The few Los Angelinos (and other Californians) I meet talk about how hard it is to find work there and that it's not cracked up to what it's said to be.

No [expletive].

But there are nobodies who become household names rolling in the dough. (Ke$ha, Kevin Hart, Snookie, Kim Kardashian, Dane Cook etc.) Of course, I anticipate hardships: I'm willing to do the community shelter thing until I really get on my feet; I'm sure I can get a job very similar to the one I have now (janitor/cart collector in a supermarket). I have enough money to buy a used car outright and be content on sleeping in it, especially if it's a truck. Sure, I have no friends or family out there, but that's the point. I believe that I'm good as long as I'm in control of my life, as opposed to my Dad and sister controlling my life.

But really, is it that bad out there? Are you guys in Los Angeles just trying to preserve the LA atmoshpere and keep all the good stuff for yourselves by perpetuating a lie of disappointments?

I ask because I read somewhere that a lot of the crime and "disaster" reported in your local SoCal news isn't really accurate but only fodder meant to keep more people moving out and away...

And I know someone has advice that will continue to discourage me, and if you feel like that advice will go unheeded (hint: it just might) don't waste your time with that. I ask if you are willing to waste your time helping me, give me actual steps to maximize the process of moving and make the best of my plan. I have no intention on spending the rest of my life in Texas at this point, certainly not the way my life is.

What works? And tell me.

Archived