Facebook, my friend, and my diet.... :(

Look, there is not a one size fits all diet for everyone. There is a book about the correct diet for your blood type even! There are many different theories, but what it comes down to is HOW YOU FEEL.... If you eat McDonald's everyday you probably feel fine but would feel better with less processed stuff (even if you are totally shredded whilst eating it everyday)

Some people do ok with breads, some don't. Some people love meat, others claim it makes them sick etc etc

I get my fats from cuts of meat like most people recognize, only from clean sources.

Beef, pork, chicken, but from small local farms...no large scale CAFO meat.

I eat a lot of nuts, some olives/olive oil, and I supplement with about 5x the recommended dose of fish oil daily...that's in addition to eating fish once a week. Most of the fish I eat are wild fish I have caught, so I know the water quality, age, and condition of the fish before I decide to harvest it.

No grains, very little dairy, and nothing that requires a label to describe what it is.

I feel fantastic eating this way - I'll never change.

Bloomin 'eck. No wonder you feel fantastic. Your diet is very unprocessed and natural. I think you have a lot less saturated fat in your diet than you realise, because you go for lean organic cuts, by the sounds of it.

Living in London I can only dream about this kind of organic food intake. Round here, a clean source of meat, means the butcher didn't drop it on the floor before serving it.

But I do the best that I can. I'm on a very low income so I go to local markets for lots and lots of cheap vegetables and don't eat ready made meals etc. I also have cod liver oil supplements and eat oily fish 2-3 times a week.

I do feel a lot healthier at 44 years than I did at 25 because my diet was atricious back then. I'm surprised I able to maintain brain function for all those years.

Moontiger will you let me off the rest of the list because I want to go and watch the TV now.

Budda55 if you ate MacDonalds every single day, I highly doubt you would feel "fine" as you would be suffering from malnutrion and be deficient in a high number of nutrients. Yes you would survive but there would be some critical health concerns if you kept this up for a year.

Deci

Gingersmaps, the diet you are currently on is very unhealthy, even if it is only for a week. The problem isn't that you're eating fruits and vegetables per se, it's more the fact that you are only eating fruits and vegetables.

As has been pointed out, many people are vegetarians. However, if they are ingesting the appropriate amount of proteins, carbs, and fats from sources other than meat I'm fairly certain they won't feel the way you do right now.

I would strongly suggest stopping this diet, and trying something that won't make you feel horrible, but will make you lose weight. Like calorie counting!

Just as an aside, I think people are under the misconception that you can eat as much as you want of fruits and veggies because they are healthy. That is not entirely true. You always need to bear in mind that it is the calorific content, and the protein/carb/fat breakdown of what you are eating that matters.

Just to elaborate:

1 medium sized banana is 105 calories, has 1.3 g of protein, 27 g of carbs, and 0.4 g of fat.

With the 315 calories you'd ingest if you ate 3 bananas a day, you could have had 250 grams of chicken (and that's alot of chicken)! Not only would you feel fuller, you would have gained some much needed protein and fat (53.5 g and 7.7 g, respectively, to be exact).

Your body would probably adjust to it. I dated a guy who ate fast food a minimum of 5 times a week I would say.... He was very built. I doubt his Bp and cholesterol was great, but he never complained about not feeling well.

LOL! Don't tell Ronald McDonald about this guy because they will be signing him as there No.1 poster guy.

I think the body can take a lot of punishment when we are younger. For instance, you recover from excess alcohol a lot more quickly at 20 than you do at 45.

I don't think your body "adjusts" to a poor diet. It's like smoking 60 a day for decades. Your body doesn't adjust to the point where it no longer experiences the damaging side effects of ciggerettes. It doesn't thrive on the nicoteine. It copes as well as it can - until it doesn't.

With malnutrition your body is continually trying to compensate for the nutrients that it needs and find ways to cope. This means that it is not thriving as well as it could, and you are more likely to be susceptible to colds, anemia, infections and experience poor wound healing. This may not be obvious on the surface.

And that is in the short term.

In the long term, suddenly at age 40 you are dealing with heart disease, excess fat around the internal organs, obesity, brittle bones, diabetes, high blood pressure, specific types of cancer, stroke and an iron deficiency. These ailments aren't automatically linked to the aging process. They are linked to decades of malnutrition.

Of course I'm speaking statistically here.

As I said earlier, poor nutrition affects different people in a different ways - or even not that much. As we know, some individuals will never be affected and cheerfully die at the age of 92 having eaten rubbish, smoked like a chimney and downed a bottle of vodka each day. Or visa versa. Look at poor Steve Jobs.

I also think "feeling fine" is relative. After a year of McDonald's you may swear up and down that you "feel fine," but really and truly, how do you know what fine is.

Deci

I was overweight a few years ago by about 80lbs or so. I am 5'3" and weighed about 200lbs. Eventually I got sick of feeling tired, sluggish and just generally crappy all the time, so in 2006 I changed my lifestyle. I didn't "go on a diet" I changed everything about the way I ate and what I ate.

I have not entered a McDonalds or any other fastfood restaurant like it since 2006 and now whenever I am around people who DO eat the food from these places, the smell of it literally makes me sick. I can't imagine how any of that actually ever smelled GOOD to me (and once upon a time it did, because that was all I ate). I didn't realize JUST how ill I felt all the time until I stopped eating there - nor did I realize just how gross that food was, or the effect it was having on my body.

I am 120lbs now and though I fluctuate from time to time, I am a lot healthier now at 30 than I ever was at 24.

OP if you really want to do this, I would avoid giant "clenses" and fasts the way you are doing them. Even if it is just temporary the moment you go back to your old habits (as others have said) that weight will pile right back on. It needs to be a lifetsyle change for it to work.

All I'm gonna say is.......wow, I never knew how strong of opinions people had for/againsts "diets". My personal belief is that different diets work for different people. Everyone has a different metabolism, and who's to say that one diet doesn't work against the other?

The reason I followed this particular diet is because I had a family member who wanted to try it out, and I just agreed to try it out with her. I wasn't forced, I wasn't unprepared, and I was definitely not going to go back to my old eating habits after the diet was done(they consisted of cheeseburgers, movie popcorn, and lots and lots of chocolate pretzels). My intention after doing this diet was to start going to the gym on a scheadule and to consistently keep at a low carb/low glycemic diet.

Most people won't be surprised at this, but I did end up putting protein back into my diet on the fourth day of the week I did this extreme fast. It was really really hard to eat vegetables and fruits only, but I will say that this week has been pretty much the first week of my life where I actually ate vegetables at every meal. I will also honestly admit that I don't feel addictions to foods that I used to not be able to live a day without.

Even if the weight will come back on because it's water weight, I still won't feel bad about doing this to my body because it gave me a new perspective on what food I can and can't live without. The people that I researched doing this fast have the same positive reaction to it as well.

Thank you for all your responses to this thread! I honestly and sincereley appreciate every single one.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived